New RSB Innerspring Mattress

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Robert D. Grant

New RSB Innerspring Mattress

Post by Robert D. Grant »

We are considering buying one of the new innerspring mattresses from Born Free to replace the pad. Would appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience with this innerspring mattress. BTW, BF wants $600 for the innerspring mattress (quite pricey IMO). Does anyone have experience with any other mattresses in the RSB?
Robert D. Grant

We just found what appears to be a good mattress on E-Bay. "Emperor Memory Foam Pillow Top RV Camper Mattress". The 49 inch wide by 74 inch long model sells for $344 with free shipping (or $240 with no pillowtop). It would hang out over the "tambour" at the right hand foot of bed but we could live with that.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

I replaced the mattress when at the factory 2-3 years ago. It is worth every dollar I paid & I am extremely happy with it. As a matter of fact, it's more comfortable than my mattress at home. Don't remember what it cost back then, but I'm sure glad I thought of it while I had other up-grades done. Also, it fits perfectly without having any corners sticking out. As I have the RSB model, that's important. 8)
BornFree_n_Now

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

We wrestled with this issue, including the cost of the BF innerspring, plus crating and shipping, and opted to have a local mattress shop build a new mattress for us, and place same inside of the existing cover. They used 4â€
Last edited by BornFree_n_Now on Fri May 09, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
David and Susan Bratt

foam mattress

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

A foam mattress that hangs over the corner can be easily cut to fit with an electric knife.
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
Robert D. Grant

Thanks Larry and Sharon. Glad you like your new foam mattress. As you indicated, the Born Free foam lacks support.

Thanks Charlotte for letting us know that you like the new Born Free innerspring mattress. Does it have a foam or pillow top?

We are currently getting an estimate on a customized Emperor mattress that would have the rounded corners necessary for the Born Free (we did not think about the top left or rear corner until we went out and looked more closely at ours and we do not want the overhang at the front right corner either0. What we like about the Emperor is that it has coil innersprings topped by pillow top memory foam and they have a 100% customer approval rating on E-Bay. Will let you know how we come out.

Bob and Della
Robert D. Grant

Unfortunately Paramount, the manufacturer of the Emperor mattress, is no longer accepting custom orders. I guess we will continue to plan on buying the new innerspring mattress from Born Free.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Just went out & checked my mattress....it is the coil innerspring pillow top variety. It does not have the 'cover' that my original (hard as a rock) mattress had. It just looks like an ordinary mattress. As I had the foam topper already (it's about 3" or so)...I placed that on top of the mattress plus a nice mattress cover (has sort of a 'pillow' top too) to protect the whole set up. Like mentioned above, you can cut those foam 'toppers' with an electric knife (very easily) to fit at the foot curve. I use the Travasak year round which eliminates the struggle of bed making & the whole bundle looks great (& feels great) all the time. :P Sure wish gas prices would ease up....would love to do some traveling (& get a good nights sleep :wink: zzzzzzz) However, now I'll have to tighten the budget & hold off for a while. Gas here in my part of Calif. is $4.00+ for regular! :shock:
Robert D. Grant

Charlotte,

Thanks so much for the info on the mattress. As a little more background, we converted from a rear single bed (which was specified by the original owner) to a rear double bed about 4 years ago and, at that time, we purchased the BF foam pad double bed pad for $400. That was a lot of money for a foam pad and of course we now regret not building one ourselves or having one custom built as Larry and Sharon did. We have found the BF foam pad to be uncomfortable as it sags and we roll to the middle. It is apparently too soft for us. So the new innerspring sounds appealing. However, at $600, we want to make sure it will work for us. I weigh around 180 lbs. Della's weight is classified (lol) but close to mine. Do you think we would have any problem with "innerspring sag"? How firm would you say the innerspring mattress is? We apparently need a very firm mattress.
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Golly Robert...don't think I can help you. I travel solo and am 5'2" & weigh around 130# so the rear bed is just perfect for me. I have no idea how long this mattress will last & your useage wouldn't compare to mine anyway. Perhaps someone else in our club can help you. As far as the firmness, in my case if I wanted that I'd just remove the foam rubber pad. Plus, I don't have any 'sagging' in the middle issues....course I'm referring to the mattress...which doesn't include my aging body :roll:
Robert D. Grant

Thanks anyway, Charlotte. Maybe some "heavy-weights" like us can chime in (or weigh in lol) if they have experience with the new innerspring mattress. By "firmness", we are talking about the support provided by the springs, not about the hardness or softness of the cover or pad. As you say, that can be modified rather easily, but the springs can't be changed. I will also try to get more technical information from Born Free before we decide. Thanks again and happy travels.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

My experience with BF is that when they sell a part or accessory directly to a BF owner, their prices may not be the absolute lowest you can find but they are competitive, especially when you compare quality. In my humble opinion ( :D ), if they are charging $600 for the mattress, then it is probably worth that, or more. That said, you may find a suitable one at less cost.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Robert D. Grant

Bill,

We basically agree with what you are saying. A custom made innerspring that would fit the rear side bed area with it's rounded corners would undoubtedly be prohibitively priced. So we are not even pursuing that. We don't mind paying $600 for a mattress that is comfortable for us to sleep on. We are just trying to make sure that it will be.

Strange that we haven't yet heard from any owners of 2006 and newer RSB models with the new mattress.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

We have a 2006 RSB and find the mattress very comfortable. I am 6' and about 230 and my wife is a little over 5' and weighs considerably less. We have both slept on the bed, but found it a little crowded. So I now retreat up to the "eagle's nest" in the overhead bed. Which works out good for me because when the dogs want to go out during the night or early in the morning they get her up, not me :lol: If one of us feels like taking an afternoon nap, either of us will use the bed.

To get back to your question though, the mattress is comfortable, and we do not have any of those toppers on it. It's firm enough that we don't feel we are sinking in it and no feeling of rolling.

It's a good deal :)

John
CHARLOTTE

Post by CHARLOTTE »

Robert...just wanted to clarify...I was at the 2006 Rally in Iowa & that's when I had the mattress put in...so I would assume it's a 2006 innerspring mattress that they were installing in that year BF's..... 8)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”