Alarm system for BF RVs.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Photobug

Alarm system for BF RVs.

Post by Photobug »

Anyone install an alarm on the BF? I have created a system to protect a bike or motorcycle attached to the back of my Born Free but am also interested in something to protect against unauthorized entry into the RV. Who has got a secured Born Free? How'd you do it?
Gigi

Re: Alarm system for BF RVs.

Post by Gigi »

I would also love to learn about alarms for the Born Free itself as well as which locks work best to lock the Progessive EMS surge protector to the breaker box ?
Gigi Hill
2013 Born Free RBS
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

Gigi wrote:I would also love to learn about alarms for the Born Free itself as well as which locks work best to lock the Progessive EMS surge protector to the breaker box ?
Gigi Hill
2013 Born Free RBS
As far as protecting your EMS if yours has a metal loop on it. You can usually mount any type of cable lock through the metal part and secure it. Here is a cheap one, you can probably find one even more robust but the locks are only there to keep honest people honest. Most cables can be gone through with the right tools pretty quickly by anyone with the right tools and dishonest nature.
Jaker32186

Post by Jaker32186 »

Our BF President came with, what I assume is, a custom alarm mainly for storage and when not in the born free. It was wired to all the door pressure sensors, which are present on the driver and passenger doors as well as the main RV door. They were hooked up to switches in the bottom cabinet under the stove top. There was also a motion sensor wired to the middle of the RV above the kitchen sink splash guard. There were two switches, I think a door and/or motion “on”. To arm the system for one, another, or both “trips”. It all linked to relays and ultimately a large sirens mounted on the underside of the RV chassis that sounded when the sensors tripped. There was also an led light to show the system as “armed”.

Since we don’t store our RV in a facility and I have small kids who get into everything I ultimately removed the alarm/horn and the interior motion sensor and have no intensions of using it.

Passing along, since it’s obviously doable and what the previous did. Using the door switches was pretty smart, and adding the interior motion switch for “window entry” I assume to cover all the basis.
Photobug

Post by Photobug »

Jaker32186 wrote: Using the door switches was pretty smart, and adding the interior motion switch for “window entry” I assume to cover all the basis.
I am capable of wiring into or tying into the door switches but would hope to find a commercial alarm that can get to these door switches without me needing to splice into all door switch wires. I would also like to have an emergency switch to trigger the siren from inside if it sounds like someone is trying to tamper with our bikes attached to the RV.
Jaker32186

Post by Jaker32186 »

I was tinkering with the alarm system, and the “motion sensor” I described I. My first post is a radio shade infrared sensor. I assume it accomplishes the same thing for interior movement but more accurately? Maybe that was the best solution at that time. 1997 Model President.

I’d also like to mention our dashcam has a built in motion sensor, and although some may have an alarm or alert function, if you had a rear cam and front cam you would
have video footage of the “perps” if you found anything missing upon wake up. Our cam, hardwired to the 12v system, records any movement when detected.

I’m sure a panic switch would be a simple thing to wire to an alarm.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”