what is this toggle switch for?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

pattynjerry

what is this toggle switch for?

Post by pattynjerry »

we are first-time owners of a BornFree 20' Built for 2. there is an on/off toggle switch on the lower right side of the dash for which we can find no reference as to what it is or what it does. we can't seem to see that it affects anything we have tried.
does anybody out there have a clue? see fotos attached and thank you for any help!!
Attachments
switch 1.JPG
switch 1.JPG (118.34 KiB) Viewed 9707 times
switch 2.JPG
switch 2.JPG (95.09 KiB) Viewed 9707 times
Dude

Post by Dude »

Wow, 18 people have looked at this and nobody commented.

Fun Answers:
Turbo Button
Ejector Seat
Smoke Screen

Real Answers:

OK, just guesses.

I was thining it might turn on fog lights but seeing where it is located under the radio and next to the 12v plug my guess is it might work those items. I know my radio doesn't work unless the key is on the Acc position. It looks like an aftermarket radio so maybe the switch provides house battery power to the radio so you can listen to the radio at the campsite.

Being next to the 12v plug maybe the prior owner had a 12v accessory that they wanted to turn on and off with a switch rather than plugging/unplugging it.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Ray

Post by Ray »

Deleted
Last edited by Ray on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

I installed a switch to toggle from normal radio operation, with ignition switch, to power all the time from battery. Could this be what the former owner did?

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
pattynjerry

Post by pattynjerry »

thank you all - even the wise-guy remarks. we'll fiddle more with the radio - which seems to be possessed anyway.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Could it be to raise & lower the antenna? My car is equipped with one.
fourleos

Post by fourleos »

We have a 1991, 26' BF, the 350 engine. It has a toggle switch, but it is to the left of the steering column. This is our first RV and we got it almost 2 years ago, complete newbies. After killing a battery or two, we realized that our switch needs to be flipped when the BF is plugged into power. It needs to be flipped back when the engine is running. I cannot recall which is the on or off spot, I could go look if you like! If you run the engine, while plugged in and the switch is in the wrong position, something makes a loud tone. Maybe your switch does something similar? Enjoy! Reni
thestoloffs

Post by thestoloffs »

When Nate (the Fort Dodge radio dealer) installed our Alpine radio/GPS/Backup camera system for the factory, he installed an identical switch there to bypass the transmission interlock against changing radio/GPS settings while moving.

If you choose the settings screen, then depress the brake pedal while flicking the switch on & off TWICE, you get the FULL settings screen WITH 7 buttons, instead of the 1 or 2 buttons you get normally.
Marilynn & Gerry Stoloff
Coconut Creek, FL
Former owner of 26' Mobility
charlesbell

What is this toggle switch for?

Post by charlesbell »

Based on my previous Born Free motorhomes with aftermarket GPS, the switch allows use of the GPS while you drive. It overrides the safety feature requiring the transmission to be in "Park".
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
pattynjerry

Post by pattynjerry »

The two last posts prior to this reply may provide the clue. We'll check it out when we get home. Thanks to everyone for all the thoughts.
shezonit

Mystery switch

Post by shezonit »

I had to laugh when I saw this. When I bought my 1996 Bigfoot Class B on Ford chassis, there was a small red button switch on the dash. The guys at the consignment lot didn't know, the previous owner didn't know.
I never did figure it out, and it's gone on to new owner as "the mystery switch"....
bookie71

Post by bookie71 »

Since our Born Free is still buried in snow, I will take a guess. Could this be the switch that allows you to start your motor from the storage batteries when the engine battery is dead?

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”