Generator Size

Use this unlocked forum to ask questions of the author, answer questions or make comments about any of the above Coach Modification and/or Technical Library topics. Any posts made here that are not relative to those two topics may be deleted by the bfadmin.

Moderator: bfadmin

dtshep

Generator Size

Post by dtshep »

Hello ALL, I have a 24RB 1993. My generator went out. It was an Onan 4k LP. I have a chance to get a 3600 LP Onan but was wondering if it would be enough for my AC. The AC unit is 13,500 BTU. Manuel says yes. Any input wopuld be appreciated. David
wanderso

Re: Generator Size

Post by wanderso »

I'm new to this discussion board, but have been doing the "RV thing" for about 15 years. I expect there are several seasoned pros here with far more experience than me that will give some good responses. Here's mine:

An Onan 3600 is supposed to support up to 30 amps per their website. In a cursory search, a 13,500 BTU RV air conditioner typically draws around 14.5 - 15 amps in cooling mode. It likely bumps to 16 amps or so to start the compressor. If you have a microwave, depending on wattage, you may not be able to run both at the same time, but I expect you will also be able to do so. For reference, I owned a 2008 Winnebago View. They had a 4000 Watt Onan on the Gas model (mine) and 3600 Watt propane generator on the diesel models. Both had the same 13,500 BTU air conditioner. In my case, I regularly used the microwave and AC simultaneously without issue.

RV generators can be very expensive ($3-4,000) If I was in your situation and the current generator can't be fixed but you have access to a good alternative like what you describe for free or much less cost, I would use it. I expect you may need to have some brackets fabricated to mount it due to size differences.

Return to “Coach Modification & Technical Library Questions & Comments”