How to calculate the level requirements for your refrigerato

This forum is for Born Free owners to provide information of a technical nature about their coach that might be of interest to other owners. This includes posting copies of Born Free coach owner's manuals. Since this is a locked forum, submissions must be made to and approved by the forum administrator (email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org).
bfadmin
Site Admin

How to calculate the level requirements for your refrigerato

Post by bfadmin »

How to calculate the level requirements for your refrigerator

When talking about how level the RV has to be for your refrigerator to safely work, too often the answers are general ones about being close to level. Here's a way to determine exactly, for your RV and refrigerator.

1) Look up the manufacturer's specs for your refrigerator how much tilt is acceptable.

I own a 1999 26RSB with a Norcold model 962. The info in my owner's binder states that the refrigerator should not be operated tilted more than 3 degrees side to side, and not more than 6 degrees front to back.

My refrigerator is mounted on the side of the RV so the side to side spec of the refrigerator equals the front to back tilt spec for the RV and then the front to back spec for the refrigerator would equal the side to side tilt spec for the RV.

(If your refrigerator was mounted facing forward or back, you would ignore the preceding statement as the tilts for the refrigerator and the RV would be in the same direction.)

2) Measure the wheel distances on your RV:

a) Measure the distance in inches from the center line of your front wheel to the center line of your corresponding back wheel. This will be used to calculate the front to back tilt.

b) Measure the distance in inches across the RV, the width between the center points of the tires. I use the distance between the midpoints of each set of dual tires. This will be used to calculate the side to side tilt.

3) Now for a little trigonometry! If you picture a right triangle sitting on the x-y axis, the x axis will represent the tire distance, the acute angle (A) is the refrigerator tilt spec, and the vertical rise (Y) opposite the angle, the max tilt in inches allowed for the RV.

(tire distance)*tan(max refrigerator tilt) = max tilt of RV in inches

4) So here are the formulas to use:

a) RVs with refrigerator facing the side of the RV:

Max RV tilt side to side= Tire distance across RV *tan(max refrigerator tilt front to back)

Max RV tilt front to back = Tire distance front to back * tan(max refrigerator tilt side to side)

b) RVs with the refrigerator facing front or back of the    RV:

Max RV tilt side to side= Tire distance across RV *tan(max refrigerator tilt side to side)

Max RV tilt front to back = Tire distance front to back * tan(max refrigerator tilt front - back)

5) Use this table to find the tangent of the manufacturer’s spec. [tan(max refrigerator tilt)]:

6) An example:

Manufacturer's specs for my RV's refrigerator: 3 degrees max side to side
6 degrees max front to back

Tire distance: 173" between front and back, 78" between duals

The refrigerator faces to the side of the RV

Max RV tilt side to side= 78*tan(6) = 78 * 0.1051 = 8.2"

Max RV tilt front to back = 173*tan(3) = 173*.0524 = 9.1"

I have placed a graduated bubble that indicates tilts from 0-7" on each side of a corner of the kitchen cabinet. A quick look will tell me if either is maxed out at or past the 7" point. If it is, I know the tilt is 7" or greater and either move the RV or turn off the refrigerator. If it is not up to the 7" point, then the tilt is OK for the refrigerator.

Submitted by: Mike Astley, Email: mike.astley@gmail.com

NOTE: The info above was posted for the author by the Website Administrator (bfadmin-2). Please contact the author with any questions at his email address listed above.
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Website Forum Administrators
(bfadmin-1) Dave Moffat - Primary Administrator
(bfadmin-3) Sandy Perley - Assistant Administrator
(bfadmin-2) Bill Hemme - Backup Administrator
(bfadmin) Email: bfadmin@bornfreervclub.org

Return to “Technical Library”