Comments on A & E awning ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Ann P

Comments on A & E awning ?

Post by Ann P »

I have a 2005 26'RSB with a CareFree awning. I love the push button on/off controls but the arms are very heavy, and difficult for me to push and adjust. I am thinking about trading in my coach for a 2008 24'RB. The newer BFs have A & E awnings, which I'm told are better made than Care Free...but I'd lose the power button and have to use the reaching rod and the straps,etc. At least the arms are much lighter.

So is this a good trade-off? If you have an A & E awning on your 2007 (maybe 2006?) BF, are you happy with it? Easy to use and clean?

The 2008s look pretty fancy . Thanks for the pics and info from those who were in Iowa for the unveiling.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

From the posted pictures of the 2008 models, it appears they have the manually operated Dometic A&E 9000 awning in the Polar White color. They used the "old style" (oval-shaped awning arms) of A&E hardware because the side of the Born Free requires a special curved arm to hug the side of the coach. The A&E number for this special hardware kit is 838200D638B. A&E doesn't make this kit for the "new style" Elite 9000/9000 Plus awning with the round-shaped awning arms and automatic rain-dump feature.

Coincidently, after consulting with Kim Olson at the BF factory on model numbers, etc., I am having my local Camping World install one of these "old-style" awnings with the special curved arm hardware on my 2004 BFT next week. FWIW, I was told by the CW technician responsible for awning installs that the "old style" awning was a far superior awning to the new design.

Bill
Attachments
Curved Awning Arm.jpg
Curved Awning Arm.jpg (36.2 KiB) Viewed 7422 times
Last edited by bcope01 on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

I have the manual A&E on my '01 23RK, and also on my '06 Bigfoot 25' trailer. I've also had one on my 17' Bigfoot. They are easy to operate, and I really like them. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with the CareFree, so I can't offer a comparison.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

We have the A & E awning on our 2007 BFT that we got in May. It has the curved arm just like Bill's picture. Works great, and we have no problems with it. Don't know the cost, but they do have electric awnings out there for RVs that you just operate with a push of a button.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

FYI, CW President's Club member price for the A&E curved arm hardware (#838200D638B) is right at $300. A&E 9000 11' woven acrylic fabric and roller assembly with metal weathershield about $547 (longer awnings will cost more). One A&E bottom bracket bracket extension lit (2 pieces) at $3. Shipping charge of $70, labor to install everything $79, and a $6 shop fee (towels, waste disposal, and protective covering). Total cost, including California tax of $67, of about $1,072.

I've had this old style A&E awning on RVs in the past and was very happy with it - easy to operate and built tough.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”