slimeline console

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

We have a 2004 26' RSB but the truck is a 2003. We took the old console off but cannot figure out how to get the large bottom piece off. It looks like you take off the large bottom piece, then the top and then install the new console on the top. What you end up with is room at the bottom where the old bottom was. Is this correct? It would look lide the picture posted in this thread. What we ordered is the 2006 piece from Ebay which looks to be the right thing. Dave Potter sent us his pictures so hopefully Chuck can figure it out from here. I am stumped.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Judy: All you should have to do is lift the old console straight up. You can do this by placing your hand in the side covey hole of the old console and lift straight up. The console should pop off. Then line up the slimline console from above onto the 3 guide posts on the engine cover and snap the console downward.

If all else fails, drive to a Ford dealer and ask for help. They should do it for free. The whole operation takes only about 3 seconds.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

Thanks to all, especially Dave, it is done! We finally had to saw the old console off - it just wouldn't budge.
Judy Harris

Post by Judy Harris »

We are so proud of ourselves that we are going to move the range hood between NCAA basketball games! Thanks for all of the input on that project in the previous thread.
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

bcope01 wrote:Judy: All you should have to do is lift the old console straight up. You can do this by placing your hand in the side covey hole of the old console and lift straight up. The console should pop off. Then line up the slimline console from above onto the 3 guide posts on the engine cover and snap the console downward.

If all else fails, drive to a Ford dealer and ask for help. They should do it for free. The whole operation takes only about 3 seconds.

Bill
I'm sorry to contradict you Bill, but while the old console will pop off in some cases, that is not always true. There is an internal latch that holds the OEM console tight on the two posts and is accessible by removing the bottom bin and reaching through to unlock it. Some consoles may not have it and some that have it may have it installed poorly and thus it may not be latched properly allowing the console to pop off upward. If it is latched and holding however and you pop the console up vertically, it will break the latch out of the engine cover. This is what happened to me when I tried to pop it off as you suggested without unlocking the latch. That is why I did the write-up I posted on the old BB and which Judy/Chuck followed. The latch cannot be easily reinstalled and the hole in the engine cover needs to be covered with a dollop of silicone caulk to avoid letting fumes into the coach. The Winnebago console has a metal spring plate which holds the console tight to the two posts and that makes the loss of the latch irrelevant to that installation. Chuck indicated to me in a follow-up email that his Ford console did not have that metal spring plate and thus would be dependent upon the latch to hold it tightly in position. This necessitates being careful to unlock it when removing the old console and in Chucks case, he sawed up the old console as he could not get the latch to unlock but did not want to pull it out of the engine cover as it was needed for the reinstall.
stevek

Re: slimeline console

Post by stevek »

Someone might contact this company?
http://www.nor-calvans.com/blog/ncv-van ... er-console
Steve
2011 Born Free 22 foot RSK, rear side (corner) kitchen, E350, 29k miles.
Our first motorhome. Lots to learn. Thanks.
CA/OR border
Ray

Re: slimeline console

Post by Ray »

My problem wasn't so much leg room as it was foot room - so I bought the slim line that didnt go all the way to the floor off eBay - new take off for $50 - it was a newer model year one and said it wouldn't fit a 2001 - I looked at the pics real good and it fit perfect, and works great - no latches - no holes - slide one off, slide one on

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”