Rear Sway Bar Installation

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Steve W

Rear Sway Bar Installation

Post by Steve W »

We have a 24RB. We are considering having a sway bar installed in the rear due to a tendency of the coach to wander, especially during windy periods, but also when just driving down a roadway. My question is to whomever might have had this done; did it materially increase the ability of the vehicle to track straight? :?
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
stevek

Re: Rear Sway Bar Installation

Post by stevek »

I just attended an Escapees get together in Yuba City.
There was about 130 RVs.
Part of the events, the owner of Hendersons gave a talk.
To a novice like me. this guy really knew his stuff and seemed very dedicated and has many years of work plus knowledge handed down from his deceased father.
Now he is in his 60's. Plus I talked to him on a one to one basis about my BF.

Regarding sway bars, they sell a 1 3/4 inch dia for the rear end.
He also said He would work with you do- it- yourself guys.
They also sell a track bar for the rear end.
And of course shocks.
This was about it regarding stuff for the rear end, that I can remember.

You might think of driving up to Grants Pass, OR. Plus remember no sales tax.
I plan on taking my BF to him.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Dean Gradwell

Post by Dean Gradwell »

I have taken two BF's to Henderson in Grants Pass. Or. A 2004 RB and 2013 Triumph. They know about RV suspensions and are professional in every way. They start out with a test drive and explain exactly what you need.
Regards Dean
2013 Triumph
Roger

Post by Roger »

I installed a Hellwig 7805 1.5 inch dia sway bar on my 24RB. It felt MUCH more stable when
cornering. It didn't feel nearly as "tippy" as before.
1999 24RB
Ray

Post by Ray »

I think I will eventually do the heavier back sway bar - not sure if there is a difference between henderson and hellwig - wish I could get to OR to have them drive/check it out.

When I got this 26 ft I did shocks (blistien) front end align (set the castor up towards max) and installed a safe-t-plus stabilizer - Not sure what did what, but it seemed to really help

But I would like it better.

I guess I dont know what a track bar is - I will have to check that out.

Thanx for great info.
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

A rear track bar prevents any side to side movement of the axle .
2012 25' rb
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

Thanks to all for the replies re the rear sway bar. We have the Safe-T-Steer on the front and that has helped tremendously, but will give Henderson's a call or stop by there later this year as we do travel through Grants Pass several times a summer. :D
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

It sounds like you folks in Oregon have a great resource in Hendersons.

Steve & Sue,

We also have a 24RB. Wonderful coach. The soft rubber bushings on your factory anti-sway bars are probably worn out. Ours were. I decided to replace/upgrade the anti-sway bars which included new bushings. Below are the changes we made to improve drivability. The coach drives nice and handles well.

Change #1 – front and rear anti-sway bar upgrades. I went with Hellwig bars. This made a huge improvement reducing vehicle lean. It also made a big improvement in reducing the wind push from trucks. The urethane bushings eliminated the connection point slop and reduced the tippy side-to-side rocking of the coach. An added benefit of the new bars is the improved stability of the coach while it is parked. I can’t comment on the drivability of doing just the front or the rear—we did both at the same time.

Change #2 – new upper and lower Moog ball joints with grease fittings. The upper ball joints were fine. The lower ball joints were worn out and contributed to the wandering of the coach. The constant steering correction on calm days with no wind was fixed with new lower ball joints.

Change #3 – alignment with adjustable bushings: either Ingalls Engineering 59400, or Specialty Products Company 24180 (these are the same item and I’ve used both). I installed the bushings for maximum positive caster on both sides. Adding positive castor removes some of the steering wheel sensitivity—a desirable trait, especially when towing. I set the toe-in to 1/8 inch.

Change #4 – shocks. I like a comfortable ride with enough shock power to keep the tires in contact with the road. I bought 4 Monroe Gas-Magnum shocks and only installed the fronts—the factory rear shocks are still fine.

The photos show the OEM factory bushing and the adjustable bushing. You can inspect your coach to see which type of bushing is installed. With a flashlight and a mirror, look down behind the top of the front wheel. If you see the round OEM factory bushing, the drivability of your coach can be improved by replacing them with adjustable bushings set to maximum positive caster.
Attachments
OEM factory fixed bushing.jpg
OEM factory fixed bushing.jpg (182.75 KiB) Viewed 9809 times
adjustable bushing installed.jpg
adjustable bushing installed.jpg (207.72 KiB) Viewed 9809 times
adjustable bushing.jpg
adjustable bushing.jpg (88.43 KiB) Viewed 9809 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
Ray

Post by Ray »

Oh yes - A opinion from someone that has no experience is always better that someone that has been there, done that, and is giving their life learned experiences trying to help people. (ok - that was a little sarcastic - sorry)

I dont know?

Yep - sometimes I am wrong and do stupid stuff - But for me I would prefer to hear from people like me than from someone sitting at a keyboard bored, fantasizing, and making stuff up based on no experience.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”