Frozen generator

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Jack and Betty

Frozen generator

Post by Jack and Betty »

We have a 2005 BFT. The generator has 15 hiours on it. Yesterday I thought I would run it a while as the manual says to run the generator to exercize it. When I hit the start button, lost all 12 vdc to the coach. turned off the disconnect switch and than back on and hadd power restored. Tried to start again and same result. Acts as though the generator is frozen. I had run it in the past. Looking for help.
thanks.
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Not sure what your problem might be with the generator, but I'm convinced that the Generac is no Onan. The original owner of my coach had to have the Generac replaced by the BF factory within the first 9 mos. of ownership. I'd call the factory and see if they'll repair or replace yours. Lucky (?) for you its just a short drive up the I35 or US169.

Good luck,
Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
whemme

Generator Failure

Post by whemme »

I also would not know the cause of you generator problem. However only 15 hours of use in two years is really not enough time on your generator to keep it exercised properly. I would recommend that the generator be run a minimum of 1.0 hour each month - even during the winter months while the motorcoach may be in storage.
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad
Roger H

Post by Roger H »

To add to what Bill said, the Onan book that came with my coach says to run it TWO hours a month at a medium load... to keep it exercised. I'd always heard one hour as well... but...

Roger
'06 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis
(Former: '01 Born Free 23 RK)
Dinghy: '16 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with a Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar.
Traveling with Sir Winston and Lady Rae (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels)
robert newby

Post by robert newby »

Hi -- on the subject of running your generator -- don't just run it for a couple of minutes to make sure it will start -- let it run long enough to get it up to full temperature and turn on something in your coach to get the generator to generate electricty -- I generally run the heat strip or AC depending on the outside temp --- BobN
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

robert newby wrote:Hi -- on the subject of running your generator -- don't just run it for a couple of minutes to make sure it will start -- let it run long enough to get it up to full temperature and turn on something in your coach to get the generator to generate electricty -- I generally run the heat strip or AC depending on the outside temp --- BobN
I agree wholeheartedly with the above. The purpose of running a generator for a period under load is not only to exercise the engine, but to heat the generator windings enough to drive off any moisture that has gotten into the insulation on the generator windings. I used to operate large generators and they were equipped with resistance heaters to keep the moisture from breaking down the insulation. The same thing can happen to our small generators when they are exposed to moist air...think outside storage...for long periods of time without being run under load. Simply running the generator at idle for a short time will not drive out all the moisture.
All that said, I have had trouble once or twice when I attempted to start me Generac when I was operating on shore power using the converter alone without the batteries being connected. Turning the disconnect switch back on always resulted in a start. If you had a frozen engine as you postulate, then the current draw of the starter might possibly draw the voltage down low enough to drop out the solenoid on the disconnect switch. I'd put a digital voltmeter on the circuit and see what was happening when attempting a start. It could be a faulty starter and/or connection to the starter that is the problem and not the engine itself. I just had trouble starting my lawn tractor and thought the engine was frozen also but when I removed the starter and cleaned the contacts for the external connections, it started right up.
Jack and Betty

frozen generator

Post by Jack and Betty »

It wasn't the generator. I called Kim at Born Free and he thought it would be a faulty relay. Sent me a new one and I just installed it. Every thing works fine. The relay is located under the floor in front of the passenger side rear wheels. Not to hard to get to.

Jack
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Dave & janice Potter,

It's my understanding that we shouldn't be starting our generators while being plugged into shore power. I think you can surge the electric system and cause problems to whatever you're plugged into.

I always unplug from shore (and make sure I have battery power) before I turn on the genset.

On a general note, I have 2005 and my genset has about 60 or 70 hours on it. For reference.

Trish
LeAnn

cold storage

Post by LeAnn »

For those of us "newbies" that have to store our BF during very cold winter months, what is suggested with regards to the generators?
LeAnn
North Dakota
Dave&JanPotter

Post by Dave&JanPotter »

Trisha wrote:Dave & janice Potter,

It's my understanding that we shouldn't be starting our generators while being plugged into shore power. I think you can surge the electric system and cause problems to whatever you're plugged into.

I always unplug from shore (and make sure I have battery power) before I turn on the genset.

On a general note, I have 2005 and my genset has about 60 or 70 hours on it. For reference.

Trish
Trish,
Thanks for taking the time to post. While I don't agree with your explanation about a surge damaging "whatever you're plugged into", I try not to do it generally for other reasons. When I worked for a living, I spent some time as a marine engineer and have plugged ships into shore power all over the world so I am well aware of the procedures. I just get forgetful in my old age..... :wink:
John S.

Re: cold storage

Post by John S. »

LeAnn wrote:For those of us "newbies" that have to store our BF during very cold winter months, what is suggested with regards to the generators?
LeAnn
North Dakota
If it is not so cold as to make starting it too hard you can run it and turn on your heat strip in the ac to put a load on the unit. If it is way too cold then do not even attempt it and wait till it warms up a bit. I have been in cold country and if you have to plug in your car then you should wait on starting up the genny.
Guy Carter

Post by Guy Carter »

While South Dakota isn't quite as cold as North Dakota, I've never had any trouble starting the gen set during the winter. I change the oil (15W40), air filter, & spark plug and add "Stabil" to the fuel tank prior to storing it in the barn. Then I drive it around to get a good mixture in the fuel tank with the gen set running to get the mixture into the fuel lines and the gen set's carb before storing it. I make a practise of running the gen set a minimum of 1 to 2 hrs every month under a load every month of the year. I also plug in a small electric heater (winter) when doing this to add to the load in addition to the ac's heat strip and fan motor. Priming the carb helps a lot and greatly reduces the "grinding" on the starter and battery drain. This has worked for me without having any issues with the gen sets in my units. Good luck with yours.
Steve

Post by Steve »

"It's my understanding that we shouldn't be starting our generators while being plugged into shore power. I think you can surge the electric system and cause problems to whatever you're plugged into."

In answer to Trisha's comment our 2005 24RB has a built in relay that switches between AC mains power and generator power and will not allow the mains to connect to the genset. I tested this today while connected to shore power (AC mains) then started the gen-set (Generac) after starting it took between 10 and 15 seconds before the relay kicked in and switched to generator power. When I turned off the genset the relay kicked back to shore power withing 5 secs. or less.
Steve
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Hmmm...there was something wrong with my parallax panel when I did it.

First, it tripped the breaker and turned off a whole row of garages...my neighbors who couldn't get their garage doors open weren't very happy with me :) I didn't know I did it until later.

But when I took the rig in for maintenance last winter, I told them I had trouble with a really high-pitch whistle coming from the panel (that nobody past 12 should be able to hear, but I haven't got any high-end hearing loss yet. Don't know why). Back to topic... the other thing that was happening was that when I had the battery bypass switched (consider, say, a prolonged period of being plugged into shore power and not wanting to boil away the contents of the batteries)... and the furnace kicked on, it would flip the main breaker or some such, and there was a 10-20 second period where all the power was out, then it would all surge back on and all the alarms were going.

They replaced the power panel in my rig last November and it's not been an issue since.

So perhaps my personal experience was an early failure in the main power conversion panel.

Some day after warranty, I may switch to the other panel and do some other electrical tweaks. I'd love to add solar panels but don't have any roof space left. Maybe flex solar panels rolling up onto the awning rails ! A solar awning. LOL

Maybe I should go get the patent for it before I laugh.

Some hack somewhere told me that we couldn't do it becuase it would do as I said before. Teach me to just parrot something someone else says without doing my homework.

Trish
Trisha

Post by Trisha »

Now to REALLY get back on topic. I've started my genset without difficulty (I did PRIME it first) up to -20F. I don't plug my car in until it's colder than that. Actually my jeep doesn't have a plug in (I should get one). Or move south.

So I still go out and run the genset, run the heat strip, etc. even when it's quite cold out. Below about 20 below and I'll wait until it warms up to the tens or single digits below before doing it.

Keep the genset well maintained and it shouldn't be a problem.

Trish

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”