Coach Batteries

Use this unlocked forum to ask questions of the author, answer questions or make comments about any of the above Coach Modification and/or Technical Library topics. Any posts made here that are not relative to those two topics may be deleted by the bfadmin.

Moderator: bfadmin

DASUE

Coach Batteries

Post by DASUE »

Our, new to us, 2003 Born Free 26 RB motorcoach is in need of new coach batteries. The present batteries are 8 !/4" in height and fit in the roll out battery tray very well.

New 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries seem to be more in the 11 1/2" height range which I do not think will work in the existing batt. tray. At least, this is what I have found so far.

I would appreciate knowing what others have done about this. I know that I could remove the battery tray and gain the height needed, but I really hate to give up the slide out capability.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Thank you !

David
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

You could just stay with the 12V Group 31 batteries and then you wouldn't need buy or make new cables to rewire the batteries for the 6V series connections.

Here is a link to Trojan Batteries website where you can select "Product Specifications" and get a PDF file of all the battery dimensions.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/Tech-Suppo ... brary.aspx

Heavy duty Deep Cycle 6V batteries don't last longer than 12V Heavy duty Deep Cycle batteries. The 12V batteries do need to be true deep cycle batteries and not Marine batteries.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

David, I am not familiar with the battery compartment of your coach, but I would guess that either the Trojan T-105 Plus T-125 Plus 6V Deep Cycle Battery should fit your battery tray at 10 11/16 inches high. I have a set of 2 T-105s in my coach battery tray and am very happy with them.

I did add the new EZ Glide tray, which I obtained from Kim at the factory, that allows the batteries to be pulled out all the way for easy filling. However, the the height clearance between both trays was identical.

Bill
Attachments
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 1.jpg (153.15 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
Trojan T-105 Plus 3.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 3.jpg (138.04 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
Trojan T-105 Plus 4.jpg
Trojan T-105 Plus 4.jpg (184.81 KiB) Viewed 16153 times
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
mockturtle

Post by mockturtle »

I replaced mine with AGMs in 2009. Love 'em!
al1florida

Post by al1florida »

bcope01 wrote:David, I am not familiar with the battery compartment of your coach, but I would guess that either the Trojan T-105 Plus T-125 Plus 6V Deep Cycle Battery should fit your battery tray at 10 11/16 inches high. I have a set of 2 T-105s in my coach battery tray and am very happy with them.

I did add the new EZ Glide tray, which I obtained from Kim at the factory, that allows the batteries to be pulled out all the way for easy filling. However, the the height clearance between both trays was identical.

Bill
Bill,
Do you remember the approximate cost of the EZ Glide tray?
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

al1florida wrote: Bill,
Do you remember the approximate cost of the EZ Glide tray?
Sent you a PM Al.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “Coach Modification & Technical Library Questions & Comments”