Experience with Camping World

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

bill crommett

Experience with Camping World

Post by bill crommett »

Last January I bought a new TV and a new antenna for my RV. Not having a cable connection at home I had only Camping Worlds promise that everything was working well. We had not had an opportunity to use the cable connection until going to California in May, and when we tried to use the cable we got maybe one or two fuzzy channels. No big problem because we don't care too much for the endless commercials, and for the news we could get that off the air. In California I took the unit into a Camping World and showed them my "life-time warranty" from Cam,ping World, only to be told that I would have to take it to the Camping World place where I bought the TV and antenna.
Yesterday I took the unit into Camping World at Spartanburg, SC and explained my problem. When I returned to pick up the unit they tried to charge me for a "diagnostic" because they found nothing wrong. After arguing for half an hour the man finally relented, because , I think, he wanted to go home. Today I took the unit to a friends place that has cable and we only got four fuzzy channels, so we tightened up all the cable connections and tried again. The final outcome was that the Programmer on the TV was defective and after 6 tries we got it to program all 50 available channels.
My comment : We were scammed by an incompetent TV tech who found one or two channels and reported nothing wrong.
I will talk to Camping World at Spartanburg next week, and I will report this to Camping World headquarters in Kentucky as soon as I can compose a solid complaint with out getting too inflammatory.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Its disappointing to hear that Camping World does shoddy work and won't stand behind their warranty. Hope you get some satisfaction.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Programming TV Properly

Post by whemme »

Bill,

It is not clear from your post what you mean by the Programmer being defective. If it was defective, then I assume you had to return the TV to a service center for physical repair. If it was a setup issue then the Programmer was not defective - it just was not setup properly and that is the duty of the owner to do that.

I am not sure what happened to you but it may have been as described below - don't know for sure. All TV channels 14 and higher are different depending on if you are trying to receive them off of a cable system or if you are trying to receive them off an on the air TV antenna. Channels 2 thru 13 are the same whether receiving them off a cable or receiving them off an antenna.

So for any channels that you want to receive that are above 13, you must program the TV so that it knows whether you want to receive off of a cable system or an off the air TV antenna. If you don't do that step each time you change from antenna to cable or the reverse, you won't receive properly any channels above 13. Secondly, once you make the choice of off the air antenna or cable, then you must put the TV into the automatic channel scan mode (sometimes called channel autoscan) so that it can automatically select the channels that will display OK with enough signal strength.

Since an RV moves from place to place, each time you move your coach to a different location you may need to program your TV with the antenna/cable choice and also do over again the automatic rescan channel selection.

If what I described above is what happened to you, then I guess I would not blame Camping World except that maybe they were lax in not explaining the above selection steps with you.

This is just a possible explanation and if I am wrong, I apologise.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”