Internet servers/satellite-antenna/wi fi/phone cards

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Tom & Judy Fisher

Internet servers/satellite-antenna/wi fi/phone cards

Post by Tom & Judy Fisher »

Our PocketMail "gizmo" has "died"..so, we're getting a laptop & need any/all info about getting Internet service; satellite-antenna systems, Wi-Fi, phone cards (we're Verizon now & OK with it) & etc. We are FullTimer's living in our custom built 26' RB, starting our 16th year on the road. We spend most of our time boondocking/dry camping w/solar panels. We're not too excited about spending big bucks or carrying more equip, but will if we have to. We want to know what works & want to spend our money wisely, while still getting the best system/service/ THE BEST BANG FOR OUR BUCKS. Any info will be greatly appreciated, Thanking Everyone In Advance.

Tom & Judy Fisher
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Tom/Judy:

Here is url link that discusses the options for what you desire. There may be some broken links in the discussion, so you'll have to find those on your own. This is a short and good discussion on the pros and cons of the different types of internet connections available to RVers.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-in-touch-internet.shtml

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Trisha

Re: Internet servers/satellite-antenna/wi fi/phone cards

Post by Trisha »

Tom & Judy Fisher wrote:Our PocketMail "gizmo" has "died"..so, we're getting a laptop & need any/all info about getting Internet service; satellite-antenna systems, Wi-Fi, phone cards (we're Verizon now & OK with it) & etc. We are FullTimer's living in our custom built 26' RB, starting our 16th year on the road. We spend most of our time boondocking/dry camping w/solar panels. We're not too excited about spending big bucks or carrying more equip, but will if we have to. We want to know what works & want to spend our money wisely, while still getting the best system/service/ THE BEST BANG FOR OUR BUCKS. Any info will be greatly appreciated, Thanking Everyone In Advance.

Tom & Judy Fisher
Being happy with your choices...because they do what *you* want and what *you* need is key to satisfaction!

I hve some questions about fulltiming in a 26' BF. Costs...what kind of living/camping do you do...etc. I'd love if if you'd contact me by private message (through here...there's a little pm button on the post) and perhaps help me with some key informatoin to get me started. I'm having a day-long brain fart' and cannot remember the name of that fulltimers organization. Do you belong?

If you have a few moments to tell me how yu work it, could you pm me? The more I think of it, the more I honestly think my heart is pulling me that way.

Trish
robert

Internet Phone

Post by robert »

I have used a VOIP for many years. Started with Vonage, switched to Sun Rocket. When Sun Rocket went out of business last month, I looked around for a replacement.

I found the Magic Jack (www.magicjack.com) and ordered one. It is a very small device and attaches to a USB port. It can work with a laptop or with a desktop computer. One end of the device is a USB port and the other end is a regular telephone jack (RJ-11).

It will work anywhere you have a high speed internet connection.

You can currently call anywhere in the USA at no cost. If you travel outside the US, you can call back to the USA at no cost.

The cost is $40.00 for the device and the first year of service. The 2nd year of service is $20.00.

The voice quality is better than Vonage and Sun Rocket. You can use the phone to call, or you can use the screen to call.

I recommend this to anyone who likes to make long distance calls without being concerned about cost.
Mary Findlay

Connecting to the Internet

Post by Mary Findlay »

Woodalls has just published an article on some of the internet connectivity choices in their current newsletter. Go to www.woodalls.com and download their free newsletter for the information.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”