Anyone tow a Honda Fit?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ddbowen

Anyone tow a Honda Fit?

Post by ddbowen »

Wondered if anyone had experience towing a Honda Fit with automatic transmission?
Steve W

Re: Anyone tow a Honda Fit?

Post by Steve W »

Not a Honda Fit, but we did tow a Honda CRV with automatic and AWD. The vehicle towed well but getting going every morning was a bit of a nuisance as the engine first had to be run for a bit, then there was a procedure for running through the gears on the transmission. To add to the negative side of the Honda, one could only go so many miles before a stop had to be made and the procedure repeated. We now tow a Toyota Corolla which has a manual transmission and is 900 lbs lighter. A definite improvement.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Use the search link above and search "Honda Fit" (without the quotation marks) and you will get many hits.

Also search "Andy Baird" on Google. He has a Lazy Daze Class C, has an extensive set of web pages, and has a section, with photos, of adapting his motorhome to tow a Honda Fit. Click on Skylarking, then under 2009 click on Having a Fit and then Follow the Leader.

Here is the initial link.

http://www.andybaird.com/travels/skylarking/
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
ddbowen

Post by ddbowen »

Thanks Steve! Heard there were some downsides to towing Hondas, so may take a look at other brands. I prefer simple.

Dallas, thanks for the link. Went right by it, and it had everything I was looking for including a tow bar comparison and review

Thanks again
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Keep in mind that most automatic transmission automobiles require modification to be towed four wheels down. I tow a 97 Honda CRV with AT. It is one of the few that do not require modification. It is true that towing it requires a series of steps as described by Steve W. I owned the CRV when I purchased my BF in 2002 and thought myself fortunate to own an AT car that needed no modification to be towed. I have not found towing preparation to be a problem.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
ddbowen

Post by ddbowen »

Dallas Baillio wrote:Keep in mind that most automatic transmission automobiles require modification to be towed four wheels down. I tow a 97 Honda CRV with AT. It is one of the few that do not require modification. It is true that towing it requires a series of steps as described by Steve W. I owned the CRV when I purchased my BF in 2002 and thought myself fortunate to own an AT car that needed no modification to be towed. I have not found towing preparation to be a problem.

Dallas, I assume by modification you mean adding pumps or other transmission add-ons? I'm ok with the Honda shifter shuffle before towing and the limits on tow speed and duration. In fact we have a 2005 Pilot, (04-05 are the only ones Honda owners manual says are towable), but it weighs in over 4,400 lbs. We'd like something much lighter so that we could pack it with a few of our heavier items. Thanks for the tip on your CRV. That may be a good option.
wood9988

Post by wood9988 »

I've been towing a FIT (2010) for some time. I hardly know its right behind me.
I have removed the #16 fuse (radio) to keep the battery from running down. I don't replace the fuse to take it on trips, shopping, etc. It's just safely kept in the glove compartment.
The FIT does sit rather low so watch the steep drive ways as you will drag somewhat.
What other questions do you have?
stevek

Post by stevek »

I understand the new 2015 Fits can not be towed.
Not even the manual trans.
Anybody know why?
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

stevek wrote:I understand the new 2015 Fits can not be towed.
Not even the manual trans.
Anybody know why?
I don't see any Hondas listed in the 2015 Dinghy Towing Guide: http://webcontent.goodsam.com/motorhome ... yGuide.pdf

Perhaps Honda doesn't want to stand behind their transmission warranty if the vehicle is towed?

Have you thought about towing a Ford C-Max Hybrid automatic four-down? About the same size, maybe a little larger than the Honda Fit, fits four people plus, nice riding, and better gas mileage. I haven't set mine up for towing yet since I still tow my Smart Car, but think I will if I ever sell the Smart.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
dowellcj

Post by dowellcj »

In 2015 Honda changed to a Continuous Variable Transmission, so they can no longer be towed. I think it has to do with upgrading technology and meeting fuel efficiency standards.

Caryl
Caryl & Tom Dowell
Sequim, WA
2015 Splendor (27 RSB)
Prior coach 2008 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”