Ordering new 22 ft rear side kitchen and seeking advice

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Karl

Ordering new 22 ft rear side kitchen and seeking advice

Post by Karl »

We currently have a 22 ft rear door model 2000 with only 35,0000 miles in excellent condition with overhead sleeper on a E450 V10 Ford.

We are looking to trade it or could sell it and want to order a new 22 ft rear side kitchen model. Let us know if anyone would be interested in the purchase of our current unit at $26,000. Excellent condition.

But most of all we are seeking advice on ordering the new coach. What options or changes would you recommend? Any general suggestions for ordering a new coach? Things to look for and things to be sure to do.

Thanks for any help. Karl Kleeman, Bellingham, WA 360-656-5451
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

By your signature, I see you have a dog, so I would highly recommend the ultra-leather seat and sofa. Much easier to keep clean and free from dog hair. I would also get all vinyl flooring, no carpet. Again, ease of cleaning.

I would also get the a/c with the remote thermostat so that the a/c unit shuts off when a pre-set temp is reached. I find the constantly running fan to be annoying. My previous "rigs" had ducted air with the thermostat and found that to be better for us. At least at night when the outside cooled off you didn't have to listen to the fan all night or get up to shut it off.

John
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

If it's not been made standard equipment equipment since I ordered my 22RSK last October (delivered in Feb 2010), I would add an 110 electric outlet on BOTH exterior sides of the coach and a cable outlet on the passenger side (outside) of the coach. Also, I prefer the upgraded digital thermostat AC/heat. It will allow you to have the fan run continuous or cycle (on AC). (I happen to sleep better with the fan running all night). Unless a change has been made, there is no carpet. I am totally pleased with the coach and the follow up from Kim at the factory with the few issues that came up after delivery. I traded my 2006 BFT to Born Free. No regrets. None.
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Hawkeye111

new unit configuration

Post by Hawkeye111 »

We are looking to upgrade to 24' rear bath and have been looking at options/features that we want to have. Gained input from a number of BF'ers, and here is the list to date:
-Florescent fixtures and incandescent fixtures (both as in the 2008 models)
-Wall A/C thermostat
-Firm sofa bed (better for sleeping)
-Order raised panels for cabinets ( someone said they are going to flat panel doors--I think raised panels are visually so superior)
-Inverter factory installed for 120 ac power from the battery system
-Electric door lock on the rear door
-Back up Camera
-Satellite radio
-Tank flush hose storage tube as on the 2008 models, not the net on the inside of a cargo door as the new models have--net will be difficult to clean
-Spare tire
-Roof air and generator
-Old style sofa bed (the new beds have part of the frame that extends downward into the basement area and limits the height available (I looked at a 2010 unit and the "new" sofa bed presented this problem. Ed Newman said the old style bed was still available)
-Intelligent converter such that the unit can be on shore power full time and not fry the batteries.

I probably will find that some of these are either not important of not cost effective, but to date this is what I am starting with for a shopping list.
Would appreciate more posts here so we all can learn from each other.
Thanks
jerseypete

ordering new 22 rsk and need advice

Post by jerseypete »

Consider adding a couple or even 1 100w solar panel and a three stage charger and monitor. Purchase these yourself from AM Solar and shipped directly to the factory for install. You will not have to worry about your batteries being undercharged or overcharged. I have not had to add any water to my 4 T-125 Trojans since purchase in early 2009.
Also, I had the factory install a macerator system, cost $650 inc. labor. No more hoses, just a garden hose that pumps uphill.
All depends.......
liginbf

Post by liginbf »

I took del. of a new 22 RSK in Sept. Changes made at the factory, we deleted the second chair by side door, added a outlet in galley by stove top. Changes since I took del. I removed the cabinet doors under stove top and added 3 drawers also removed cabinet door under wardrobe and added 2 drawers and put a second TV in cab over. We love this coach, sold a 26 RB no regrets. Just pack a little smarter now, getting about 10mpg over 2k miles. Also if you carry a spare it still fits under the couch, but has to be done from the inside. The ottoman in the picture is also a 3 drawer tool box.
Attachments
CIMG2253.JPG
(95.09 KiB) Downloaded 4704 times
CIMG2252.JPG
(98.62 KiB) Downloaded 4703 times
CIMG2254.JPG
(94.9 KiB) Downloaded 4712 times
Last edited by liginbf on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Karl

Born Free 22 side rear kitchen comments

Post by Karl »

Dennis, So good to hear from someone who purchased a 22 rear side kitchen model. My wife will be flying to Florida to see the two at the Born Free outlet in the Orlando area. She would love to visit with you. Is that possible? If so can you contact us at trainswa@comcast.net.

We are sorting through all the options and perhaps some changes. We also want drawers. At first we were thinking of having the factory put them in but are now thinking of adding them ourselves after we get the coach.

Hope to hear from you and thanks for the post.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Many are advocating no carpet - I would be inclined to agree especially with dogs. I was wondering, is there a loss of insulation in not having the foam and carpet? Cooler in winter and hotter in summer?

Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Brent wrote:Many are advocating no carpet - I would be inclined to agree especially with dogs. I was wondering, is there a loss of insulation in not having the foam and carpet? Cooler in winter and hotter in summer?

Brent
We have carpet in the salon and cab and oak in the rest of the coach. When it's down in the twenties the carpet is better on your tootsies. But the R-factor of carpet has got to be pretty insignificant.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
bookie71

Post by bookie71 »

We have the vinyl floor and highly recommend it. I have a friend with a fifth wheel trailer and they just tore out the carpeting and replaced with vinyl (easier to clean).
You can always put throw rugs down.
Chuck
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

We had a 22' side sofa sleeper motorhome and were never comfortable with the restricted space for two in the sofa bed so after two long trips switched to a 22' rear center door Born Free Built for Two and have been very satisfied. The two side twin beds work very well and give us a comfortable nights sleep and the ability to get in and out of bed easily and work very well for daytime seating. A good nights sleep and some personal space is so important to touring, especially on long tours. We found it is very important to be sure you will be comfortable with a sofabed for two or that one person can navigate and accept sleeping in a cabover in a coach like the Born Free RSK. Don't overlook the Born Free BFT center rear door with two twins is my advice. That model is also available with the larger overhanging cabover for those that want this.
Karl

Purchasing new born free

Post by Karl »

We have thought about the built for two with the twin beds. We currently have a 22 with the table and two chairs. We find this to be so very useful and comfortable. We eat, we work on our computers, we play games, we just use our nice chairs and table all the time.

It has been worth it for us. We have used different sleeping arrangements including one sleeping on the pull our sofa bed and one in the over the cab bed. And we have both slept in the over the cab bed. We have found this to be satisfactory and just would not give up our table and chairs.

Has anyone found a good way to eat and work with the double twin beds? The little table that you can set up does not seem very adequate. Friends who have one say they seldom use it.

But on trips we spend a lot of time in our little cozy house on wheels. Others who mostly use it to get from place to place might not feel the table and chairs are that useful.

All in all, in many discussions it depends on how you use your RV and the answer is different for different people. I guess that is why they have different models to choose from, not that people are different but that people use their RV in different ways.

Karl
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

The original BFT twins untill 2007 or so had a permanent swing out and rotate table that lived swung behind the drivers seat by day or up between the front seats at night. No set up required. This is what we have in our BFT and it works great for sitting across from each other on the twins with the table swung into the aisle with the back bolsters on the beds. Born Free apparently dropped the table because of excessive bearing wear and wobbling and breakage due to leaning on it. It was a great idea and avoided the set up needed for the current table. When we had a sofa bed captains chairs and pocket table motor home we loved the table and swivel chairs but we had to sleep crosswise with our feet on the chairs to make it work and had to get more comfortable sleeping conditions and the twins provided those conditions. So bye bye table and captain's chairs, and hello BFT Twins, sure wish we could have it all in a 22' unit though!
Karl

sleeping in the BF 22

Post by Karl »

We have the swivel chairs with the table and the over the cab bed and sofa bed. We have tried a number of different sleeping arrangements. We have settled on a rather interesting arrangement.

We open up the sofa bed. My wife likes to sleep propped up so she turns the front chair toward the sofa, moves it all the way forward so it just about touches the sofa bed and leans the seat all the way back, perfect for her.

I sleep on the sofa bed against the wall with my feet by hers. And our dog sleeps on the sofa bed next to me. We can all get up in the night without disturbing each other or having to crawl over each other except when the dog snuggles a little too close. What a happy crew.

As I said we each have found what works best. I challenge others to come up with a more unique sleeping arrangement. Grin. Bet the folks at Born Free never anticipated this sleeping arrangement.

Karl
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

Here are pictures we have of the table we use in our 2007 BFT with the two reclining twin beds. The factory built it for us when we ordered our BFT, from pics we had taken at an RV show of a similiar set up. We leave the table up at all times, fold down sides for travel and when not using the table. Pop up sides for dining, using computer, playing games, etc. At night lower sides and it's our end table for clock, glasses, etc. We have been very pleased with the set up and love our reclining beds.
Attachments
IMG_0001_2.jpg
IMG_0001_2.jpg (65.73 KiB) Viewed 14406 times
IMG_0001_1.jpg
IMG_0001_1.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 14406 times

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”