Clearance lights

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

tevz32

Clearance lights

Post by tevz32 »

This is in the "Dumb Moves" department. I needed to replace one of the top front clearance lights. Removed lens, took out screws, lifted lamp, cut wires - OOPS!. Wires fell back through hole in roof. How to re-capture wires? The inside fabric on the ceiling is 1991 vintage and I'm not sure i want to loosen that. Ideas? Please?
Dude

Re: Clearance lights

Post by Dude »

I have a 1989 and the whole front room/carpet was removed. I have access to my lights and wiring I assume it will be very similar to yours. Which light is it? I'll take a pic of it so you can see how the wires might be hanging. I would suggest needlenose pliers or a bent coat hanger or a combination of both. Oh, and patience. Lots and lots of patience.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
tevz32

Post by tevz32 »

Dude wrote:I have a 1989 and the whole front room/carpet was removed. I have access to my lights and wiring I assume it will be very similar to yours. Which light is it? I'll take a pic of it so you can see how the wires might be hanging. I would suggest needlenose pliers or a bent coat hanger or a combination of both. Oh, and patience. Lots and lots of patience.
Thanks very much for your reply. The light is the 2nd from the left (driver's side). A picture would be helpful.
Tom
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I dropped bolts into my black water holding tank (a long story and a dumb move) and I got a lot of good suggestions as to how to extract. One was duct tape wadded into a ball sticky side out.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
stevek

Post by stevek »

Try a.... Flex-Cable Pick-Up Tool 4-Finger Claw End Retriever Snake.
Last year, I replaced the rear license plate light housing, on my BF.
And dropped one of the wires inside the wall of the BF.
It took me a while, but with patience I was able to find the lost wire using that tool.

Of note... this wall was between the shower and the outside wall.
This wall had some insulation, but not that much.
So fishing out the wire was easier.
Just wish there had been signs of more insulation. :roll:
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

What Steve suggested above. Great to have in your tool set.

http://www.amazon.com/X-Long-Flex-Cable ... ck+up+tool

Bill
Attachments
flex cable pu tool.jpg
flex cable pu tool.jpg (17.74 KiB) Viewed 10158 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
stevek

Post by stevek »

Thanks Bill. Great pic.
Another I use for retrieval is super strong magnets.
You can get them in the shape of a washer, so they are easy to mount.

For example...http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=RC22CS-S

Super cheap. Shop ebay. Shipped from China. Look for free shipping.
Just have to wait a little for delivery.
The higher the "N" number, the stronger the magnet.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
tevz32

Post by tevz32 »

The flex cable pickup tool that Steve & Bill suggested was/is the right tool! My son also suggested it and happened to have one (how did my kids get so smart?) At this point I have successfully retrieved one of the two wires before my patience and knees wore thin. I secured the one and will go after the other tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions! I appreciate this site!! : :D
Dude

Post by Dude »

Here is a pic of a light from the inside. They all look the same. I could not get a pic of where those 2 black wires connect to the main wires. But at least you have an idea of what is on the inside.

[URL=http://s1357.photobucket.com/user/Campe ... f.jpg.html]Image[
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
tevz32

Post by tevz32 »

Thanks to Dude for the picture and the effort it must have taken. As it turns out I was able to retrieve both connecting wires for the lamp by using the flexible tool that more than one on this site suggested.
Thanks to everyone. A lesson learned I hope.
Roger

Post by Roger »

I used a hemostat to hold the wires when pulled out of the roof. Harbor Freight has them listed as "clamp pliers"!

I snapped off two of my clearance light while shoveling off snow last Winter. I ordered replacements and it looked
like a simple 10 minute job to replace one of them. WRONG!!! The replacement came with about 4 inch leads so I
figured that the original would come out with a couple of wire nuts connecting it to a harness. Surprise! The original
has long leads that disappear into the overhead of the unit and connect somewhere in there. I held the wires with the
hemostat and cut them next to the old socket. Fortunately, I had some small wire nuts to make the new connections.
One on the front was the same.
1999 24RB

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”