Camping Spot between Philadelphia and Princeton NJ

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

Camping Spot between Philadelphia and Princeton NJ

Post by Dallas Baillio »

In a couple of weeks I will be traveling up the East Coast on my way to Massachusetts. I have used the AllStays app and other sources to find an enroute stop north of Philadelphia and south of Princeton. All I can locate is a truck stop near Bensalem, PA that charges $15 for a one night stay.

Has anyone used this truck stop? Your evaluation?

Does anyone know of another alternative in this area? We will be traveling with our dog so state parks are out as NJ in their infinite wisdom do not allow pets in state park campgrounds.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Re: Camping Spot between Philadelphia and Princeton NJ

Post by shilohdad »

Dallas,

There is a campground that ALMOST meets your criteria. It is in NJ just south of the Philadelphia area. It is Timberlane Campground in Clarksboro, NJ. Here is a link to their web site:

http://timberlanecampground.com

It is between the NJ Turnpike and I-295, giving easy access to either. It actually is quite quiet. It is pet friendly. We have stayed there several times and have had good experiences. The overnight sites are close together but have good infrastructure. Most of the campground is occupied by seasonals and construction workers on long-term contracts in the area. I would highly recommend making a reservation as the overnight sites go fast.
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

There is a Flying J in the Pennsville NJ area just a few miles from the DE Memorial Bridge if you are coming that way. There are also a few campgrounds in Bucks County PA, not too far out of your way.

What route are you taking North??

John
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

We are leaving Alexandria, VA on Sunday 8/23 and driving to Timonium, MD, then to downtown Philadelphia. Some of you may remember that I visited every US President's grave in 2013. Now we are setting out to visit vice-presidential graves. Spiro Agnew is buried in Timonium. George M. Dallas is in Philadelphia and Aaron Burr is buried in Princeton. I have not planned an exact route but from looking at a map I'll probably be on I-95 when I leave Philadelphia.

I welcome suggestions on a better route if you know of one. After Princeton it is on to Patterson, NJ and Garrett Hobart. Yes, I know, you are asking yourself two questions. Who are these guys that were Vice President and why is this nut visiting their graves? I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow and I will ask him to explain it to me. If he knows I will pass it along.

Seriously, thanks for the suggestions on places to stay.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
Dude

Post by Dude »

Dallas....I highly recommend French Creek State Park in Elverson PA. I have camped there often. It is about 45-60 minutes outside of Philly. I don't think there are any campgrounds that are really close to Philly. I have stayed at the KOA in West Chester PA as well and similar distance away. Both are about 25 minutes from Valley Forge National Park where Washington and his troops spent the winter of 1777-78. Lots to do there. You can drive around and see the sites, take a paved walking trail, awesome visitors center, George Washington Chapel is there (Plays music on the bells on Sundays....I forget the times).

French Creek has 2 nice lakes, geocaching, hiking, biking, and a swimming pool. It is also next to Hopewell Furnace which is a National Park that has many historic buildings. Hopewell Furnace used to make charcoal and use it to make iron items.

The KOA is very nice and clean with a nice pool and a clubhouse. They have some sights on a steep hill that I think are undesirable. They have water and electric sites right on the Brandywine river that are very peaceful.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed
Dude

Post by Dude »

If you just want to overnight I can tell you the Wal Mart in Exton PA is a safe area and I have seen RV's there. The Wal Mart in Wayne PA is also a safe area and I have seen RV's there as well.

If you are in the area on Friday or Saturday night you can stay at Hibernia County park for $15 per night. No hookups at all and no bath house, pit toilet only. Very nice rustic park that is never crowded.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”