Cooking While Traveling ?

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Guy Carter

Cooking While Traveling ?

Post by Guy Carter »

I read a previous post about using a slow cooker/crock pot while traveling so a meal would be ready when you stopped for the evening. I've searched and searched but cannot find it. Does anyone do this ? I'm curious about how well the 12V crock pots actually perform? Also curious about the effects on the batteries & vehicle charger. Seems like a fairly heavy draw for 3 to 4 hours?
Linda Giuliani

Post by Linda Giuliani »

Hi Guy,

I opted for the expensive Nissan Stainless Steel Cook and Carry System (4.7 quart). Amazon.com has new and used ones listed in their Home and Garden section. This unit requires only your propane stove to get the pot boiling for 10 minutes before you set the stainless steel bucket into the thermal carrier, lock the handle, and leave it 4 to 6 hours until the food is cooked. Our unit fits in our single sink where it won't tip over.

I do simple soups and stews in it with really good results. I brown the meat in the bucket, add the rest of the veggies and liquid, bring it to a boil for ten minutes and I'm done. The veggies seem to have a better texture than when I use a conventional crock pot at home. So I now use the Nissan at home as well as in the coach.

What I like is that I'm not drawing down on the batteries. That is important when we boondock.

What I don't like is that the unit is expensive ($130 new and about $100 used). But I justified it because our Born Free is a classy rig and I didn't want to outfit it with "cheap stuff" . (One must overlook the fact that my wine comes from Costco in jugs. Okay - so I;m not consistant! :lol: )
Brent

Post by Brent »

Guy,
I often use a crock pot while traveling. Mine is an inexpensive unit that will set down in the sink. It seems to fit just right and doesn't transmit any high degree of heat to the sink.

I plug it into the shore power and run the generator sometimes, other times I plug into an inverter and pull off of batteries while driving - which keeps the batteries charged. I have not tried using only battery power while boondocking.

It seems to work OK for me.
Bornfree (1999 Rear Kitchen)
Traveling with Chester (The Boxer) - at least in spirit

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”