K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Roger H

K&N Fuel Injection Performance Kit

Post by Roger H »

I put one on my Y2K Excursion V10 a few years ago, and saw a 2mpg increase in gas mileage, from 12.5 mpg average to 14.5 mpg. That stayed constant for the three years I had it. I was so impressed, I installed one on my V6 Tundra. The percentage of fuel mileage increase wasn't as great, from 18 highway to about 21 highway, but still significant.

So, a couple of weeks ago, I ordered a new one for the Born Free. I've been averaging about 9.5 mpg with it (over about 4k miles since I've had it... it has 68k on it now) with the stock air cleaner and intake. I installed it this afternoon. It'll be interesting to see what it does. BTW, it was $293 shipped from A.J.USA in San Diego.

For the life of me, I can't understand how the FIPK really works since the amount of air entering the intake is governed by the mass airflow sensor, but they really seem to work! K&N claims a 17hp increase at the axle with the FIPK installed on the V10 E450.

BTW, I'm also aware of all of the controversy regarding whether or not the K&N filters as well, and whether or not the oil is alleged to coat the MAS... it has been my experience that I've had no fine dust in the intake and the MAS has never malfunctioned. I probably wouldn't have put it on if I drove lots of gravel, but I don't... it's all paved stuff.

I'm going on a couple of hundred mile trip this weekend... I'll keep you posted.

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”