Roof Maintenance

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

brosky

Roof Maintenance

Post by brosky »

Roof maintenance
what is the recommended roof sealant to use on a BF fiberglass roof. Also should the fiberglass be tight to the plywood, the area that angles up to the fount seam is not tight to the plywood like the rest of the roof. WE have had 30+" of rain this year with no visible sign of leaks or stains.

Thanks Brosky
MarkB

Re: Roof Maintenance

Post by MarkB »

Mine is only 4 yrs old, but could tell the gel coat hadn't been maintained. People don't realize the gel coat is a somewhat porous material, if left alone or unsealed dirt and stains accumulate and can be tough to remove, mine was already oxidizing across portions of the top, the powdery substance you feel.

What I used on the top and body was Mclube Hullkote. It is kind of expensive but really good, I have used it on my catamarans, really slick stuff and lake water and mud won't stain the fiberglass. It is also citrus based unlike some which are petroleum based so won't harm stickers, also has uv inhibitors. Don't let the stuff freeze while in the bottle is also on the instructions. Kind of thick on consistency, use a spray bottle to wet the surface. One bottle can do two coats, then once a year after, or what i do on the cats. Be careful on the top if you use it, really slick.
2013 23' FL on Ford E350 with all the goodies.
stevek

Post by stevek »

My roof is "tight" and SOLID right up to the front seam, on the slope, and beginning of the OH Bed.
At this seam, is the front steel roll bar.
I would recommend you call Kim at BF if yours is not tight. Mine is a 2011. When you walk on the roof, it is very solid / tight from the back, up to the front seam.

I have struggled with maintaining the gelcoat and the roof.
I want to keep the shine.
Tried various waxes, but the not the Hullkote mentioned above. I might try that.
But have not had good luck with waxes. I have tried marine wax, fiberglass wax, various car waxes. Cheap to expensive cost wise.

What I have using is 303. Seems to work pretty good. It keeps the shine. Not like new, but shinny enough.
It also has a UV protectant. Easy to apply. I spray it on and whip off the residue.

Some one told me to use a "paint sealant" instead of wax. I have not tried that yet, but will.
They told me a paint sealant will withstand higher temperatures than wax.

I only have problems with the roof. On the sides, it is very easy to keep the shine and regular car waxes work well for me.
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
John S.

Post by John S. »

Don't know what my roof will be like as I ordered a painted coach but I did have my Foretravel roof painted and I thought eliminated streaks and I used tempcoat and it has some great insulating properties for summer heat.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
jlef123

Post by jlef123 »

The roof on my 2015 painted coach is left unpainted and is therefore white gelcoat.
Joel & Sandy
2002 26' RB
2015 27' Splendor
2020 Coachmen Beyond
John S.

Post by John S. »

I guess one trip will be to get my new roof painted if they ever build mine. Ordered it in Jan and the chassis is not there yet I was told.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”