Recipe needs

Post your favorite food recipes in this forum
Forum rules
This forum is a place for you to post your favorite food recipes of your own making that you think would be of interest to other Born Free motorcoach owners.

You must not post a recipe that has been copyrighted or published by someone else unless you first obtain permission from that person or company.
Hawkeye111

Recipe needs

Post by Hawkeye111 »

We just bought a Born Free with an inverter. I am thinking of using a crock pot as follows. In the morning, before starting driving, fix up the crock pot, put it in the sink surrounded by a towel for buffering and plug it in such that in the evening, we have a ready meal. Has anybody tried this? Our crock pot only draws 80 watts, is a very small one and has just enough space for a meal for two.

If anybody has done this, and it makes sense that way, does anybody have a set of crock pot recipes for two? We like casseroles and stews and tomato based pasta dishes. We would appreciate any leadership for those of you who are more experienced.
Jay
Brent

Post by Brent »

Jay,
I use a crock pot quite a bit - at home and on the road. Working and living alone I find it makes easy and good meals. While traveling I have a good dinner ready when I arrive and if at a site I can go off for part of the day and have the dinner ready when I return. One thing that is nice too is there are usually leftovers for the next couple of meals. Also important to me - it's really hard to mess up a meal :).

If your cooker doesn't have a timer, you might find a timer helpful, that way if you are gone and can’t get back at a specific time the timer will turn the slow cooker off just to be safe. Mine is just a cheap one and has worked well for years.

I do exactly what you are proposing by driving and putting the crock pot in the sink. Just a couple of things - make sure it isn't wrapped by the towel too tight as I think the outside of the appliance needs some air circulation. Also I usually run the generator rather than use my inverter, as my slow cooker pulls more electricity than yours, and I don’t have that much battery capacity.

Once you use this method of cooking you may find it pretty intuitive and improvise some of your own recipes and portions. I've found the "Fix It and Forget It" series (there are about 4 of the books) of slow cooker books by Phyllis Good and Dawn Renck to be very good. There are some CDs available that can be loaded on your laptop. One I have is "Easy Chef's Slow Cookin'". There are applications available for a smart phone if you have one - I have "Crock Pot" for the Iphone.
Hope this helps you, good luck.
Brent
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “My Favorite Recipes”