Roof AC unit leaking rain water

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Willie

Water leak

Post by Willie »

Sam – We have 22 ft BFT but our problem and fix may apply to you also. We had considerably more than a quart leak at the rear of the coach in a rain storm. Last year at the Homecoming in Humbolt I mentioned it to Tim (?) and he sent some people out to the campground and resealed the seam where the rear cap meets the roof. No more water leaks. At no charge!! I don’t know how that much water got in a hairline crack in the calking that you could hardly see. I don’t know anyone who does it but they recommend recalking all seams every two years.
On a different coach I had a leak around the air conditioner. I took the inside cover off and tightened the four hold-down screws that compress a foam rubber seal, which solved the problem.
Bill
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

We had a small leak while using the a/c and it wasn't raining :? .

TAke the a/c vents off and you will see some long bolts on the 2 front corners. Mine were very loose, which allowed the a/c drain off water to seep under the gasket. I guess depending on how "unlevel" we were determined if it leaked or not.

This is quite common in all motorhomes. However, I could only find 2 bolts in the front of this a/c. I could not find the 2 for the rear, which I've had on my previous coaches. Unless I have to drop the whole inside cover to get to the rear ones?

Anyway, tightening the 2 front ones solved my problem. I would check and tighten them annually.

John
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Sam;

Hopefully that fixes it. It's probably the cheapest and easiest fix you ever made :lol:

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”