Roof leaks question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

djack51

Roof leaks question

Post by djack51 »

I’m experiencing a leak showing up over the living room chair behind the passenger seat. I’ve read hear that it is common and normally is leaking on the joint where the front cap joins the main body. I’m wondering if anyone has used eternabond tape to seal right over the joints?

Thanks for any input,
Dave
1999 BF
whemme

Re: Roof leaks question

Post by whemme »

Dave, I suppose you could use that tape to stop the leak but I have no experience using it. Using this tape of course will not look as professional as actually having an experienced RV technician re-caulking the area to repair the leak.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
djack51

Post by djack51 »

Thanks for the reply Bill. I’m living in the rig on Vancouver Island for the winter, lots of rainy days :( so l need a quick fix. We had a no rain day today so l taped over the possible leaking seams with Duct tap to see if the water stops coming in as it is forecast to rain again for the foreseeable future days. If this works it will buy me some time to plan a proper repair. Will try to post with any results. Cheers!
Bonnie McDowell

Post by Bonnie McDowell »

I used Eternabond around my cabover window, which constantly required recaulking (every year!) due to leakage. Not after I did the Eternabond. Here is a thread with pics of mine: https://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin ... ond#p27418

It's on the roof - how "professional" do you need it to look if it works?
Bonnie McDowell
2002 Born Free 24' RB on Ford E450/V10
My first RV - purchased September 2012

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”