Charge Line for Toad Battery & added accessory circuits

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

ebaron

Charge Line for Toad Battery & added accessory circuits

Post by ebaron »

Going to be going for a long trip for our first time with a toad, Jeep Wrangler. I searched and could not find anything so here goes. I'd like to run a charge line on the BF to the 7 pin connector for the Jeep to charge the battery. I see a pretty clear shot to run the wire underneath, but wondering if anyone has any tips if they have done the same.

I'm also going to run wires for a rear switched light and rear view camera so I can switch it on on demand. At the same time, I'll be installing an on board air system for the air bags.

Any tips to wire route to get power from under hood? Any avaialable wires from fuse box that may be pre- wired for accessories? I noticed that there is 4 pin connector under hood near weather strip in a holder, waiting to be plugged into some thing. I also noticed under the dash, it looks like Born Free added a 4 position fuse block with some hefty wires. One block is unused, but is wired. Any one know where these circuits are run to?

Will also be running switch wires up to overhead console. Assuming the windshield pillar is best route. I see wires running from under the body through a pass through on rear of drivers door sill.

Lastly, I plan to fuse charge wire at both ends, at the Born free after power source and at the Jeep battery. Was not planning yet to install one of those Toad charge relays, but can add if necessary. Thanks for any tips, I'm mainly looking for preferred wire routes, existing power taps that may already be available to save time and have a clean install.

This is being done on a 2008 27 RSB.

Thanks!
Ed
2008 27RSB
randallrae

Re: Charge Line for Toad Battery & added accessory circuits

Post by randallrae »

With the coach off ,lights ,engine, etc take a volt meter and check pin #1 to chassis .{top right pin on coach connector ) If you read 12 volts that is your battery feed and charge wire .
2012 25' rb
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Ed,
Our BF model has a couch on the driver’s side making it easy to run the wires under the kitchen counter inside the coach and keep them hidden. As you are planning, I ran the wires to the front through the driver’s side rocker panel. The windshield pillar is an easy path to the top. I put a small hole in the steering column boot to get through the firewall.

The U.S. Gear brake kit that I installed came with 2 circuit breakers that mount near the batteries.
Instead of using fuses to connect the charge wire, you might consider using these:

Bussmann (BP/CBC-20B-RP) 20 Amp Type-I Stud Mount Circuit Breaker with Crosswise Bracket
https://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-CBC- ... B009WQPDXC
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

Thanks!
Unfortunately my connector on BF does not have charge wire, just lights.

Thanks for the tip on circuit breaker, I should have though of that before getting inline fuseholders. I'm assuming those breakers reset themselves?

Thanks for the routing tips. Progress should begin today.
Ed
2008 27RSB
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

The breakers do reset themselves—I tested them before installation but have no way of knowing if they have tripped while we travel. I used 12 gauge wire for the battery charge circuit with the 20amp breakers. I painted the breaker posts with liquid electrical tape to prevent corrosion.

While you are doing the wiring, it’s a good time to inspect all of the ground connectors and frame connections. I like to take them loose, replace if necessary, clean to bare metal and coat everything with grease. I usually replace ground wires with 12 or 10 gauge wire and copper ring connectors.

Have fun doing the installation! -- Chuck
Attachments
20 amp breaker.jpg
20 amp breaker.jpg (270.1 KiB) Viewed 8480 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

ebaron wrote:Going to be going for a long trip for our first time with a toad, Jeep Wrangler. I searched and could not find anything so here goes. I'd like to run a charge line on the BF to the 7 pin connector for the Jeep to charge the battery.
This is being done on a 2008 27 RSB.

Thanks!
Using a '16 Jeep Wrangler JKU as my towed behind my 32RQ and having now towed it several thousand miles and using a standard Brake Buddy setup, I have to ask... why are you concerned about charging the battery on the Jeep? Do you have something on inside that will be a problem?

The Brake Buddy uses very little juice, and I've never had an issue with the Jeep not starting. I do carry a set of jumper cables, but it's just not been an issue.
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

Roger,
I've assumed that the Brake Buddy would drain the battery or if the ignition switch went to accessory. I've heard others having issues, so that was my concern. I have it run now, justvfew connections, so we'll see.
Ed
2008 27RSB
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

Thanks all for the info!
So here's my progress so far and info for others that may need it.
Under Chassis routing:
- Routing underneath chassis is fairly straight forward on drivers side.
- use 1/2 convoluted plastic wire loom, fairly cheap, matches what is there now. Our trailer , welding shop had it for 0.29 / ft. You'll need 20+ ft if you run wires from driver door step.
- For the charge wire, I used 10 gauge. I decided to run from house battery connection at batteries. These get charged by alternator, so I thought why bother running wire all the way upfront, when there is already a thick battery wire to here from upfront.
- There are some loom loops / clamps underneath that have enough space for the added loom. Be sure to have a square drive screwdriver and a bit for drill/ driver to make it easy.
- Use good tiewraps to tie to existing looms where there is not a loop that can be used. By following existing wire looms you'll have many places to tie too. I also used 1 or 2 1/2 nylon cable clamps which I screwed in, and that was only because I was running air lines also and followed a different path.
Routing wires to front of coach.
- I'm running wires for rear light, rear view camera power and also decided to run trailer brake wire, as I may be towing a trailer with electric brakes.
- Getting wires into coach is easy upfront. Remove step coverc( snaps off) and you'll see lots of space specifically for wires. There is also a rubber pass through to get wires underneath.
-Also removed side kick panel to get under dash.
-To get wires to upper console, the windshield pillar cover must be removed. Snap off carefully. Upper part might be tough.
- Lower cover of upper console removes after pulling screw covers and mounting screws. You'll see where you need snake wires from pillar, just follow existing wires.
-under dash next to fusebox, I found a 4 bank fuse block that was added, likely BF. One circuit was not used, yellow wire, already run under dash. You may need to pull off cover under steering column for easier routing. That is what I used to power switches up above at upper console. I'm also adding a 12v accessory up there for GPS, as I don't like the dangling cords.
-Console looks like 3/4 plywood, so you may have problems mounting switches, etc. I'm making a panel from steel and then will cut slot is console. If it turns out good, I'll post a picture
Rear View Camera Wire Routing at Rear wall.
-since I was already running wires underneath, I used the same loom for rear view camera and switchable light. another option is to run inside, but this route was easiest for me due to other wiring.
- with a rear side bed, you can remove shelf which is an access panel for shower faucet. From here you can see a route from up above and to the storage compartment below. Open top cabinet, carefully pull back upholstery near shower side. You should be able to feel rear 3rd brake light wires. I simply dropped a light chain from here, between the wall on shower side, to lower compartment.
-will run wire and mount camera and light next.
Ed
2008 27RSB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”