Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Forum Index Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club
This forum is for Born Free Owners and those interested in owning a Born Free.

Born Free RV Club Homepage  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Propane Tank Outlet for Outside Stove & Grill in BF 24'

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Forum Index -> Coach Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bfadmin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Propane Tank Outlet for Outside Stove & Grill in BF 24' Reply with quote

Propane Tank Outlet for Stove & Gril

Propane Outlet for Stove & Grill – I prefer to cook outside. For years we’ve carried various grills, stoves and fuels including charcoal & chimney, white gas, Coleman fuel, hickory firewood and propane. Of these, propane was always fast and easy but also the most likely to run out at the least convenient time. I figured with a 20 gallon tank of propane on board, I could avoid carrying additional fuels. I bought a propane stove and grill and now fuel them from the coach.

Cornbread on a propane stove

Sadly, this grill is not charcoal but it does very well with wood chips. It is not fired-up in this photo (when it’s on, it’s smoking Smile

The key to using this stove and grill from the coach supply of propane has everything to do with propane pressure. The low pressure supplied to the coach will not supply enough gas pressure for these units to work. Our ’99 24RB has a two-stage Marshall regulator. The pressure after the first stage is 15psi (pounds, not inches) which will work with this grill and stove. On the side nearest the tank of the first stage regulator there is a 1/8” pipe plug. This is a test port for the regulator. It can also flow LP gas at 15psi to operate a grill or stove.

I turned off the gas and removed the Marshall regulator. I removed the 1/8 plug on the first stage of the regulator assembly and plumbed in a quick connect LP gas fitting as shown in the above photo.

The hood required clearance for the additional plumbing

I leak tested all fittings with foamy hand soap

I removed the 1 pound propane canister connections from the stove and grill and replaced them with brass quick connections. The grill was easy as it is shown in the above photo.

To convert the stove, I disassembled the stove to get to the internal plumbing and made my connections there. The result is a stove body with a male quick connection protruding out of the end of the stove to which I attach the propane line from the coach. It works fine, but there is an easier way.

Cut pipe and use JB Weld epoxy to attach the brass quick connection.

The stove comes stock with a detachable connector pipe with a fixed regulator end that connects to a 1 pound propane canister. If I were to do this connection over again, I would cut the regulator end off of the pipe and use JB Weld epoxy to attach the brass quick connection to this pipe. (While the pipe is brass in color, it is made of steel. If you choose to braze this connection, keep the stove end of the pipe cool with a wet rag. There's an internal pressure valve with plastic parts in the coupling that connects to the stove.)

The black hose is my interconnect hose. It came stock with the female gas quick connection that I removed to hard-plumb to the first stage of the marshal regulator (it has a blue valve lever and is shown in the photo below). The black interconnect hose has a standard brass male quick connection installed in place of the female gas quick connection that was removed. The orange hose is a 50' long 1/4" hose with ball valves and brass quick connections. The orange hose is the same on each end, small in diameter, lays flat and stores easily.

Interconnect hose connected to tank

To use the grill or stove, I connect the short black interconnect hose to the tank. To this I attach the 50' orange hose that also connects to the grill or stove. I could run both at the same time with a Y adapter. It's LP gas, so all fittings are brass.

I limit and control the flame on the grill with the ball valves. The gas stove has built-in valves for each burner.

This is how the propane door looks when the grill or stove is in use. I leave a couple coils of hose near each end for slack.
The common gas plumbing parts came from Home Depot. The orange hose, brass quick connectors and ball valves came from Harbor Freight Tools. The gas interconnect hose came from Amazon.

Camp Chef Everest High Output 2 Burner Stove
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S3HDBO/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3C_SC_dp_1

Weber 1520 Propane Gas Go-Anywhere Grill
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-1520-Propane-Go-Anywhere-Grill/dp/B00004RALK/ref=sr_1_cc_3

Camco 57280 39" RV Quick-Connect to Quick-Connect LP Gas Hose
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-57280-Quick-Connect-Gas-Hose/dp/B0024E62OI/ref=sr_1_1
The Amazon photo doesn’t show the ball valve with the blue handle

Submitted by:
Chuck Meadows
’99 24RB PSD
Email: charles.m.meadows@gmail.com

NOTE: If you have any questions, please contact the author directly by clicking on the email address provided above rather than clicking on the blue button at the bottom of this post. All info above was posted for the author by the Website Administrator (bfadmin-2) and clicking on the blue email button below will address your email message to the bfadmin-2 rather than to the author.

(bfadmin-1) Mel Wilbur - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org

Last edited by bfadmin on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Forum Index -> Coach Modifications All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: