300 Watts, 120 VAC Sine Wave Power for All Receptacles

This forum is for Born Free owners to provide information of a technical nature about their coach that might be of interest to other owners. This includes posting copies of Born Free coach owner's manuals. Since this is a locked forum, submissions must be made to and approved by the forum administrator (email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org).
bfadmin
Site Admin

300 Watts, 120 VAC Sine Wave Power for All Receptacles

Post by bfadmin »

Since the demand for 120 VAC on the road or during dry camping was growing fast (all those new gadgets, you know) I decided to build and install the system detailed below.

The 300 watt pure sine wave inverter used in this system in my opinion is sufficient to power the home theater center, a few laptop computers and the telephone chargers. It will not power high power items such as a coffee maker, a toaster or a hair drier.

The Samlex inverter has a 30 amp fuse built in. Therefore, there was no need to create a dedicated and fused circuit on the upper part of the Magnetek/Parallax power panel. Simply connect the DC wires to the main bus of the panel. For eventual future expansion of the system, 10 gauge wiring instead of 12 gauge could be used.

Parts List

A) Inverter - Samlex PST-30S-12A - This is a 300 watt 12 VDC to 120 VAC pure sine wave inverter. It is available from the following DonRowe.com source at a current cost of $159: http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/puresine_300.html

B) RD relay is an automotive relay Omron P/N G8JN-1C7T-DC12 - Cost $4.63

C) RA relay is general purpose relay NTE P/N R55-11A20-120F - Cost $16.13

Both relays can be purchased from Allied Electronics at their website address: http://www.alliedelec.com/

D) LED illuminating toggle switch is a Radio Shack P/N 275-027 (Manufacturer's P/N R13-404) available for $4.99 in store or at the following online link: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=3125354

All DC and AC wiring is 12 gauge stranded (my long term ship experience shows that solid wiring is susceptible to vibration and breaks).  The wiring to the illuminating switch is 4 conductors telephone cable. In order to install the wiring I removed the converter and fished the wiring through the existing holes. Then I reinstalled the converter.

All components are installed on a 3/8" red oak board (matching the wood of my RV)

Submitted by:

Oliver P Smile
oliverp@fasmail.fm

NOTE: If you have any questions, please contact the author directly by clicking on the email address provided above rather than clicking on the blue email button at the bottom of this post. The info above was posted for the author by the Website Administrator (bfadmin) and clicking on the blue email button below will address your email message to the bfadmin rather than to the author.
Attachments
Samlex Inverter with Relays Uncovered.jpg
Samlex Inverter with Relays Uncovered.jpg (121.19 KiB) Viewed 9923 times
Samlex Inverter Installation.jpg
Samlex Inverter Installation.jpg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 9952 times
Samlex PST-30S-12A Inverter.jpg
Samlex PST-30S-12A Inverter.jpg (147.57 KiB) Viewed 9952 times
Illuminated Toogle Control Switch.jpg
Illuminated Toogle Control Switch.jpg (103.77 KiB) Viewed 9954 times
System Schematic.jpg
System Schematic.jpg (102.59 KiB) Viewed 9963 times
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators