What kind of oil consumption can I expect on my V10?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

What kind of oil consumption can I expect on my V10?

Post by stevek »

I was checking the dip stick yesterday, and was surprised it was a quart low.
What kind of oil consumption are you getting between oil changes? If any?
Any other options. Different oil? Viscosity?
Does driving habits affect oil consumption?
Or just live with it?
Thanks.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
randallrae

Re: What kind of oil consumption can I expect on my V10?

Post by randallrae »

Remember that when your oil is changed it will NOT show to the top hole on the dipstick , but about halfway between the two holes . That being said I change oil about every 3000 miles , and experience very little consumption at that time . As oil gets older and dirtier it begins to be consumed at a greater rate .
P.S. The top hole indicates the MAXIMUM oil level allowed .
2012 25' rb
whemme

Post by whemme »

Steve, you did not say how many miles were on the oil when you found it 1 quart low.

My first 1999 Born Free 24' RB coach with the 275 HP V10 gas engine used about 1 quart of oil every 1500 miles even when new. My current 2002 Born Free 26' RSB coach with the 305 HP V10 gas engine uses less than 1 quart in 4500 miles when I typically change it using 5W-30 oil. Why the difference between the two engines I don't know. I never considered the 1 quart usage ever 1500 miles to be excessive.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Steve, the following is from my posting on 9/12/12.

Steve, you will find many different opinions on the subject of type and viscosity of oil. As for me, I use full synthetic Amsoil Signature series 5W30 in both the V10 and the Onan Generator. Coach now has 101,000+ miles and the generator 1,000+ hours and both start and run as good as new. According to the Ford diagnostics program, run a couple of months ago, the compression in all cylinders was excellent along with all the other important items. I do use the Ford recommended oil filter as I understand it has a different valving system than most of the other filters on the market. I change filters every 5,000 miles and oil change at 15,000.

Oil consumption between changes was minimal, normally 1/2 quart or less.
Mel & Connie
whemme

Post by whemme »

I have always wondered how synthetic oil handled the inevitable buildup of contaminates due to combustion blow by and acids during the long duration between oil changes. Changing the filter more often would not eliminate the acid buildup problem.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

I change my own oil 5w-20 Valvoline Syntec 5 quart jug $22.95 + 1 quart + filter is still under $35 . This is cheap enough to allow frequent oil changes .
Note: In the Ford owners manual under Special Operating Conditions ; every 5000 miles OR 6 months change oil and filter and lubricate U joints , every 30000 miles repack front wheel bearings . Operating under heavy loads is considered a special operating condition . I will replace transmission fluid at 30000 .
2012 25' rb
Ray

Post by Ray »

I have been thinking about changing to synthetic - someone told me there is a special formulation for older higher mileage vehicles that is recommended due to the wear.

Anyone heard of that?
karls

Post by karls »

I change the Amsoil synthetic once a year, which is about 10K miles. Consumption at 204,220 miles is a quart per 4-5000 miles. Amazing compared to things 40-50 years ago!

I try to drive the RV 30 minutes at least once a month just to spread a fresh coat of oil around the inside of the engine.
stevek

Post by stevek »

Sorry, been gone.
Thanks everybody for comments and advice.

I changed my oil at 11,285.
Noticed it was about a quart low at 13,530.
So guess thats no too bad at about 2,300 miles of driving.

I use Mobil 1...5w-20, 5 qt jug from walmart + 1 qt.
Use the stock Motorcraft Oil Filter FL-820s, also from walmart.

I was planning on changing oil every 5000 miles, so looks like 2 qts of burnt oil?
A qt every 2500 miles.
I am a very easy driver.

Lesson learned... i will have to start checking my dip stick more frequently.. :D
Thought I could get by between oil changes, but guess not.

So guess I nothing to worry about.

PS....Also see walmart carries Royal Purple.
But did not see Amsoil.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

5 quart + 1quart right?
2012 25' rb
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

The following is an email I received from AMSOIL Tech Service 2/27/2003 regarding viscosity.
Attachments
AMSOIL email .jpeg
AMSOIL email .jpeg (80.05 KiB) Viewed 12691 times
Mel & Connie
Ray

Post by Ray »

From what I am reading it sounds like the high mileage synthetic formulation is the best for a 2001 Triton V10 considering the engine. Although it sounds like I will have to start checking my oil level between oil changes, it appears that that the synthetic could cause some oil consumption that I am not used to. I suppose as I watch it for a while I may gain some confidence.

Still not sure which viscosity I should use. Seems like there is some debate on that.

I guess I am lucky, of the 9 engines that I currently maintain none of them consume enough oil between oil changes that can be accurately gauged by the dipstick.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I too wonder about the divergent recommendations for viscosity. Ford recommends 5W30 in my 2001 owner's manual. I suppose Ford may have changed recommended at some point. Would posters on this thread like to clue me in as to why you do not use the recommended viscosity or clarify that you use something other than 5w30 because you own a year model that has a different recommendation?
Last edited by Dallas Baillio on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

My 2012 owners manual says 5w20 , you can check with Ford sometimes they will recommend oil that differs from your owners manual because of improvements in the newer oils.
2012 25' rb
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

A bad experience with a '79 Accord and Mobil 1 has caused me to be less progressive regarding synthetics since then. I take the view that dino oil is less risky and when changed frequently it is just as effective. The Accord was not designed for 5W20 and was not building enough oil pressure to pump the light weight oil throughout the engine. At the time synthetics were brand new and I went with the Mobil 1 because I was driving 1-2K miles per week and the Honda's oil filter was above the static oil level so I could change the oil filter at a rest stop, top off and be back on the road in 5 minutes. And, I changed the oil every 12-15K so it wasn't sitting for months/years with old acidic oil eating bearing surfaces. At ~50K it was using a quart every 2K and I switched back to 10W40 dino. (The higher viscosity decreased the consumption to tolerable levels.)

Car manufacturers will recommend the lowest weight oil they can because the lighter oil means less resistance to the moving parts of the engine and increases their fuel efficiency ratings. They have designed modern engines to use the lighter weight oils - smaller oil ports and passages to allow sufficient oil pressures at operating speeds/temps. The smaller ports can also prevent heavier/thicker oils from flowing in sufficient volumes throughout the engine so there is definitely an optimum range.

It's hard to overcome a lifetime mindset that says there's no such thing as over lubricating - then you see a Ford V10 truck with 5w20 oil. It surely makes you raise an eyebrow! I find myself at odds with the vehicle manufacturers since my priority is longevity first and fuel efficiency is secondary.

So with that background here are my recommendations:

1. Someone mentioned the high line on the dipstick is the maximum level. That is true and it is to your advantage to keep it at the max. I wouldn't let a dealer get away with leaving it a 1/2 quart low when changing oil anymore than I would let them over fill it. An engine 1 qt low has 15% more contaminants/given volume.

2. Assuming the mfr has recommended the lightest weight oil possible, as soon as the warranty period ends move up 1 grade. I run my trucks with 15W40 or 20W50 and my cars with 10W40.
I might vary this depending on weather and whether I use the vehicle for short trips or predominantly long trips.

3. I used to change the oil in my gas engines every 3K miles and diesels every 5K on the button when we lived in northern CA and we were driving 30K+/yr. Now that we're retired we drive much differently. I now change the gas engines every 5K or once per year and the diesels every 5K - 7500 or once per year. If the Born Free (diesel) has 4-5K on the oil and I know that it will be in the barn for several months I change it so that it isn't sitting for months with acidic oil in it.

Steve, be sure and check oil levels immediately after having service. I've had them under and over fill more often than you'd think. If you change your own be sure to start the engine and circulate the oil good before checking the final level - a new oil filter will fill up with up to a quart when first starting the engine after an oil change. Consider using a heavier oil to reduce consumption. If that violates conditions of warranty I wouldn't do it til out of warranty. Also check what ford considers to be excess usage and take it in before the warranty expires if you can.
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”