Going to the factory Saturday

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Covfam

Post by Covfam »

Will do ... he has already contacted me and told me where we can get a discount on our room if we mention we are there to see the born free factory.

I get the idea Humbolt is like the town of 3 thousand that We live in.
our town is the county seat and largest town in the count of20 thousand people and we have 3 thousand of it :P.

So with my wife being the doctor at the only clinic in for the whole county so the clinic & hospital has alot of pull in our little modern mayberry :)
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

Mel & Connie, you are so right, we both forgot the gas cooktop. :lol:

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
litehous

Going to the factory Saturday

Post by litehous »

On the back of the camper in the lower left corner, there is a plate with the date the unit was built. I bought a left over 2002, that was built in 2000, as a 2001. I didn't know it was a year older than I thought I bought. Know what you are buying.
RVN4US

Post by RVN4US »

John

The tow bar on the 99-01 Born Free, at least the 23RK needs a 18" tow bar as the pin hole is way back. It is just short of impossible to drill a hole for a short draw bar account of the bumper design. I was lucky to have the factory long draw bar with the unit when I purchase the unit.

Rich
bill crommett

Post by bill crommett »

Remember that any motor home is built with several compramises. Be aware that there will be things that you may have overlooked on the initial walk-through.
Some of the compromises to consider are: Size of the bathroom, wet shower,closet space, table size, drivers cabin size, co-pilots seat.
The biggest problem I have with our BFT is the crowded cab arrangement. I have long legs, and there is a problem getting comfortable.
whemme

Born Free Rear Hitch

Post by whemme »

The standard supplied hitch on the rear of Born Free coaches is rated for 5000 lbs but the throat depth of the hitch is 4" deeper than standard. This should not be a problem at least if you use a Blue Ox motorhome mounted tow bar as Blue Ox can supply their tow bars with the required 4" extra length tongue to fit the Born Free hitch.

You probably should use a Blue Ox 4" or 6" drop receiver anyway since most car type toads will have their base plate hookups significantly lower than the hitch receiver on the rear of the Born Free coach. The purpose of the drop receiver is to keep the tow bar as level as possible between the coach and the toad.

The Blue Ox website link for their selection of drop receivers with photo and P/N's is http://www.blueox.us/Accessories/droprcvrs.htm

The two drop receivers to consider would generally be:
BX88194 4" Drop Receiver - 4 Inches Longer
BX88195 6" Drop Receiver - 4 Inches Longer

If you use such a drop receiver, then the tow bar itself can use the standard shorter length tongue rather than the optional one that is 4" longer.
Attachments
Blue Ox Drop Receivers Photo.jpg
Blue Ox Drop Receivers Photo.jpg (10.72 KiB) Viewed 5901 times
Bill Hemme - Spencer, Iowa
E-mail: whemme@earthlink.net
2002 Born Free (Ford E-450 V10) 26' RSB
2016 VW Golf GTI - toad

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”