In-motion Satellite Dome

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

CANDE

In-motion Satellite Dome

Post by CANDE »

We are considering a in-motion satellite dome on our 2008 BF 24' RB. We cannot quite decide between KVH, King Dome or Winegard. Can anyone help up with the following information and experience:

1. Type of dome installed?
2. Where mounted?
3. Quality of reception in the rain?
4. Does the dome have to be wiped with a solution for moisture, if so how often?
5. Ease of locating signal?
:?:
CANDE
Ed and Carol Freye
2016 Born Free 29' Splendor
Towing a 2014 Mini Cooper Coupe
bill crommett

dome

Post by bill crommett »

I am not the one you wanted to hear from, and not the one with the good news you were expecting. We bought an 04 with a King Dome already installed, and we had so many problems with the whole thing as well as the poor response from the factory that we finally canceled out our Direct TV contract and bought a better batwing antenna so we could get something off the air. Question: Why would anyone with a small unit like a 24 ft want to watch TV while on the go ? The only valid reason for a TV on the go would be to keep the kids occupied, but Benedryl would be cheaper, and just as educating.
If anyone wants a cheap on-the-go Kingdome, I'll take $500.00 for ours.
Nancy

Post by Nancy »

We have the KVH in motion satellite and keep it tuned to the weather channel while we travel. It saved our butts in Indiana when a thunderstorm was coming at us on the interstate and then tornado warnings started coming across. We got off the interstate at the next exit and the tornado went by us by about a mile. Never without that on now while going down the road.
2005 26' RSB Casual Elegance
bill crommett

in motion sattalite

Post by bill crommett »

I am glad to know that someone has found a good use for the in-motion sattelite TV. As an old sailor, I have never had any problem working with the weather radio to guide me along the road, but a TV is a new one for me. I hope that your KVH is easier to start up and program than the Kingdome we have .

As an aside to our problems with Kingdome, when I contacted the factory about up-grading our unit to a simple on/off parked-in-a-campground model, the factory rep said that it would be " A Down Grade "and he refused to discuss the problem further.

I have seen the stationary models of the Kingdome that were easy to program. Just push the "Go " button and wait a couple of minutes and it came to life
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

To give you another perspective, we have the 32-ft unit with a factory installed, in-motion King-Dome, and pulling in DirecTV on the living area LCD television. Previously, we had a similar setup in the 32-ft prototype.

We know some people have differing opinions on the whole idea of satellite TV, but we like it, and we use it. By registering as a mobile user with DirecTV, you can receive local channels from home as far as 400 miles away, and you also have national feeds for the major networks available. If you have DirecTV at home, you are just charged the same amount monthly for the mobile receiver as if it was located in your home, and you receive all the same subscription channels as at home. A pay-per-view movie is ordered by cell phone since there is no permanent connection to the telephone network.

The satellite dome is installed midway between the air conditioning units, so it is above the galley (see photos and diagram below). The dual LNB cable is run from the dome to the entertainment center over the cab, and connected to the satellite tuner. The tuner connects to the satellite controller, and to the satellite receiver mounted above the Bose Wave Radio. The output signal goes from the satellite receiver to the antenna switch / amplifier box, where it is then available to either TV, or VCR, or AUX device. The switch box power is left off except for when it is used as an amplifier with the batwing, and has manual switches to select the output desired for a particular device. Of course, the regular batwing antenna can be used for local stations while parked at any time as well.

We have had no problems with the system in either rig, and find it works like a dream going down the road, or while parked. Obviously, one avoids obstructed views to the southern sky, and it is recommended to leave both the dish controller and receiver on. They draw very little current it seems.

As with any dish system, heavy rain or snow can interfere with the signal, but our experience is that the system does a great job of acquiring a signal with no intervention at all. King-dome sells a spray-on product for the dish to help move water droplets off the dome, and the instructions say the treatment is good for up to a year depending on the environment.

As we have a second LCD in the bedroom, an infrared remote repeater is mounted near the rear TV so we can control the DirecTV receiver from the back. We could install a second receiver, but really haven't needed to do that. Len C sends.
Attachments
King-Dome located between air conditioning units.
King-Dome located between air conditioning units.
IM000515.JPG (116.84 KiB) Viewed 8376 times
Satellite tuner is behind satellite controller (black panel on left of photo). Receiver mounts on middle shelf behind smoked glass door. Switch is at back in center area behind TV.
Satellite tuner is behind satellite controller (black panel on left of photo). Receiver mounts on middle shelf behind smoked glass door. Switch is at back in center area behind TV.
IM000547.JPG (149.43 KiB) Viewed 8376 times
The wiring diagram. Note the output of the satellite receiver actually goes through the switch box and not directly to the TV as shown here.
The wiring diagram. Note the output of the satellite receiver actually goes through the switch box and not directly to the TV as shown here.
King-Dome Wiring Diagram.jpg (21.17 KiB) Viewed 8376 times
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I have had the KingDome stationary dish put on last winter, and used it just last week. I do have the one with the dual LNB (manual switch) for HD. (Dish 500 compatible.)

It's a little more complicated because I kind of have to know what's broadcast from Sat 119 and what's from 110, and I have to switch if I want to see something from one and/or the other. But most of the HD programming is on 110 and most of the other basic stuff is on 119 so it's not that hard to remember.

I can get reception unless it's RAGING STORMING rain. Light to moderate rain doesn't affect it. I haven't used that stuff that you put on the dome for rain fade yet. Haven't needed it.

I don't have in-motion because I travel alone and I simply cannot watch TV and drive at the same time, so it makes no sense. I have a CB with weather alert and weather band, which helps some. I can stop and pick up Sirius on the Toad (Weather channel) if I need to. I am seriously thinking about adding Sirius in the MH. I like it.

Last 2 weeks of camping, I didn't even bother to hook up to the cable at the CG. I have more available on my Dish than they offer in Cable. If I want locals, I can switch to the batwing anytime (so long as I'm someplace near TV stations. Not all places can get any locals of any kind).

My Sat signal doesn't go directly into the TV either. I have a sound system that all the inputs go through before going into the TV. I use a fibreoptic optical audio cable from the Satellite receiver to the audio receiver. I have a DVI to HDMI for video from sat, plus Component from the DVD player. (Hence, all the cables.)

But it rocks.

Trish, over and out.
John S.

Post by John S. »

If you want in motion sat reception get the TracStar 360 or the KVH r6 or is it a6; I can not remember the number. THey are great units. I have a tracstar now and had a KVH on my other coach and loved them. No need for park cable and you can use it to get weather reports and maps to make decisions on travel both in the snow and for thunderstorms and tornados. We have used it extensively and will be installing one on our new BF soon.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”