Question on the air bags

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Cathy

Question on the air bags

Post by Cathy »

I noticed 1 of the air bags isn't holding air. Is it safe to drive the motorhome without air in the bags? I'm sure it would ride better, but for the price it would cost to replace them, I think a few bumps are ok... :shock:
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
bigdipper

Post by bigdipper »

Cathy,
It may be worth it to determine whether leak is in an air bag, or a valve, or air line. If one bag is truly a lost cause, I would not drive it without the other almost deflated. The problem with no air bags is not just a bumpy ride but that rear of vehicle may be too low. "Bumps" from axle hitting the jounce bumpers on frame regularly is not a good thing, beyond any discomfort. Hopefully others may share views on this.
Ralph
Ralph
2011 24RB
Former 2001 23RK
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Thanks, I better start looking for someone to fix it.
Cathy
Our Puggle Pudge
Brussels Griffon Sally
Cairn Terrier Ellie
Max our Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
2005 Gulfstream BT Cruiser (former BF owner)
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Cathy, my guess is that the system on your coach is from the Air Lift Company. I would suggest you call Kim Olson at Born Free to verify and check if they have replacements in stock and if not does he have the model number of the system installed on your coach. I have called Air Lift in the past and they are excellent when it comes to helping solve a problem. Born Free - 800-247-1835 Air Lift - 800-248-0892
Mel & Connie
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Air Lift does not recommend driving with unpressurised air bags. Less than 10 PSI will damage the bags. :(
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
Rob

Post by Rob »

I did away with the air bags by having the rear springs re-arched. The process was simple. Took the coach to a company that does this kind of work on heavy duty trucks etc.
They removed the rear springs re arched them and added an additional leaf to each set. The work was completed in one day. This raised the rear about 1.5 inches. Coach rides so much better. Removed the air bags (no longer needed). Entire process cost $800.00. Best modification I have made.

Rob and Joan Beery
2003 24RB
cmeadows

Re: Question on the air bags

Post by cmeadows »

We have an older coach (1999 24RB) that had a leaky air suspension. With a soapy water test, I found 3 leaks in the left side air bag from where it rubbed on the top bracket. I installed a new set made by Air Lift—kit #57131 from SDTruckSprings.com. Air Lift has a $50 mail-in-rebate on this kit until October 31, 2015. This is the kit description from SD Truck Springs: 1996-2011 Ford E-450 Super Duty Class "C" (Mounts Under Frame) - "Load Lifter 5000" Air Helper Springs [REAR] (57131) $270.83.

The design has been improved from the original set. The new kit has a double bellows bag and retaining plates to support the top and bottom of the bag. The top mounting bracket has been redesigned to fit closer to the frame and the air pressure lines have improved fittings.

This is not a fun installation job. I raised the 4 rear tires on 5" stacks of lynx levelers. I did the work without removing the rear wheels. The new bellows assembly goes in easier if you collapse it on the workbench and use a piece of electrical tape to seal the air hole to keep it from expanding. When the original air lines were installed at the Born Free factory, they had to keep them tight to the frame to keep them out of the way of the coach assembly. Routing the new air lines is much easier if you don’t follow the path of the original lines. There is plenty of space and ample tie points to protect the new lines without following the original path of the lines.

On a road test with the bags set at 50psi, the silverware rattled on every crack in the road. I let the bags down to 23psi and have the ride back to normal (quiet). I'm happy with the ride on the new bags. (The original rear shocks are still working fine but we have replaced the front & rear anti-sway bars with those from Hellwig.)
Attachments
old bag--3 leaks in top left corner of bag from bracket rub.jpg
old bag--3 leaks in top left corner of bag from bracket rub.jpg (394.76 KiB) Viewed 11782 times
new bag--without air line installed-.jpg
new bag--without air line installed-.jpg (364.33 KiB) Viewed 11782 times
Chuck & Laura Meadows
'99 24RB PSD
ebaron

Post by ebaron »

I too had an extra leaf added by a truck spring shop on our '08 27RSB. Did this mainly to maintain level while towing. It was an excellent upgrade,! Coach rides much smoother and did raise the rear by about 1.5 as well. Does not look raised, but level. Was hitting the rear frame wheels at times so this helped minimize that. Asked them to check the airbags, as I was getting very lift out of them. Turns out the lower brackets were loose. They corrected that, so I continue to use the airbags based on load with the the re- arched springs (added leaf). Coach tows excellent (boat ~ 5k lbs) with the upgrade as well, though I also use a Blue Ox equalizing hitch, which I highly recommend.
I 've had pickup truck springs re-arched years ago, but never expected such a large ride improvement in the coach. Being new to this, I was accepting the bang when hitting a bump or hole in the road, but that is now gone.
Ed
2008 27RSB
Dallas Baillio

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I have a slow leak on my driver side (left) airbag and at this time I am having it evaluated. Perhaps having an added leaf is an alternative. Other opinions?
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
randallrae

Post by randallrae »

Newer coaches use Super Springs instead of air bags Kim could help you with that info.
2012 25' rb
Dude

Post by Dude »

I have a slow leak in my air bags. I travel with an air compressor. I air up before I start my trip to the campground on Friday and I air up on Sunday for the trip home.
Matt
1989 26 foot Rear Side Bed

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”