What Mileage Can I Expect?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

My 2 month old, 2010 model, 22RSK is showing on the Ford computer (standard equipment) 10.5 to 11 mpg at cruising speed of 60-62.
Charles in Titusville, Florida
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
whemme

Post by whemme »

Sorry, but I would not put too much faith in a vehicle's on board computer readout of fuel mileage. Every vehicle that I own that has that feature (a total of 3) always show an optimistic mpg readout. Generally 6 to 8% higher than the actual mileage that your really are getting if you were to measure it long term keeping accurate track of the actual gallons going into your tank and correcting your odometer readings to true miles with a good GPS.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
dsfriday

Post by dsfriday »

Why don't Born Free offer an RV based on the popular Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis, seems like this would be a no brainer for them, the result being good MPG plus the quality of their construction. They could even go one step further and incorporate some of the space saving, weight saving and 12 month use features, such as heated holding tanks found on the German Reisemobils.
J&J Texas

Post by J&J Texas »

dsfriday wrote:Why don't Born Free offer an RV based on the popular Mercedes Benz Sprinter chassis, seems like this would be a no brainer for them, the result being good MPG plus the quality of their construction. They could even go one step further and incorporate some of the space saving, weight saving and 12 month use features, such as heated holding tanks found on the German Reisemobils.
Now that's a great idea. I really appreciate all of the input. Also, I was going to do another message about the gas vs. diesel, but we sort of digressed into that anway. Probably many more opinions on that subject. I do realize that diesel does provide better fuel economy, but I am always concerned that, at least in some areas, there are not very many diesel stations. Do any of you find that to be an issue/concern. We like to travel mainly backroads and don't want to end up short because the blinker town we are in doesn't have diesel.
ewagman

Post by ewagman »

As a 25 year owner of a diesel powered boat, I'd like to comment that diesels usually use less fuel, but cost more to maintain, (oil, filters, etc) and very much more to repair than a gas engine. Just one fuel injector is a small fortune. Fuel polishing to get rid of the microorganisms is costly if you use a low volume of fuel. Competent diesel mechanics are much harder to find.

Since I use my Born Free for weekend recreation and an occasional longer trip, a gas engine is much more economical and convenient for me to use. And I often leave early Saturday for activities, and I know I would not want to subject my neighbors to the cold start up noise of a diesel either. I'd much rather pay Ford parts and labor prices than Mercedes prices.
I'll take my Born Free on a Ford gas chassis, please.
Ed & Beth
2003 Born Free 26' RSB: SOLD March 2016
replace by a house near the beach
Virgil and Anne Dutton

Post by Virgil and Anne Dutton »

I have had several diesel powered vehicles over the past 15 years or so including our current 2006 Born Free BFT. I think it is difficult to justify the economic advantage of the diesel over a gasoline powered engine in a small motor home. First of all is the initial premium of $5000 or $6000 over the cost of a gasoline engine and then the higher cost of maintenance. You are also carrying around 500 pounds more weight with the diesel engine. Also, diesel fuel is usually more expensive than gasoline. As far as finding diesel fuel, I have never found that to be a problem since most stations carry both gasoline and diesel. Aside from the reliability of a diesel, one of the things I like most is its ability to go about 35percent further on a tank of fuel. That means having to find and stop at a service station less often. Another thing that is important to me is the ability of the turbocharged diesel to maintain its power curve in higher elevations, since a good portion of my driving is the high country. You can hear compelling arguments both ways, gasoline versus diesel, however this is the way I see it.

Another point that has not been mentioned is that Ford has discontinued the diesel in its E-Series vehicles for awhile. I don’t know when they will resume offering it in those products but for now, beginning the first of this year, you cannot get a new diesel powered Ford van chassis.

Virgil
2006 22 ft BFT diesel
charlesbell

Post by charlesbell »

As far as a Sprinter based RV vs. a Born Free, I much prefer the Born Free as it's not as tall (under 10' vs. 11+). I also prefer the wider width of the Born Free coach. I've not seen a Sprinter floorplan that's comparable with my 2010 22'RSK and the difference in length of 22'10" vs. 24' or more is also significant for parking in business and commercial parking lots (and more importantly to me, fast food restaurants!)
That's my opinion. You know what they say about opinions :-)
Charles / Cape Canaveral, Florida 2013 23FL
Peter Robinson

Post by Peter Robinson »

J&J, lurk at the 2009 and newer Ford chassis and the newer cab redesign with the newer dash, a great update for those who can afford a newer BF model with that chassis. May not help the fuel mileage but it's great to see Ford get more modern.
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Getting back to the original question on this thread

Here are statistics on gas useage for my 2001 26 RSB:

From 1/12/2003 through 4/13/2010

Miles traveled: 59,125

Gallons Used: 6,590.9

MPG: 8.97

Subtract from the equation generator useage during the same period of 540.6 hours calculated at a usage rate of .5 gallons per hour and the revised figure is 9.35 MPG (59,125 divided by 6320.6).

For info we lived in the BF and used the generator for 215.3 hours from 8/29/05 - 9/10/05 following Hurricane Katrina. Around 50 gallons of gas purchased in 5 gallon containers was not recorded during this period.

We begin each travel day with a full water tank and empty holding tanks. Every gas purchase is a fill-up (184 total fill-ups averaging 35.8 gallons of gas). I would estimate that we carry about 75% of a full propane tank on average. When I've weighed the BF at public scales we have been within 98 percent of the max allowed weight.

We drive 60-70 mph on Interstate highways and near the maximum on secondary roads. Most times, when available, we take a secondary (Blue Highway) road instead of the Interstate. We maintain a steady pace and use the cruise control whenever possible. We rarely tow. Perhaps 10 percent of total miles travelled.

If any of you reading this post have similar information I would like to see it to make a comparison.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
shilohdad

Post by shilohdad »

Our experience has been very similar to Dallas's. We have a 24 Rear Bath and have never towed. We fill our fresh water tank and dump the waste tanks at the same time, then run off the fresh water tank. When the propane tank is about half down, we refill it, so we run at about 75% full. Each gas fill-up is a full fill-up, and has averaged 30.2 gallons per fill-up.

I used a different rate for generator usage. Someplace (I can't remember where, maybe the owner's manual, maybe on the Guardian web site) I got a rate of .32 gallons/hour at half load for our Guardian generator. I figure we generally run the generator at half load when either exercising it or actually using it.

We drive the interstates at 55 to 65 mph, but try to take secondary roads, also. I rarely use cruise control, but tend to keep a good steady pace most of the time.

Now for the numbers:

Miles traveled: 32,581.9 (using the Ford odometer)
Gallons used: 3442.6
Generator hours: 126.9
Generator gallons used: 40.6
Coach gallons used: 3402.0
MPG: 9.577
Typical coach weight: 12,900 pounds (9400 rear, 3500 front), full water and fuel
Joe and Lucinda
Tonto, Meadow and Shadow, the papillons
Shiloh and Morpho at Rainbow Bridge
2017 Spirit
Formerly 2006 24RB
John S.

Post by John S. »

I had a bornfree built for two and now have the 24 foot Rear bath. I had an 06 BFT and an 07 24 foot rear bath. I got about 9 MPG in both units. I do run the genset a bit too. Without the genny it was about 9.5 mpg. I did a calculation and for the up charge for the diesel you will be able to replace your entire engine and transmission. Also diesel is about 20 cents more a gallon. I have a diesel pickup and a diesel Foretravel that weighs about 40K pounds and I get about 8mpg in that unit. I decided to go with the gas genset and the V10 and see how long it lasts. I also find that the weight without the Diesel is a bit lower and it allows me to take a local bridge as well. It is a toss up. One thing to consider is that the propane is as expensive or more expensive than gas too if you going to run the generator too.

I do not think that milage is the big issue but durability. ALso I run my BF in the winter and the gas is quicker to heat up.

I do not think you can go wrong each way but if you are looking at older units then you will have the issue of additives. The new ULSD is causing lift pump issues with many of the larger units that have them.
2015 Royal Splendor on Ford 550 none slide version
Former owner 2007 24foot rear bath painted and 2006 22 foot built for two
Former owner 1994 34 foot 2000 36 foot and 2001 42 foot FORETRAVEL's.
Bill Dodgen

Post by Bill Dodgen »

charlesbell wrote:As far as a Sprinter based RV vs. a Born Free, I much prefer the Born Free as it's not as tall (under 10' vs. 11+). I also prefer the wider width of the Born Free coach. I've not seen a Sprinter floorplan that's comparable with my 2010 22'RSK and the difference in length of 22'10" vs. 24' or more is also significant for parking in business and commercial parking lots (and more importantly to me, fast food restaurants!)
That's my opinion. You know what they say about opinions :-)
I'd like to second the opinion expressed here by Charles. I had a chance to test drive a Sprinter based RV with the Mercedes diesel. This particular unit did not have any slideouts as does the Winnebago Sprinter-based unit, and the narrow interior space made it feel confining when compared to my 22 foot Born Free. What was by far worse, however, was the tipsy-topsy, boat-like ride even on a smooth four lane highway. That narrow wheelbase on the Sprinter chassis with a tall coach makes for an at-sea-like ride, IMHO.

Bill
Dennis Park

Gas mileage 2009 BF 22'Cabover Read Door Chevy

Post by Dennis Park »

I am probably one of the few that has the Born Free on the Chevy chassis, it is the 6.0 litre V8 323 hp

Over 1,650 miles mostly highway and mostly 65-70 mph's average 10.8

Most recent trip this week, 818 miles from WV to Fl, again mostly highway and 65-70 mph's average 11.2

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”