Pulling an Enclosed Trailer

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

kent0826

Pulling an Enclosed Trailer

Post by kent0826 »

For the past several years we have attended RV shows and keep gravitating to the Born Frees. I have visited this forum many times and have finally registered. As my retirement date nears I've become more serious about what it would be like to travel in an RV a month or so at a time.
I have a question for you seasoned travellers: I have seen many RVs pulling an enclosed trailer. I assume it contains a motorcycle or ATV or perhaps extra gear? What is done with the trailer when arriving in an RV park? Are they unhitched and kept elsewhere in the park? I'm thinking of bringing a motorcycle for local and extended touring. One of many questions but thought I'd start with this one.

Potential 22 BFT or 24 RB.
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Kent0826;

Your answer will depend on where you are staying. Some campgrounds will have sites large enough for you to unhook the trailer and push it to the side, others may not. I tow my Jeep a lot, and have had only 1 issue with keeping the Jeep at my site, and that was in Yellowstone National park. The sites at the campground were very small.

Ideally, a pull thru site would be perfect. Even with that, sometimes the utility hookups force you to park close to the rear of the site.

Another question is; Will the rear entry of the BFT interfere with you getting in and out when the trailer is connected?

I have a friend who pulls his motorcycle in an enclosed trailer, and he has not had a problem with a site. He has a 32' Allegro, so if he can fit, you should not have a problem with a 22 or 24' model.

Your profile does not say where you are located. If you correct that, maybe someone local would be willing to give you a tour of their Born Free.

John
Taobeemr

Post by Taobeemr »

Hi Kent0826:

I am pulling out tonight to go to a rally in Virginia Beach, and am towing my Pace Trailer with a motorcycle inside. I have a BF 26RSB, and there has not been a problem yet. So far, I keep the trailer hooked up to the BF, and have become proficient in backing it up when needed (practice makes perfect!) :)
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

We also pull a Pace enclosed trailer with our 26RSB. It contains two motorcycles, our golf bags, an EZ up instant shelter and our grill. We prefer to keep the trailer with us at the side, sometimes hooked up, sometimes to the side. We use it as a garage to store our bikes, when they are not being ridden. The EZ up shelter is used only if we cannot keep thet railer at the site.

In terms of where to put it, it really is no different from towing a car behind you. Most sites have enough room to put both. The trick is, the trailer is not self driving and much too big to move around by hand. So, wherever you go, you can only move the trailer with the BF and tighter/smaller CGs might be challenging.

Have fun!

Chris.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”