Request for listing of RV insurance companies

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

LeAnn

Request for listing of RV insurance companies

Post by LeAnn »

Hi everyone...

As we draw cloaser to the purchase of our BF motorhome, I am attempting to research RV motorhome insurance companies. I have read some of the listings on the discussion board, and checked the vendor listing. I would appreciate any input from the board membership.

I am looking for a listing of companies and your thought. Our travels will be acrossed Canada, USA and most of Mexico. Your learned experience will assist us in finding a plan for our new investment.

Thank you again -
lassen

Post by lassen »

LeAnn....If you are going to be traveling USA, Canada, and Mexico you might check out Progressive Ins. as it covers you in all three.

The just renewed annual premium on our coach was $465.00 with full replacement coverage. Last winter's trip to Mexico cost us $147.00 for Mexican liability. With Progressive covering our coach it saved me about $400.00 .

Also Progressive doesn't require you to have claims repaired in Mexico. If it can't be driven then they will either toe or haul it back to the nearest US repair facility.

Jack....
Jack & Jan
2005 24RB
hrgermany

RV INSURANCE

Post by hrgermany »

I have a 1995 BF 26 FT RSB,3 cars and my house insured with AAA auto club.I only carry liability insurance on my RV.The annual premium is $171
dollars.

Hans Rueckert
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

While finding the lowest price is always attractive, remember that insuring a motorhome is not the same as insuring a car. If the insurance does not cover the contents of your RV, or have the medical liability limits like your home, it's not real RV coverage. Mine looks a little like a homeowners + auto insur. combined.

I'm with Progressive. It's one of two companies that Tracks Caravans recommends for Mexico. I think GMAC motorhome insurance was the other.

The reason is simple: Laws in Mexico are not like the US...(the orig. poster stated an interest in Mexico and Canada.)

In Mexico, a traffic 'accident' is considered a crime, and most likely, in an accident with injuries, the non-injured party is likely going to jail. Mexico Liability insurance includes money to hire a lawyer/bondsman to get you out of jail. Your RV will probably be impounded. You'll have to bail it out. So American insurances don't cover the complexities of Mexican law. If someone in your accident is injured, you're personally liable for their medical recovery and care. Your insurance MUST cover them.

So normal insurance for RV's and autos for America don't work in Mexico for that.

Canada, I'm not so sure what the differences are. I drove through there...and was told by my insurance co that it was enough. I have progressive. I also do not carry the minimum liability required, I have a stepped up amount. I pay extra for it, but if someone decides that, based on my rig, it looks like I've got money and they wish to sue me, I'd like my insurance to cover it...not end up penniless. Considering the adjudicating nature of our society, I buy insurance to cover the potentialities of ending up in a mix-it-up with a sue-happy individual.

So there's more to it than cost. If you ever need it; the cheapest option may leave you wishing you'd spent a little more. If people didn't sue each other at the drop of a hat in this society, maybe I'd think different. I don't want to go buy everything all over again (out of pocket) in the advent of a disaster....

but then...there are people who've been in disasters and thought they were insured, and are still wondering where the relief is... (think Katrina/Rita).

Alas...like the commercial says...if you spent 6 months deciding which vehicle to buy...it makes sense to spend more than 15 minutes choosing the right insurance.

Does anyone know that GEICO stands for 'Government Employee Insurance Co?' apparently now available to everyone. But we know how/where it originated.

Oh, to have a few shares of Berkshire Hathaway. Warren Buffet is looking for a fund manager. I'd like that job. Along with some stock compensation. Those shares are spendy. I've gone off topic a little.

Much to think about. Find out aobut the laws for coverage where you plan to use it, if you can choose to disable the insurance if you're not using it on the road, etc. etc. Stick with companies who understand what an RV is, so they know that there are other things you want included, like awnings, generators, etc. Most car insurance won't touch that, and claims time is not the time to learn that!

Good luck.

PatTrish
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

My insurance agent owns and RV also. She recommended Progressive and that is what I use. A few years ago, before the BF, we owned a travel trailer. I put a 1 inch hole in it, in the middle of the back wall. Two adjusters came, very nice guys, and agreed to replace the entire wall. I am sure it cost them a pretty penny.

I insure my motorcycles with them also. Members of Honda Riders club get a discount. But my cars and house are on a different company.
bill crommett

RV insurance

Post by bill crommett »

I was a little disappointed with Progressives approach to RV insurance, so we went with Good Sam"s GMAC insurance, which looks to have covered all bases.

Trish: you covered the subject in full, I think .
Trisha

Re: RV insurance

Post by Trisha »

bill crommett wrote:I was a little disappointed with Progressives approach to RV insurance, so we went with Good Sam"s GMAC insurance, which looks to have covered all bases.

Trish: you covered the subject in full, I think .
Yeah, I have a tendency to do that :(
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Sam Ryan wrote:Owning Berkshire-Hathaway stock doesn't entitle those of us residing in Texas, to the additional 8% discounted insurance rates. Because of individual state laws, GEICO isn't allowed to extend the 8% discount to us.

I don't see why GEICO or State Farm wouldn't cover travel in Mexico or Canada, for that matter.

As for Katrina, the tidal water surge was caused by the wind, so insurance companies did not want to cover for flood damage, caused by water. If I understood their position correctly on claim denial. Reading the declaration pages of your insurance policies are essential to understanding your actual coverage.
While it is true that the wind caused a tidal surge, it seems that most of them are denying claims for 'wind damage' saying it was water damage....but if you don't live in a flood plane, you don't qualify for national flood insurance. They don't automatically allow anyone to buy it. However, it is the same with all natural disasters and insurance coverage. It was the 2004 Cedar Fire in E. San Diego County...the one that nearly burned mom's house down (burned everything on most of the property, the shed, all the trees, part of her roof, the patio table on the back patio, part of the car port. Her claims were settled well, and she reroofed, repainted, and cleaned the smell (and the soot) out of the house without a problem. she had Farmers.

I testified at a California Senate State Subcommittee on Insurance hearing that convened there (as I became trustee on the house shortly after the fire)...and you wouldn't believe the shenanigans that insurance companies were pulling on people. I tried to increase the insurance amount on the house, based on the value of replacement, and Farmer's refused me. They had a set $ per square foot, and that was that. However, as you know, rebuilding costs more than their insured value.

Of course, right after I testified, I got satisfaction. The transcripts of the hearing are still online and can be found if you google my name.

As for Berkshire-Hathaway, I was thinking of the value of their shares! :shock: At least I think that's what I was thinking. I gotto go. thunder and lightning....
LeAnn

RV companies

Post by LeAnn »

Thank you everyone - we have learned alot!!

A couple of companies in addition to those previous have been suggested to look at:

Progressive
Good Sam's
GIECO

National Interstate
American Modern Home

If you would like to give thoughts or experiences, we would love to hear from you - either posted or private message.

Thank you everyone -
LeAnn
ND
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

LeAnn,

How you insure your coach depends a lot on how you use it, and your financial circumstances. We have ours insured with our local agent through Grinnell Mutual. We looked at the various "full coverage" RV options, and those are excellent if you're full-timing and don't have other property, but if you're a home owner who only occasionally uses the RV, and don't plan on taking it out of the country regularly, your local agent may be able to offer excellent coverage at competitive prices. Our '01 23RK costs us 1/4 of what our Y2K Excursion 4WD cost us to insure, and we carry $3million/$1million liability as well as full coverage with $250 deductible. Since we don't full time in it, we don't have much stored in it for contents, so if it goes up in smoke, we're not out much anyway contents-wise, and most of our homeowners' insurance coverage extends to the moho.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

We went with Progressive (Aon Recreation Insurance) offered through Born Free, and in comparison with our usual vehicle insurer, Armed Forces Insurance Exchange, and GEICO, received a lower quote for the same coverage, and found out several other insurance companies actually use Aon as their underwriter for recreational vehicle rates.

Aon allows you to set up convenient monthly debits from a chequing account, rather than semi-annual, or quarterly premiums. For comparison, on a vehicle value in the $150K range, the rate is approximately $65 per month.

If a vehicle is not used for part of the year, there is a way to declare seasonal coverage and not pay for the time a vehicle is in storage.

Len C sends
LeAnn

RV insurance

Post by LeAnn »

Thank you -
We have been given a couple of quotes and told between three that the coverage is the same, but the cost of premiums is significantly different.

Progressive
National Interstate Insurance
American Modern Home

I am having some trouble trying to find out the "differences" between the companies regaridn policy and reason behind the differences of premiums.

I am also wondering if anyone has had any positive or negative experiences with regard to submitting a claim and additional charges with any of these or other companies.

It is hard to get answers from agents of the large insurance companies that include any specifics other than the quotes.

Thank you all for your time and assistance.
LeAnn
David and Susan Bratt

rv insurance

Post by David and Susan Bratt »

We are the ones with the flood damage. Three days ago Progressive called to tell us that we were not covered for flood damage. Yesterday they called again to say, oops, you have a motorhome not a mobilehome so you are covered. The insurance adjuster just came and took a very brief look at the water level and told us it is totaled. Now we shall wait and see what $# they come up with.
While it was a couple of horrible days thinking that we had lost our $50,000 investment, I have to give Progressive credit for realizing they had made a mistake. I think we would have figured that out once we found the policy (in the motorhome.)
Rover 2002 24ft RB

www.ourtravelswithrover.com
LeAnn

Thank you

Post by LeAnn »

Thank you for the input regarding insurance companies - you have been most helpful.

I am glad that the representative realized the mistake and i hope they response quickly.

Thank you
LeAnn

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”