RV Service contracts

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

LeAnn

RV Service contracts

Post by LeAnn »

Hi,

We are wondering if adding a seperate service contract such as Good Sam's club, or other company has been a good idea or what your thoughts are. We plan to own our BF for the long term since we had some custom work done to meet our specific needs.

Thanks for all thoughts and opinions.
LeAnn
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

LeAnn;

I have had service contracts on my last 2 motorhomes, but have held off on the BF.

I think the first one was with Interstate and the second was RV Warranty Experts. In both cases I made out with the contract. On the Bounder they paid for a fuel pump and new rear springs. On my Allegro they covered a transmission valve body assembly and a fuel pump.

I got back more than what I paid for the contract. But, I had to make sure all the manufacturer recommended service was done, and have receipts to prove it. If you miss an oil change, they can refuse to cover a breakdown.

It's basically a gamble. You have to read the entire contract before you sign it. I'm sure if you hit them up with a major repair bill, they would be looking for a loophole to get out of paying. I lucked out with mine.

John
Ruby2

Post by Ruby2 »

I bought one for my car and was very happy with it. Came out way ahead on it. However, it was for 75,000 additional miles over the original warranty of 36,000.

The Warranties that I see for MH is a yearly cost. I could have used it on my "B" when the transmission went out at 27,000 miles but who would have thought it would go bad? Cost me $3000 but then they had to redo it about 12,000 miles later. Bad valve body!!! I had to put a refrigerator in it and that cost about $1000. The cost of the extended warranty would be about $1400 a year so over last 4 years I am ahead.

Good maintenance by you and quick notice of a problem will probably be your best warranty, that is MHO!

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”