New 2008 Born Free

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CANDE

New 2008 Born Free

Post by CANDE »

I attended the 60th Anniversary party for Dodgen Industries. Doug Spencer spoke and he outlined the changes that were to be made in the 2008 Born Free: 1. 3-burner stove standard in all models, 2, lower sofa base ends for cab chairs to recline, 3. new lp detector, 4. custom birch utensil and knive block drawer insert, 5. new carpet 42 oz Berba cut pile, 6. tag and label drain valves (simplify) winterization, 7. new overhead cabinet hinges, gas shocks.

When he finished his presentation they opened the overhead door to the showroom where we were seated. They drove in the 2008 models; 1st a 22' rear door, 2nd 24' rear bath, 3rd 26' rear bed, and 4th the 32'. I was stunned by the fact that at 35' away I could not see any seams, but as you can see by the pictures they are there. The seams are now glued together eliminating the need for screws.

There are several other changes: new nose cone design; new led lights for clearance, turn signals and tail light which are all molded into the body for easier washing and protection against breakage, a new trailer hitch by Rigid. The new nose cone is more aerodynamic than before. The sides have a new lower skirt along with new rear fenders which are equal to the present front fenders.

All in all a most welcome change to the old design.
Attachments
This is a view from the front of the new design of the cabover section.
This is a view from the front of the new design of the cabover section.
New Born Free Body Cabover View.jpg (14.13 KiB) Viewed 17902 times
This is a view from the right side of the new Born Free body design.
This is a view from the right side of the new Born Free body design.
New Born Free Body Right Side View.jpg (20.19 KiB) Viewed 17902 times
This is a body side view showing the new flush seam joining the two parts of the fiberglass shell.
This is a body side view showing the new flush seam joining the two parts of the fiberglass shell.
New Born Free Body Side of Seam.jpg (10.4 KiB) Viewed 17903 times
This is a view of the body opening for the rear dual wheels.
This is a view of the body opening for the rear dual wheels.
New Born Free Body Rear Duals Opening View.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 17905 times
This is a side view of the new cabover area of the new body style.
This is a side view of the new cabover area of the new body style.
New Born Free BodyCabover, Side View.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 18028 times
This is a side view of the new body style with gas props now holding up access doors and side skirts added to lower body area.
This is a side view of the new body style with gas props now holding up access doors and side skirts added to lower body area.
New Born Free Body, Side View.jpg (14.6 KiB) Viewed 18038 times
This is a rear view of the new body style with the new LED brake/turn signal lights and running lights and with the back up lights now located in the rear bumper.
This is a rear view of the new body style with the new LED brake/turn signal lights and running lights and with the back up lights now located in the rear bumper.
New Born Free Body, Rear View.jpg (14.34 KiB) Viewed 18040 times
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
LeAnn

new model

Post by LeAnn »

Hi Cande,
I'm glad you were able to make the celebration, we were not able to attend. During the presentation, was anything metnioned about a change in the truck, engine or mechanical parts from the Ford Trucks currently used?

Thank you for the update on the changes presented and your impressions.
CANDE

New 2008 Born Free

Post by CANDE »

LeAnn

Nothing was said about Ford Chassis Changes. We heard that there will be a powerful new look. New E350 cutaway model choice. Increase GVWR on Cutaway - all new brake systems - improved steering system and enchanced suspension - engine appears to remain the same. E-350 DRW will go to 12,500# GVWR, E-450 DRW will go to 14,500# GVWR. The dimensions of the cab and chassis will remain virtually the same.
6.0L diesel engine option on E-350 & E-450 later availablity.

This information was obtained at a Ford Dealer on the literature rack showing 2008 E-Series "The Next Generation".

CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
Mel Wilbur

2008 Born Free

Post by Mel Wilbur »

A couple of extra pictures.
Attachments
24RB 2008.jpg
24RB 2008.jpg (81.18 KiB) Viewed 17874 times
2008 24RB.jpg
2008 24RB.jpg (78.99 KiB) Viewed 17874 times
Mel & Connie
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

I sure like that paint (just the decals) better than the full-paint job they offer. Glad they still have the distinctive look (albeit updated) of a Born Free, too.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
LeAnn

2008 RV disucssion

Post by LeAnn »

Hi,
Great pictures!! Thank you Candace and Mel!! Do you have any thoughts about the improvements to the various sizes? Did the changes affect or improve the interior spaces - storage, space or design, in a sleepover cab - does the new cabover design give the feeling of more room for the person sleeping in the nose?

Other thoughts?

Thanks
whemme

Black Streaks?

Post by whemme »

I am wondering if the new flush seam design on the 2008 Born Free body shell will prevent the black streaks from forming which is a common problem on the older bodies and requires the use of black steak remover to clean it off on a periodic basis?
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
bcope01

Re: Black Streaks?

Post by bcope01 »

whemme wrote:I am wondering if the new flush seam design on the 2008 Born Free body shell will prevent the black streaks from forming which is a common problem on the older bodies and requires the use of black steak remover to clean it off on a periodic basis?
Bill, don't want to hijack this thread, but do you think that the source of the black streaking is the seams? I guessed that it came from the stuff (dirt, dust, road grime, pollution, bird droppings, etc.) that accumulated on the roof between washings and then seeped over the sides when more moisture accumulated on the roof than it could normally hold without overflowing somewhere. I just figured it found the seams when it came off the roof. You may be right, tho.

Bill
Last edited by bcope01 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Black Streaks

Post by whemme »

Bill,

I think the black streak formation has something to do with the RTV type sealant used to seal the strip of material (whatever it is) that was used to cover the seams on the older body style. It appeared to me that the sealant attracted dirt and grime because of it's somewhat sticky surface and the gradual accumulation eventually turned black in color.

My analysis of this may be all wrong also.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
CANDE

New 2008 Born Free

Post by CANDE »

We feel that we are slowing the board down by posting more pictures, but
We have 28 pictures of the 2008 BF which were taken with a 10 mega pixel camera. We will be happy to make a CD for anyone who provides a self-addressed and stamped CD mailer. Our mailing address is E. Freye, 2215 Mill Road, Sheboygan, WI 53083.
Ed and Carol Freye
Mel Wilbur

2008 Born Free

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Sam and Bill, the new type seam cannot be retrofitted to older coaches. The reason being the new molds have an overlap of one section to another with space age bonding making them watertight. The vinly type molding is just cosmetic for a clean look. These moldings are attached with their own adhesive backing which means no more screw holes.

As for the black streaks some of them come from the aluminum that is currently used in the strips over any joint where two pieces of fibreglass come together. This is mostly eliminated with the new construction as other than awning rails and hardware, roof ladder and rack and antenna base there is not much aluminum to cause some of the streak problems.
Mel & Connie
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Great pictures -- do you have any pictures of the 32 ft. ? -- would be interested in seeing them -- Bob Newby
Roadtech

Post by Roadtech »

Does anyone know when the new Ford 2008 E Series will be available on the new 2008 Born Free models?
Mel Wilbur

2008 model coaches

Post by Mel Wilbur »

32" President
Attachments
MVC-004S.jpg
MVC-004S.jpg (53.44 KiB) Viewed 13907 times
Mel & Connie
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Oooohhh...I like that. I do wonder..that cabover space actually looks smaller. Shorter. I already can't sit up.

But I love the rear dual wheel area, the shocks on the lower doors, and the skirt. It's a nice look. Also really appreciate the idea of labels on drains.

I do want to see it in the new E450 body style.

Mmmm...now that starts to tempt me. However, if the stock market has too many more weeks like this one...I won't be buying anything.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”