Is this a covered up window?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

stevek

Is this a covered up window?

Post by stevek »

I saw this at a RV Park. Never did see the owner, to ask.
If it was a covered up window, was a very neat job.
Do you think it was done at the Factory?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.22.43 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-10 at 9.22.43 AM.png (81.18 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 9.22.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 9.22.39 PM.png (461.15 KiB) Viewed 6280 times
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bfadmin
Site Admin

Re: Is this a covered up window?

Post by bfadmin »

The Answer: Yes it is.

The following information was emailed to me by Kim Olson at the Born Free factory and I am posting that info below:

The answer is yes it is!

It is a fiberglass kit that we the factory will only install in Humboldt Iowa for $1,700.00 plus tax

This kit eliminates the window so there will never be any future maintenance or replacement of the front window on 1992 through 2004 coaches.

We can also supply photos of a finished kit installed inside and out.

We will not ship the kit, it has to be installed at our factory and we will need the coach overnight to let the sealant set up before we can move the coach.

KIM OLSON
BORN FREE

The above information posted by Website Administrator bfadmin-2.
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Looks just like the one I had installed on my 2002 coach. That opening never did leak after I put it on. The inside is finished with the same carpet headliner material that was originally installed in the coach and matched perfectly.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Tahoe

Post by Tahoe »

It looks very good. We still have the window on our 2002, and between us, and the original owner there has never been any leakage. Is leakage common? Our weather stripping is still in nice flexible shape, probably due to the original owner keeping it indoors. We really like the added light and view from the overhead, so it would be a last resort for us to have it removed, but I can undrstand why someone would do this.
Russ and Denise
2002 24RB
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

Leaks on this window are common. That's why the factory developed the fix shown. I tried having that window leak sealed locally. The technician removed the window, cleaned the fiberglass and the frame and rebedded it using a urethane material similar to that which is used to seal a car window. It still leaked. Over a period of several months he tried to reseal the window on at least 3 more occasions before I gave up and took the coach to the factory and had them fix it. Never leaked again. I've sold the coach and perhaps the current owner might let us know if it is still not leaking if he sees this post. I never missed the light from that window.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Cabover window leaks are not just a BF problem. I've been hearing about leaks and rock damage on various brands for over 25 years. Our Lance cabover camper required new caulk yearly after about year 5. It was a pain but I loved the view and light (and I'm just as happy to not have the hassles on our 2005 BF).
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”