Water heater switch question

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Mike Astley

Water heater switch question

Post by Mike Astley »

Our water heater switch, when turned on, lights briefly and then goes out.

This is not what I would think would be a logical normal response..I would expect it would either stay on as long as the switch is on (to remind you the water heater is on) or come back on once the water had reached a certain temperature.

Can someone tell what it's supposed to do? (I have a '99 Born Free)

Any idea how to correct it?

(The water heater and on/off of the switch work just fine, the switch light just seems odd.)

Thanks!

..Mike
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Mike -- it sounde like your switch is working OK -- it only stays on till the gas ignites and then goes out -- if for any reason the gas doesn't ignite turn the switch off and then back on -- sometimes , if the water heater hasn't run for a while the gas doesn't fill the pipe and it may take one or two tries before the gas is up to the W/H --- if you had an electric W/H element that switch would stay of while the electricity is being used by the W/H -- you can tell if your gas water heater is working by the loud sound it makes while the gas is running to heat the water -- it won't run all the time only when heating the water then it shuts off --- BobN
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

OUPS -- I hit the wrong key -- on an electric W/H the switch light stayes ON while being used -- sorry for the mistake
whemme

Water Heater Switch

Post by whemme »

Mike,

Robert is right. On the LP gas fired water heater in a Born Free, when the heater switch is turned ON, it is normal for the red light to illuminate briefly for only approximately 3 to 5 seconds - just enough time for the ignitor to start the LP gas burner, then the red light goes out. That red light will only come on again briefly when the thermostat in the heater says the water temperature has dropped sufficiently that the heater needs be fired up again to reheat the water. This may only happen every 3 hours or so when that switch is ON.

I determine whether the water heater is ON just by looking at the mechanical position of the switch. One precaution to note is to make sure there is water in the heater tank before turning that switch ON.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Mike Astley

Post by Mike Astley »

Thanks folks! That makes sense now. The water heater is propane and the light stays on only briefly 2-3 seconds, I would guess, which by explanation is a good thing indicating its firing up easily.

I have never noticed it coming on at a later time to reheat the water, but considering the brief lit time, I probably missed it.

One RV mystery resolved! :D

Thanks again!

..Mike
1999 26RSB
Fort Collins, CO
Ray'n Mary

Water Heater Instruction

Post by Ray'n Mary »

Appreciated all those tips.
D.I.'s instruction book sure should make this clearer. And, while they're at it, label the 110v hot water switch.
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

A suggestion I have already made. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks so. Well, you BF factory guys who read this (and you know that I know who you are!)....lol...wazzup! Get out that label stuff and make some labels for us folks.

Heck, I can have it all figured out one season, and come back next season and not be able to remember which is which anymore! What's up with that?

<g>

All other explanations here are just as I would have said.

Trish (where THE 4-LETTER WORD SNOW is already in our forecast FOR THIS WEEK!0
LeAnn

no snow

Post by LeAnn »

Hi,
We're trying to not notice the forcast or hope that it is incorrect - enjoy the few days of fall (especially in North Dakota)!
:D

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”