Ready to buy, help me decide

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

abbyarts

Ready to buy, help me decide

Post by abbyarts »

although there are no BFs anywhere near me (closest is 8 hrs away as far as I know) they top my list. If anyone near Telluride, CO owns one I'd love to see it in person before buying. Otherwise, my choices are a '99 24' w/ about 30kmiles and rear bed - not many made this size. The Iowa factory has a 22' '02 w/ about 18k miles and an '05 rear bath w/ about 30k miles. I lean toward the 22' since its my first RV and I have to get used to driving the size, plus it has a self-leveler, very appealing. The '99 is at a different dealer but also a plane ride away, and I worry about it being an older model but love bed in back. The '05 is gorgeous tan interior. Can you help me decide? I'm a brand new member to the forum, about 10 minutes! Oh, and its mostly just me and two dogs, sometimes a bit of company. Look forward to hearing from you!
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Abby - don't wory about the difference between 22' and 24' -- you won't know the difference -- after you have driven it say 100 miles you should feel very comfortable behind the wheel -- I would say look at the floor plan and base your decession on that -- the Born Free's are very well built and will last you a long time -- on any used vehicle it is always best to check the AGE of the tires don't just look at the tread as most people will never wear out an RV tire -- if the are over 4 years old have a tire dealer check them over for condition and how long they should last you --you will enjoy a Born Free coach -- Bob Newby
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Tough, maybe impossible, question to answer. I don't know how you could make a good decision without seeing them all in person, and driving them.

I have my first BF and it's a 26' rear side bed model. We opted for that model so we could have the made up bed. Others on here and elsewhere would never buy a RSB model. Every model has it's functional properties and it's compromises. You have to decide what fits you, for what you intend to use it for.

We have 2 large dogs, and I don't honestly think we could go smaller than 26'. Our previous RV's were 32 and 33' class A's, and 29 and 23' class C's. OUt of all of them, the BF is the best made, and the easiest to drive. If you have driven a mini-van or SUV, you probably won't have a problem driving any of the models. After a while, you become so comfortable that you have to actually remember you are driving something larger. My wife feels comfortable driving the BF, but she did not drive the 2 class A's we had.

I guess if I had to make a trip to see them, I would choose the factory visit. WHile there, you will have the chance to see the other models and floor plans, see how they are made, maybe see some alterations others have made to theirs. Or, you could fly to Nashville TN next week and see about 100 BF's of various ages and models, plus the factory will have new 2008 models on display.

Decisions, decisions..........

Good luck with whatever you decide, and keep us posted.

John
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

AbbyArts:

There are lots of Club members that live in Colorado. Perhaps one of them is an "Owner Agent" for the Born Free factory. These folks are selected (and compensated) by Born Free to show and permit test drives of personally owned vehicles. Give the factory a call to see if one lives near you: 1-866-267-6373.

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Abby, first don't get too excited about mileage. The E450 and E350 chassis with the V10 are good for a quarter million miles minimum with regular maintenance. My '01 23RK had 64k miles on it when I bought it this spring and I've got something over 68k on it now. I just replaced the original equipment tires. They had about a third of their tread left, but the sidewalls were checking badly.

Then, the tough part is trying to figure out what you really want in a coach. Unfortunately, none of us can help you much with that. And, you'll find your "wants", "likes", and "needs" may change after you buy whatever you get. That's why there are so many Born Free models!

Have fun and happy hunting!

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
KTnLen

Post by KTnLen »

Abby: I echo the sentiments expressed by others, especially being concerned about the length of these things. There are a few techniques to learn, but an open parking lot will give you lots of confidence in your ability to handle anything from a 22-ft to 32-ft coach.

The Wilkinsons just purchased a 32-ft President a few months ago, and they live near Lake City CO, about 25 miles east of you (as the soaring eagle flies that is). In Colorado, there are at least 18 units of the full variety of size and model years registered with the Born Free Leap'n Lions club.

Perhaps you didn't notice the Born Free for sale forum on the index page, at http://www.bornfreervclub.org/bulletin_ ... de827832ad where you might find some interesting for sale by owner listings.

There are about 20 listed for sale with RVTraderOnline too, at: http://www.rvtraderonline.com/adsearch.html -- at that site, just enter "Born Free" for the Manufacturer, and click on "Begin Search" to see all the listings. You can sort by price, year, photos, etc to tailor the results.

As others have stated, a trip to the factory is also an option, but one of the owner agents will instill confidence more readily.

Good luck with your decision process. We're all glad to help. Len C sends.
Ann P

Ready to buy,help me decide

Post by Ann P »

Hi Abby, here's another Colorado BF owner;got your private message too. I've been to Norwood and Telluride-you are a long way from Boulder. If you have any desire to come to Boulder/Denver the next few weeks , I'll be glad to show you my 2005 26' RSB , and there are other BF owners along the Front Range. I happened to buy my coach from a dealer in Phoenix, when it was less than a year old and had 11k miles. Found it while searching the internet. At that time the factory didn't any any late model RSBs, and I didn't know about the club owners' For Sale site (this website seems much improved now). I got a fairly good deal on the coach but did not enjoy buying from a dealer, and would have preferred going to the factory if it hadn't been winter.

I think it's a great idea to go to Nashville for the big BF Rally, if you can get a good airfare on short notice. There's also a BF factory store in Junction City, KS. I think you are on the right track, because Born Free really does seem to have the best- made Class C. When I stop at tire stores or Ford dealers or even in the campgrounds, there are always people who come over and admire and ask about the coach.

I've been a full-time RVer for a year and a half, and have been pretty happy with my RSB model. I love the full-time bed and being able to roll out and fall in the bathroom. However, I'm trading it in to BF for a new 24' RB, mostly because I need the bigger closets and storage, plus some of the new features in the 2008s. The jackknife sofabed is comfortable for one person and one bed-hogging dog. Your choice of layout depends on how you intend to use the RV- for short or long trips, and what means the most to you. I think the 24' will be a little bit easier to park and such. When I started, the 26' felt huge to me. It's easy to drive on the highway (until you get into big cities,which are scary anyway, so now I avoid them or only go in on weekends) but made me nervous in traffic, as did backing into RV sites. It takes time and practice to feel comfortable. I see single gals driving big trucks with fifth-wheel trailers, or big motorhomes, and realize my coach is relatively small!

The best thing I did was go to the Life on Wheels RV conferences ( try Tucson in March '08) where you can go to many educational classes, meet other RV wannabes or newbies, and also get RV driving lessons, though you'll need a rig for that. You'll also need to winterize your coach if you plan to keep it in Norwood. That's something I don't miss about Colorado , and the big reason I retired and became a full-timer...wanted a warmer place for the winter, somewhere.

Hope this has been helpful. If you are going to travel to any of these places to see RVs, September is a good time! good luck.
abbyarts

thanks

Post by abbyarts »

thanks Ann, your post was hugely helpful. Last night I decided (I think) that the 24' on up is just too much right now, much as I'd like the space. The 22' will get me down to Florida this winter, and also be handier for just getting away on summer weekends. Feel like I just haven't found exactly the right rig yet, but it will turn up. That one 22' at the factory got sold last night as I was mulling it over, and the 24' in St. L, like you say, I just wasnt trusting that I would get treated right by the dealer, and was worried about driving that size all the way back here by myself for a first time drive. I know when I go with my gut, it all works out, eventually. Can't make it to Tenn. but the fellow from Iowa is going and may come back with more for sale.
Mel Wilbur

Ready to buy

Post by Mel Wilbur »

Hi AbbyArts,

Stay in touch with the factory after the National rally in Nashville. Word is out that the factory team will be offering some great deals so there will probably be some excellent trades available.
Mel & Connie
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

I suggest that you take a few test drives in different size rigs before you decide just based on the size you think you will feel comfortable driving.

I did not THINK I would be comfortable driving a 26' er. I test drove it, found it wasn't as bad as I thought, and now after a few years, I can tell you I can back it into nearly any place, and I can drive it into placed that would surprise anyone. I've had men just sit and watch in amazement as I backed into spots with trees, other cars and trucks int he way, etc.

There isn't a born Free made that's difficult to drive once you're used to it. I tow a jeep, so with the 26' of MH, plus the who knows how many feeet of jeep and tow gear, I'm probably getting close to 40'. It's not that hard, most of the time. Like anyone, once in a while, I pull something stupid (like cutting to far and having to unhook the jeep because I wasn't far enough into the spot and the trucker in front of me was nowhere to be found until I got out of the lane) duh! but that's not something that I do often, only when tired. I know better. At least I do now.

But if my 17 year old sister could drive a full size school bus for 8 years...you can drive anything. It just takes a little practice. Buy a rig that suits your needs, and then just resolve to learn how to handle it like a champ. Unless you're handicapped severely, and I mean severely, there's no reason you can't become very proficient at any rig that you like.

If I wanted/needed a 40 footer, I'd get one. I know I can do it.
You can too.

:) Trish
abbyarts

thanks everyone

Post by abbyarts »

I finally had the brilliant idea to measure the length of my barn (where I'd store the rv) The 22' will just fit, so that helped decide. I also want the unit to replace my 20' workvan and the 22 will do that better than the 24'. Plus better gas mileage, so I'd love to find a 22 with low miles in tan w/ sofabed and cabover. Anyone? I'll keep in touch w/ the factory and go visit the folks nearby.
Roger H

Re: thanks everyone

Post by Roger H »

abbyarts wrote:I finally had the brilliant idea to measure the length of my barn (where I'd store the rv) The 22' will just fit, so that helped decide. I also want the unit to replace my 20' workvan and the 22 will do that better than the 24'. Plus better gas mileage, so I'd love to find a 22 with low miles in tan w/ sofabed and cabover. Anyone? I'll keep in touch w/ the factory and go visit the folks nearby.
Now THAT was a good idea! Your gas mileage won't vary much though from a 22' BFT to a 24'. Wind, lead in your accellerator foot and tire pressure will affect the gas mileage much more than the extra 2' and couple of hundred pounds. Expect 10 mpg, and if you get better mileage than that you'll get to be thrilled! Actually I'd guess that the BFT may get 12 mpg regularly. I manage to drive into a 30 mph headwind everywhere I drive mine, and I'm sure that has a huge effect on mileage.

Just keep your eyes open, and search all of the on-line sources every day. Google can be a marvelous tool.

Roger
abbyarts

and how about handling for the BFT in windy conditions?

Post by abbyarts »

As the wind is blowing today, this ? blew into my head; sounds from what I've read that the consensus is the 22' handles beautifully in strong winds - would you all agree, those of you w/ 22'?
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

Abby, they pretty much all perform better in the wind than just about any other moho, even with the cabover. The only issue is how hard the drivetrain has to work to keep it going forward!

Roger
Bogiesmom

Post by Bogiesmom »

Hi! We are currently in Yellowstone, on day seven in our 22 foot 2007 "BFT", and loving it. We got ours in May, and my husband, myself, and a 55 pound Basset Hound are sharing space and really enjoying ours. It's like driving a large SUV, easy to park, handles great on interstates and in heavy city traffic, and is doing great in the two lane curvy, steep grade ( 8%) roads in Yellowstone. It's very stable with the dual wheels. We've had a fifth wheel, a class B, a 24 foot motorhome, and the 22 foot Born Free. We are happiest with the 22 foot Born Free. If we had to do it all over we would buy the 22 foot Born Free first and be done with it. Great quality, and I'm sure you would enjoy traveling in one.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”