Furnace troubleshooting

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

baxmd

Furnace troubleshooting

Post by baxmd »

I don't have a manual for the Suburban furnace in our 2005 24RB so not sure how to troubleshoot it. Just discovered that there's no heat when the furnace blower is on. Anyone have any ideas regarding this problem [u]and[/u] know how I can get a copy of the furnace manual? It's the only one missing from the pile of manuals provided by the previous owner.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
bigdipper

Re: Furnace troubleshooting

Post by bigdipper »

Tom,
This is something of a crude response, but I would replace the fan sail switch. Not too tough to do. If that doesn't work you have replaced something which is bound to fail sooner or later anyway. This is fairly straight forward. Disconnect gas and electric lines and pull furnace out from under refrig. Sail switch is a safety device to keep furnace from lighting if no fan, or fan volume insufficient. It is a sort of wire, 5-6 inches long with a vane on the end.
Good Luck,
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Ray

Post by Ray »

Tom - Ralph is correct I have had to replace a couple of the sail switches - once you get to the wires you can check to see if the switch is working - low 12v will also effect the motor blower speed. which in turn will not allow the sail switch to tell the furnace controls to start the sequence of events that is required to fire up the furnace. I am sure you checked the gas and valve - remember in cold weather a low tank might not have enough pressure. Here is the service manual - it has a pretty good section explaining the sequence of events which must occur for the furnace to fire.

Darn it - It says the file is to big to attach to this post - If you still need it send me a PM with your email and I will atatch to that

Ray
oliverpsmile

Post by oliverpsmile »

http://www.brwholesale.com/itemNotes/sc ... Manual.pdf

When replacing the sail switch (most likely the culprit as mentioned above), make sure to select the correct one (refer to the manual).

Good luck and do not forget to report here when you are done. :D
Oliver P Smile
2005 26ft RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I do stupid things sometimes. I once discovered that I had shut off the propane at the tank. That was why I go no heat.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

Thanks, guys. The manual and tips are greatly appreciated. I'll let you know what I find, though I'm sure I'll have more questions before all is said and done.

~Tom
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
baxmd

Post by baxmd »

Sorry for the delayed answer, but we just picked up the coach today. The circuit board was burned up. Looks like when we run the generator monthly, we should fire up the propane appliances. Expensive lesson!

~Tom
Tom and Paula
2005 24RB
Steve W

Post by Steve W »

For what it is worth, we had the same symptom with our heater. The fan functioned well, the heat; well not so much. Through trial and error, discovered the fault lay with the thermostat. Took the cover off, moved a wire that was making contact with another, tightened the screw and the heater has worked fine ever since. Periodically, I do take the coach in and have the heater serviced. I believe the manual says every year, but I find that as often as we use the coach, every three years seems to keep the gremlins at bay.
Steve & Sue Wolfe / Born Free 24RB / toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”