Steering wheel shimmy when the brakes are applied SOMETIMES

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

obxchas

Steering wheel shimmy when the brakes are applied SOMETIMES

Post by obxchas »

Hello all,
I am hoping someone has run across this issue in the past, I have a 2000 26RB and I get a wicked shimmy in the streering wheel when I apply the brakes. Now here's the part I can't figure out, it doesn't happen all the time. Just recently I have installed new brakes all around including both rear calipers and rotors (the passenger side was hanging up). The front calipers and rotors were replaced a little over a year ago and if the issue occurred all the time I would of replaced them as well, the rotors looked fine and I replaced and lubed the caliper slide hardware when I installed new pads. If the front rotors were the cause of the issue the wheel would shimmy all time, so I'm kind of leaning towards tie rod ends or may be lower ball joints.
Thanks in advance for any advice,
Charles Thuman
bcope01

Re: Steering wheel shimmy when the brakes are applied SOMETI

Post by bcope01 »

Maybe the heat from applying your brakes hard cause the front rotors to warp.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

It could be a number of things... but if it were the rotors, if they're warped again and you'll warm them up they'll cause the shudder. You an replicate that regularly. Cool rotors don't shudder, but hot ones begin to.

Likely you're right, it's ball joints or tie rod ends... or some other front end component. Go to your local front-end guy and have him figure it out for you.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
obxchas

Post by obxchas »

Thanks for the imput, there is no rhythm or reason for when the shimming starts and stops. First start out and the wheel shakes when stopping, go down the road for half an hour and it doesn't. Also when it does happen the wheel shakes back and forth very quick , not like what a warped rotor would feel like.
obxchas

Post by obxchas »

As a follow up, today a buddy came over and we went over the front end components. First he moved the steering wheel back and forth while I was under the truck, I saw no play and everything moved evenly. Next we jacked up each tire and used my 4 foot pry bar under the tires to see if there was any ball joint play, there was none. Then using the pry bar I pushed and pulled on all of the connection points and found no play once again. I am wondering if there might be some air in front part of the system that might cause the ABS controller to act up, and pluse fluid from side to side making the wheel shimmy.
Thanks again for any advice,
Charles
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I'd still go with warped front rotors. That was my problem with the same symptoms. Turned rotors, problem disappeared for a couple of years. Problem returned when I had to stand on the brakes for an emergency stop. I think the rotors are undersized for an overloaded Class C motor home. After all, they were designed for a much lighter van. Plus every time you turn them (shave off metal, reduce thickness), they are more susceptible to warping. Maybe someone makes an aftermarket rotor that will stand up better to the heat.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”