Tow a Honda Fit?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

TLBlanchard

Tow a Honda Fit?

Post by TLBlanchard »

Has any one towed a Honda Fit? We recently purchased a 2007 Honda Fit, great little car, good milage and fun to drive. I have the manual xmission and according to Roadmaster who supplied the tow bar base plate, it is towable.
The Honda owners manual says not to tow over 50 miles in an emergency?
Any one have any input?

Thanks
Tom Blanchard
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Tom, all of my web-wide research on this topic indicates that you have already researched it web-wide. :D You are soon becoming the expert on towing a Honda Fit. It's unfortunate that auto makers won't test for this capability on all of their models, publish the results, and stand behind their warranties.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
TLBlanchard

Expert.

Post by TLBlanchard »

Like you said, I am soon going to be the expert on towing the Fit.
I just hope it isn't an expensive education.... :wink:
Tom Blanchard
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

It's a small sedan:

http://automobiles.honda.com/fit/

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
bill crommett

towing

Post by bill crommett »

This is reminiscent of the time I called Camping World to get a recommendation on alteration of my Tracker for towing. When I questioned the man about his recommendation that the vehicle was towable as is, his retort was: " I'm not trying to sell you a product am I ?" End of conversation.
TLBlanchard

Tow a Honda Fit-So far so good

Post by TLBlanchard »

Well, we received our 24 RB 2 weeks ago and have towed our Honda Fit for about 400 miles.
So far no smoke and no visible damage, it tows like a dream and the coach handles OK with it behind.
I will keep you posted.
We plan on being in Nashville but most likely won't bring the toad.
See you in Nashville
BOB& KATHY GELLER

Post by BOB& KATHY GELLER »

I AM NOT A MECHANIC BUT WHEN WE STARTED RV'ING 12 YEARS AGO WE RESEARCHED TOADS AS BEST WE COULD. WE CAME ACROSS A NUMBER OF TOADS THAT SAID NOT TO TOW OVER 50 MILES WITHOUT RUNNING THE ENGINE FOR A FEW MINUTES WITH THE VEHICLE WAS STOPPED. WE WERE TOLD BY A MECHANIC??? THAT THIS WARNING WAS REALLY ABOUT CIRCULATING THE TRANSMISSION OIL. TRUE OR NOT THAT'S WHAT WE WERE TOLD. THE MANUFACTURER'S WARNING WAS TO GUARD THEM AGAINST TRANSMISSION FAILURE AND IF DOCUMENTED COULD VOID THE WARRANTY. REMEMBER THIS IS ANECDOTAL, I AM NOT A MECHANIC, I USED TO FIX HUMAN BODIES, NOT CAR BODIES

BOB
TLBlanchard

Post by TLBlanchard »

Bob,
I kinda figured that the warning was a CYA deal with the mfgr.
I was careful to start and run the motor with the shifter in neutral and the clutch out a couple of times. We actually only towed the rig about 170 miles at any one timeand have totaled about 400 miles.
What type of human fixer upper were you, the wife was an OR RN for over 30 years, she was one of 8 of the first RNFA (RN first assistant) in NC and was a certified OR nurse.
Hope to see all in Nashville, we have many questions about our new BF.
Tom and Marion Blanchard

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”