BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

lassen

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Post by lassen »

My coach came equipped with Interstate Grp 27's. First one died at 10 mo. and was 100% warrantied, now at 21 mo. the 2nd original is going south.

What are you having the best luck with as replacement batteries and what brands? Anyone switched to 2-6 volt golf carts?

Thanks....Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I've had very good service from the Interstate Megatron's. I think more important than the battery choice is switching out the Parallax converter/charger that comes stock with the Born Free Motorcoach with a converter/smart charger. More people than you know end up frying their coach batteries with the stock Parallax 7300 series converter because it doesn't step down the voltage like a smart charger does.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Post by whemme »

Jack,

Review the various posts on this earlier topic on this forum at this direct website address link: http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... te&start=0

Please note that you could replace your Interstate SRM-27 batteries easily with the larger SRM-29 batteries in the existing holder. Please note the probably the most damage to your coach batteries comes from being plugged in too long into shore line power causing your Magnetek/Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter to over-charge your batteries and boil them dry.

If you want to use a trickle charger to keep your coach batteries charged during long periods of storage but not over-charge them and boil the water out of your batteries, then I would recommend the Battery Minder. Check the product out at this factory website address: http://www.vdcelectronics.com/batteryminder_12112.htm

You can order it from the factory for $59.95 I believe or you can currently order it from Camping World at a cost I believe of $44.99. Refer to Camping World website address: http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... unum=31590

Or, like recommended above you should consider changing out your Magnetek/Parallax 7345 Charger/Converter to a new 3-stage smart Charger/Converter such as the Progressive Dynamics PD9160A or similar system. You can use it safely to keep your coach batteries fully charged by just plugging your coach into shore line power without the problem of boiling the batteries dry. I have a detailed procedure for doing this conversion, if you want to consider doing it, at this website address: http://home.earthlink.net/~whemme/
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
lassen

Post by lassen »

Hi Bill...Yes I am aware that the Grp 29 would fit, that would give me more capacity but maybe not any better service as it is still an Interstate.
What I was looking for was what batteries and brands other folks used and had good luck with.

I also know about the Parallax converter maintaining a 13.8 volt charge. I have changed that out with a PD9160 from Best Converters and am now about to change batteries.

Thanks for the inputs and anyone else that wants to share on this subject.

Jack
Bill Ruh

coach batteries

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi Jack,

Our 1991 has one coach battery under the hood. It had an interstate srm27 when we bought it, which lasted 3.5 years for us and undoubtedly more time for the previous owner. I replaced it with an exide st27dc180, which only lasted 2 years. In those 2 years, we used it for skiing which really taxes it, but I was still disappointed. I just replaced it with an everstart maxx29 marine from walmart. I've gotten good service from maxx starting batteries for cars, but have no data yet on the maxx marine.

If I had the battery tray, I'd get 6volt golf cart batteries and rewire it.
whemme

COACH BATTERIES

Post by whemme »

Jack,

I have had reasonably good luck with the life on my Interstate Deep Cycle Batteries - my first set of SRM-27's lasted about 4 years and I replaced them with a set of the larger capacity SRM-29's. If you want a different brand that seems to be somewhat bullet proof I guess I would recommend the batteries from the Trojan Battery Company.

Open up the 4 page .pdf file attachment below for the various batteries available from that company. Two different 6V golf cart batteries that are evidently known for very long life are the T-105 and T-125 batteries but their form factor would suggest that they would not fit the Born Free battery holder very well and of course would require rewiring to put those batteries in series rather than in parallel. Two of their 12V models that might fit better would be their 27TMX battery or their SCS225 battery.
Attachments
Trojan Battery Product Spec.pdf
(652.75 KiB) Downloaded 709 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
BornFree_n_Now

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Jack:

We converted to T-125 batteries and would not go back ~~ They fit fine in our 2002 RSB with slide-out compartment ~~
Attachments
Batt01.jpg
Batt01.jpg (81.14 KiB) Viewed 21458 times
Batt02.jpg
Batt02.jpg (75.75 KiB) Viewed 21458 times
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
robert

Post by robert »

Since it is almost impossible to check the battery water level on the inside battery in the tray, I purchased one of these at Camping World and it works just fine. Once a week or so, I just grab up by bottle of distilled water, put the hose in it and pump away. You can not overfill the battery.
They also have a set for 6 V batteries.

Qwik-Fillâ„¢ Dual 12-Volt Battery Watering System with Filler. You can find them here:

http://reserveamerica.campingworld.com/ ... unum=27037
Attachments
Battery Filler.jpg
Battery Filler.jpg (7.63 KiB) Viewed 21445 times
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

robert wrote:Since it is almost impossible to check the battery water level on the inside battery in the tray, I purchased one of these at Camping World and it works just fine.
I also use this setup and it works great.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Randy Wilson

Post by Randy Wilson »

Larry & Sharon: I am wondering if you can check the water level in the T-125's without removing them from the tray. Is there room to install the Quik-Fill watering system as described by Robert Davis?
robert

Post by robert »

The system replaces your regular battery covers. I would guess that it takes another inch or so above the battery to allow for the hoses to connect. I am not familiar with the battery you are referring to, but I would guess that if you have at least an inch or so clearance at the top that the system would work.
BornFree_n_Now

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Randy & Fayrene:

We don’t have to remove the T-125 batteries from the tray to check & add water. The inside battery is more difficult to deal with, but with an extension mirror and turkey baster, it is not insurmountable. We have thought about the Quik-Fill watering system approach, but have never gotten frustrated enough to see if it would fit. The dimension between the top of the batteries and door opening which you must clear to slide out the tray, is just about 2â€
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
lassen

Post by lassen »

Larry....I was thinking about the T-105's and by the specs. I see the T-125 is exactly the same dimensions. Trojan dealer here in SD has the 105 for $80.00 and the 125 for $100.00. And with the six volt Batt it's just three cells in back to water. I currently manage with a rubber squeeze bulb for watering.....Jack
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
BornFree_n_Now

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Jack: Between the 105’s and 125’s we opted to go with the 125’s for the extra capacity ~~ FYI, we paid $78.95 each for the 125’s last April.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Jon Pollei

6 volt Batterys

Post by Jon Pollei »

Larry & Sharon

When you switched to 6 volt batterys was there any problem with the factory parallax converter? Will it work ok with the 6 volt parallel wiring?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”