Newbie - advice on a 1999 Born Free 23’ standard nose cone

Use this unlocked forum to ask questions of the author, answer questions or make comments about any of the above Coach Modification and/or Technical Library topics. Any posts made here that are not relative to those two topics may be deleted by the bfadmin.

Moderator: bfadmin

wanderso

Newbie - advice on a 1999 Born Free 23’ standard nose cone

Post by wanderso »

Hello - I posted a few years ago when going from a chinook to something a bit bigger. At the time, we purchased an ‘08 Winnebago View. It was a good coach. We sold it while one of our kids go to college and are now looking at something used, under 24 actual feet in length. It just needs a fold down couch and either another couch or a dinette. We’ve found a ‘99 Born Free (one owner, until 2 years ago) with 59k miles on the E450 (V10) chassis, rear kitchen, no cabover. Asking price is $20k from a private party. Born Free does retain their value, but I wonder if this is still considered a fair price? I was targeting around $17k.

Does $20k seem reasonable? I will be viewing it on Thursday. All systems work and it has new tires. Supposedly it was stored indoors most of its life but I see some flaking of the horizontal vinyl decals and the tell-tale clouding of the headlight lenses. No known leaks. The current owner has not done the V10 spark plug swap that is recommended on these engines. He has 40 trucks with V10s in his fleet and only has encountered the plug blow out issue on the 550 chassis for those model years where whey were severely overloaded. (Happened once). I had them replace in my ‘05 Chinook by the dealer just in case.

I see the brochure for the 2000 model year. Any differences between ‘99 and ‘00 that I would care about? Any known water intrusion areas on non-cabover models or other issues I should look for that are unique to Born Free, even with the standard nose cone?

Return to “Coach Modification & Technical Library Questions & Comments”