News From Alaska 2007

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

PandJ

News From Alaska 2007

Post by PandJ »

We are in Dawson City tonight. Taking ferry, then over the Top of the World Highway to Tok tomorrow. Where is everyone. We have only seen two Born Free since passing through Seattle. Weather is warm and sunny
here.
Any question on conditions, feel free to ask us.
Pamela and John Waddell
Kerry and Kim Martin

Post by Kerry and Kim Martin »

For those of you coming up the highway to Alaska, when you make it to Seward, give us a call. 907-224-3049. As a Born Free owner, I do try to stop and say hello to any Born Free I see parked along the beachfront campground. Two so far this year. One from Anchorage and one from MN. For us, the joy is living in Alaska, spending the summer here and then heading south for the winter. We will be heading out in late September. Enjoy the highway and safe journey.
PandJ

Where is everyone?

Post by PandJ »

we made note of your #. we'll be there.
thkurtz

Alaska

Post by thkurtz »

we are in Fairbanks. The last 200 to 300 miles in the Yukon Territory of the Alaskan Hwy were rough. Took a tour to the Artic circle from Fairbanks over the Dalton Hwy which was great(16 hrs) round trip. Also the Museum at the Univ of Alaska(Museum of the North) is a must see especially the Northern lights(scientific perspective) presentation. Now off to Denali. We have decided to take the ferry back to Prince Rupert from Whittier(August 30th). Have seen and talked to one Born Free person who just bought a used 1989 rsb 26 foot in which he said is making the trip fine.
2002 RSB
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- we also are in Alaska -- right now we are in Valdez and will head to Anchorage arriving there on Saturday -- then on to the Kenai area next week -- we agree that the roads in Canada this year are not good -- especially between Whitehorse and Tok -- worst we have ever seen in Alaska -- Bob and Carol Newby
PandJ

Where is Everyone

Post by PandJ »

Hi,
Yes, the roads were difficult, it's our first time but that top of world was
shake and rattle time. :shock: In Tok, we stayed at the Sourdough campground,
good fun, nice place.
We reach Fairbanks Monday. Let us know if you'll still be there, we can come and say hi.
We have great pics of a Mother bear and two cubs. We stopped the RV for a quick break and out of the trees they came. Paid no attentin to us, we watched for thirty minutes then moved on.
I'm aslo enjoying running into people we met here and there since Dawson Creek.John and Pamela
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi back -- we are in Anchorage till sometime on Monday -- need a hopefully small repair on our BF --- then on down the Keni -- we are at Ship Creek Landings RV Park and will be back here by July 6th for a couple of days before heading back to the lower 48 -- Bob Newby
thkurtz

Seward, AK

Post by thkurtz »

We are now camped in Seward, Ak right next to Resurrection Bay. The town is beautiful and people are friendly. We met Kerry Martin and two other Born Free folks camped in the area. John and Pam and Tom and Helga. Having a great time in AK.
2002 RSB
Fortyniner

News from Alaska 2007

Post by Fortyniner »

We enjoyed meeting the four Born Free in the Seward City Campground and their owners. The Born Free owners greet each other like family. We are on our first trip since purchasing our 24' RB last year. Sorry we missed the Martins in Seward. Took in a cruise at that time.If any of you ever decide to come to the great state of Minnesota, look us up in Glencoe.javascript:emoticon(':D')
Fortyniner

News from Alaska 2007

Post by Fortyniner »

We are new on these posts, forgot to sign our name to the previous post.

Tom & Helga Schmidt
Glencoe, MN javascript:emoticon(':oops:')
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

Haven't heard anymore from all you folks traveling around in AK? Just wondering, how was the trip - overall? Would you go back again? We're planning to drive up in 2008. We were there in 2003 and have been wanting to go back ever since. What would you do different if you went back?
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I went last year with Tracks.

I would go back, yes. Definitely. You bet.

What would I do different? I'd go with one other rig, maybe 2, but not a large group. I would stay longer. I'd go up in late April, and stay until mid September. I'd take my time and pace myself more, and see all the things we were in too much a hurry to see, and skp some of the things I saw last time. Spend more unstructured time just exploring.

I'd bring the jeep.

I'd probably drive up to Chicken or nearby, and then take the Jeep up top of the world highway, instead of taking the motorhome over it. The view is worth it.

I might take more photos. I probaly would not have a friend in the coach with me. I'd want a friend with their own coach, but I'd want my time to myself and more freedom from those hassles.

You asked. There's my 'what I'd do differently" and would I go again list.

Trish
Mary Ann

Post by Mary Ann »

I went on the Born Free Alaska trip, July 15 to Aug 23 or so. What would I do differently? I would travel as little of Canada as possible. The roads are terrible, poorly marked and everything is VERY explensive, especially gasoline and bottled water. On my return, which was without the caravan (12 rigs), I crossed into the lower 48 as quickly as possible, and had a wonderful trip across the upper US, from Sweet Grass Montana. I loved Alaska and would truly love to return. Now that I have been with a group (all very compatible Born Frees and wonderful people), like Trisha I'd like a more leisurely trip, without a fixed schedule, but as a single female traveling only with her dog, I'll probably not get back since it is so far from my home in Florida. If you haven't been, and you have a Born Free, plan a trip. It is great! Traveling to Chicken on the washboard dirt road, would not be on my list again, altlhough the scenery is great, but the drive is tough in an RV....must be much worse in all those 1-800 rental Rvs we saw.When we were there, their seemed to be plenty of campgrounds and other places to dry camp.
Mary Ann

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”