CONVERTING TO THE WINEGARD 'BATWING' SENSOR III TV ANTENNA

This forum is for Born Free owners to detail modifications that they have made to their coach that might be of interest to other owners. Since this is a locked forum, submissions must be made to and approved by the forum administrator (email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org).
whemme

CONVERTING TO THE WINEGARD 'BATWING' SENSOR III TV ANTENNA

Post by whemme »

For those Born Free owners that currently have the Delta TV antenna installed, much improved over the air TV reception can be had by replacing that antenna with the Winegard 'Batwing' Sensor III TV antenna with the built-in signal pre-amplifier.

As far as I know on most Born Free models, the Batwing can be mounted in the same hole on the roof at the current Delta antenna, but the hole diameter will have to be enlarged by approximately 1/4".

Winegard currently offers this antenna kit in three different models:
a) RV-3095 - this is the full Sensor III system with the Batwing antenna with built-in pre-amp, TV wallplate, RF cables, etc for an installation on an RV that currently does not have a roof mounted TV antenna
b) RV-5095 - this is the full Sensor III system with the pre-amp built into the TV wallplate rather than the Batwing antenna itself. The RV-3095 is to be recommended of this RV-5095 model.
c) RV-7095 - this is a conversion kit Sensor III system with Batwing antenna with built-in pre-amp and replacement TV wallplate without the pre-amp. This system does not include RF cables since those cables from your existing Delta antenna installion can be reused.

Go to this Winegard factory website link for additional information on the above systems: http://www.winegard.com/mobile/sensar.htm

Before my conversion to the Winegard antenna, the TV wallplate had a slide switch with a red indicator light that both turned the antenna pre-amp on and off and at the same time switched between the Delta antenna and the cable TV input jack on the left side of the coach. After the conversion, the replacement TV wallplate had a pushbutton switch with a green indicator. This switch of course changes the source of the signal to the TV from the antenna to the cable TV input jack generall located on the left side of your coach. When the indicator light is on - your TV (and VCR) is then connected to the roof mounted antenna.

In June 2006, I have the Born Free factory replace my Delta antenna with the Winegard Batwing TV antenna system, model RV-7095. The improved reception of over the air TV signals was dramatic!

As noted above, the TV wallplate was also changed to a different Winegard plate that had a pushbutton switch with a green indicator instead of the slideswitch with the red indicator on the old wallplate. The reason that the TV wallplate needs to be changed is because for the previous Delta, the pre-amp for it was physically inside that wallplate whereas for the new Batwing, the pre-amp for it is actually located in the Batwing antenna itself.

For those reading this who might want to consider this conversion, below are additional details:

Here is the list of Winegard parts and costs listed on my Born Free factory invoice:

BORN FREE P/N     WINEGARD P/N    DESCRIPTION & COST
1) 205-02082           RV-7185          Amplified Sensar TV Antenna  $92.75
2) 205-02082-01      CP-3634          RV Interior Control - White  $4.10
3) 205-02081           RV-7042           Wall Plate Power Supply - White  $25.78

The total cost to me including parts, labor and tax for the conversion was $206.11.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “Coach Modifications”