2011 National Rally in Creede Colorado Recap

Memories of past rallies and caravans
Silverhair

2011 National Rally in Creede Colorado Recap

Post by Silverhair »

2011 National Rally in Creede Colorado

For two days there was a constant stream of Born Free Motor coaches winding their way into Colorado with a destination of the old gold mining town of Creede located at about 8900 feet in elevation. The first evening at the social hour there were tales of the new adventures of crossing mountain passes, some as high as 10,600 feet, and the view of the Colorado Rockies. I did notice some shortness of breath in my “Flat Lander Friends” but they were still excited about telling stories of their trip and the great Homecoming and 85th birthday party for John Dodgen that some of them had left just two days ago. The lodge at Mountain View RV Park was a perfect gathering place. There were massive logs supporting a beautiful wood ceiling and the walls were either glass with rocky mountain views or filled with local period pictures and the traditional Elk mount with a rack that would make anyone proud.

The Colorado weather treated us to some cool nights and even a frost one morning. I think every one was glad to have a propane heater or extra blanket. We did have a few afternoons with a hot wind blowing, but all agreed that it was better than snow and 20 below zero that the miners experienced in the winter.

As in all Born Free events, the food was excellent. I need to add a big thank you to LeRoy and Lois Molsbee and crew on the excellent job of keeping the kitchen running. The coffee was on each day by 6am and the food always hot and on time. We were treated delicious meals from home made cinnamon rolls by a local baker to Iowa pork loin prepared by no other than John Dodgen himself. John and Wanda drove all the way from Humboldt pulling the legendary Chuck Wagon Cooker. He prepared the meal and then was off to take the new 27 foot slide demo unit to another place. If any of you are thinking you are too old to stay “Born Freeing” just use John as a example and hit the road.

The Mine tour was a big hit with all who attended. Most tours today are conducted by summer students reading from a script. The big difference in this tour was that it was conducted by a miner who had worked in the mine for about 40 years. His explanation of the long days and challenges that miners went through was so informative. We all agreed that that type of miner and perhaps man does not exist in today’s world. As the last tour group headed home in the van we passed him walking home. We were glad to be riding at this altitude.

The next days were filled with non stop excitement. The 40 or so that were able to go on the jeep adventure with Mike Bartmettler came back with tales of beautiful mountain views and big snow banks. There were some comments that Mike went where even the Rock Mountain Sheep did not go! Even so, I believe everyone would do it again and pick Mike to lead.

The Creede Repertory Theatre was a pleasant surprise. The theatre has been performing for 46 seasons. While I am not a qualified critic of the arts, I must say that the acting was excellent and the comedy was exactly what this group needed. We all got back to the RV’s about 9:45 pm and I did not see many lights on in the coaches past 10 pm.

It had been a full week with such a varied schedule of events. I know we would all give the rally a big A plus. Whoever is lucky enough to host the 2013 Nationals will have a big job living up to the excitement and beautiful setting of this rally.

I do want to give a special thanks to two couples who made this rally possible:

George and Sue Boley located this RV Park back in 2009 and planted the seed. It is no small task to find a park that can accommodate up to 100 coaches.

Bill and Mary Lyons made it all happen. Bill worked on keeping every thing going smoothly, and it did. Mary must have spent many hours on all the hand made gifts that were provided. From quilts to baskets, all were appreciated.

We all thank you for the special effort, friendship, and memories.

Submitted by: Jack Maxcy
Last edited by Silverhair on Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack and Katy Maxcy
2001 26RSB
Silverhair

OPPS

Post by Silverhair »

After I read my rally recap this morning I realized that I left out one very important activity. For the first time I will be able to remember all the faces of the new and old friends that I met at Creede. This was possible because Linda and Jeff Jahraus used their talents and produced a individual photo of all attendees. This was no small feat as once a person puts on a big hat they think they are J.R. Euing and above being on time for anything. Be sure to look at the web discussions and download a copy for your reference.
Jack and Katy Maxcy
2001 26RSB
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

"He prepared the meal and then was off to take the new 27 foot slide demo unit to another place"

Are you saying there is a 27' model with a slide????????????

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

John, i'm sure it is just a typo as I understand Jack flunked typing 101.
Mel & Connie
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Gee, I was hoping it would be a floor plan like this:
Attachments
26QP.jpg
26QP.jpg (117.31 KiB) Viewed 11955 times
whemme

Post by whemme »

John,

Below is the basic floor plan for the 25' Rear Bath with Slide. The 25' Rear Bath is currently the only Born Free model available with a slide. This is the unit that John and Wanda Dodgen brought to the Creede, CO National Rally.

Get more details by going to the Born Free Motorcoach website.
Attachments
Born Free 25' Rear Bath with Slide.jpg
Born Free 25' Rear Bath with Slide.jpg (10.61 KiB) Viewed 11916 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Thanks Bill. I guess it was a typo that said the 27' with a slide.

The 25' is too small for us, even with the slide, and not enough sleeping space for us, the 2 dogs and an occassional grandchild or two.

The floorplan I showed above is 28' long on the same E450 chassis. I think it's a nice, practical floorplan for the size. Maybe some Born Free engineers can come up with something similiar.

John

Return to “Past Rally and Caravan Recaps”