Avoid Minneapolis - 35 through the cities unpassable.

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Trisha

Avoid Minneapolis - 35 through the cities unpassable.

Post by Trisha »

I live just north of the Minneapolis/St. Paul Metro Area. A bridge in Minneapolis has collapsed, the main 35W route through Minneapolis. St. Paul 35E has a weight restriction of only 9M lbs gross weight, and with the entire bridge over Mississippi River now collapsed, there's no way to get through minneapolis/St. Paul via 35. Take 494/694 around....and the 694/35E is closed due to construction so maybe go West around Mpls rather than East.

Just to aid in trip planning.

I'm sure most national news will have more stories on the bridge. Nobody I know (as far as I know) were on the bridge. I drove there yesterday and my Doctor's office exit is right where the bridge goes, so I'll get to figure out my round-about way, thankfully I wasn't there today.

Road construction is notorious here in Minn. in summer, due to weather, so this just complicates any truck/RV travel around the cities. Don't know how soon it will be before there will be any kind of detour.

Just in case you were planning on travelling this direction.

trish
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I'm not posting this to talk to myself...just to add clarification.

When I posted this, it was only an hour or so after the first news reports. We had been told, at first, that there were only about ten cars involved. Then it was twenty. It was about this point that I posted this.

It has since become obvious this was a human tragedy of a much larger scale, far more cars, many people injured, too many dead, many still missing, and even those who were not injured severely, just the impact of being a witness has greatly affected some people.

It took me twelve hours to finally get confirmation that my own sister and brother-in-law were well; I was unable to make contact last night or this morning...and spent a sleepless night. I'm certain that's been the case for many people, and still is for some, who don't know where their loved ones are.

I was in no way trying to be insensitive with my original post. It was just at the time I posted, it just wasn't clear the scope of this tragedy.

It will, however, as I posted originally, make it quite difficult to get from north to south in Minnesota. Please plan accordingly.

Trish
LeAnn

thank you for update

Post by LeAnn »

Tish - thank you for updating all of us. We often come your way, so maybe sometime we can say hello. I appreciate the note of routes and alternatives, we will keep that in mind when bringing family to college in the upcoming weeks.

Take care and bless those families affected by the tragedy.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”