Rock guards to prevent damage to toad

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Bruce Gregory

Rock guards to prevent damage to toad

Post by Bruce Gregory »

Does anyone want to share their knowledge of rock guards and their experience with what kind works best with Born Free motorhomes. Am looking at Camping World catalog and trying to decide which is best. :?:
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

Bruce;

I had a rock guard on my Allegro class A motorhome. I don't remember the name of it, but it was made of heavy rubber strips, probably about 8" wide. They were attached to a metal rail (angle iron) across the top which mounted to the motorhome. Driving down the highway, I could see it in the backup monitor. The flaps were almost straight out in the wind, and not doing much good, in my opinion. I kept them on for about a year and then took them off. I would imagine the stringy ones that look like horse tails would be even less effective.

I have towed 3 jeeps over 40,000 miles and have never found a rock ding in my hood or grill, and have never had a chip in my windshield from towing. But, driving my Jeep on the Garden State Parkway one day, a rock kicked up and put a nice hole in my windshield.

Maybe a trip to Alaska would make me rethink the need for one. If that was the case I would look at the shield type that mounts on the tow bar.

On another note, a friend of mine has a huge 40' Renegade and he pulls his Jeep on a flat bed trailer. This past summer his Jeep windshield cracked while he was towing it. The windshield has to be over 6' high on the trailer, behind a high motorhome, and it still got hit somehow.

John
Mel Wilbur

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I have to go along with John, we have 71,000 miles on our BF with 90% of the time towing and have had no problem with damage without using a shield of any type. Living in New England any of the small dings in the paint was probably caused driving the car especially in the winter with the salt and sand on the roads.

With the overhang, mudflaps and the height of the rear bumper on the Born Free coaches not much gets bounced on the toad. A small bottle of touch up paint works for me.
Mel & Connie
Bruce Gregory

Rock Guards to prevent damage to toad

Post by Bruce Gregory »

Thanks John and Mel. You just saved the expense and trouble putting on a guard.

Bruce

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”