Drag Rollers - replacement wheels

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bob Proctor

Drag Rollers - replacement wheels

Post by Bob Proctor »

One of the drag roller wheels on my 2002 24RB was completely worn out so I called Kim at Bornfree for a replacement. He was very helpful as always but was unable to send just the wheel, had to sell me a complete new caster and wheel assembly for $50 plus $25 for shipping. The new caster had the name "Albion" on it so I decided to contact them to see if I could get just a wheel for when the other one wears out. Albion referred me to a local distributor, Industrial Wheel and Caster in Lake Oswego, Oregon, who sold me a new wheel for $10. The wheel is 5" in diameter, 2" wide, is made of phenolic resin and has a delrin bearing.
2002 24RB
bcope01

Re: Drag Rollers - replacement wheels

Post by bcope01 »

Thanks Bob. By chance do you have an Albion part number?

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Bob Proctor

Post by Bob Proctor »

Sorry to take so long to reply. The part number from my local distributor, Industrial Caster and Wheel, is 524-PR-12 for an exact replacement for the one used by Bornfree, with a delrin (plastic) central bearing. The wheel they had in stock and that I got was slightly different in that it has a roller bearing inner hub; its part number was 521-PR-08. I'm guessing that the part numbers used by the distributor come from and are the same as those used by Albion but I don't know that for sure. Best of luck!
2002 24RB
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

I have found suitable replacements at our local farm store for about $10. Price varies by size and quality. -Mike
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I saw an assortment of sizes at Harbor Freight.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
cmeadows

Post by cmeadows »

Here are two more options:

TH Phenolic Wheel (TH0520108)
http://www.albioncasters.com/product/product_id/317

5" x 2" Phenolic Wheel with a Delrin Spanner (#88253)
http://apollocaster.com/store/5-x-2-phe ... 88253.html

We were in line at a ferry crossing when a nice young gentleman walked from the ferry to us and said, “Sir, I’m sorry, but we are at low tide and you will drag if you try to board the ferry.” I thanked him and said “we have castor wheels on the bumper.” He walked back to the bumper, took a look and said, “I’ve never seen those before—you’ll be fine.”

A few minutes later boarding the ferry, we slowly spanned the low area with the castors and drove to our parking spot. While on the short crossing of St. Ann’s Harbour on the Englishtown Ferry, the young gentleman came back to us, smiled and said, “Sir, if everyone had those casters, I’d be out of a job!”
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

When I was at the factory this spring I had them install some new casters that I had ordered. They looked a like the cast iron with poly casters that are on the catalog page with the phenolic wheel with delrin spinner. I got them because They looked capable of holding up a lot more weight and the bearings with grease fittings seemed like a good idea. I was advised by Red (he is the Production Manager at Born Free), after he looked at my new casters, that the casters that come standard on the coaches are intended to break up if too much load is put on them. He stated that some folks hit those high spots to fast and the excessive load could damage the frame. I'm being extra careful going up those steep ramps now so that I don't put too much of a load on the frame. The cast iron casters are sure not going to break up as fast as the resin casters supplied with the coach. Sometimes your best intentions can be wrong.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”