batteries - covers- air compressors

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

MB & Tony

Post by MB & Tony »

This is our first winter as owners of a 26RB. We live in Montana, so needless to say we are learning quite a bit about winterizing procedures and using our BF in below freezing temperatures. We have a couple of questions, so once again we're seeking advice from more experienced members.

1. We've read in several places of the need to remove batteries from the coach when not in use during winter months, yet we have neighbors w/ other Class C's and trailers who say this isn't necessary. Any recommendations?

2. Also we're receiving mixed advice as to covering the entire coach while storing it outside. We've heard that the cloth covers can cause paint damage, as well as being difficult in the putting on and taking off, so we're leaning against this option. However, should we consider a small cover for the AC unit? If so, any particular brand/type?

3. Any suggestions for other air compressors for the tires? The onboard unit is helpful to supplement, but we're finding it somewhat slow.

Thanks. It is wonderful knowing that there are so many experienced Born Free owners with accumulated wisdom which you are willing to share.
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi MB & Tony,

1. A fully-charged battery will not freeze until it's -80 degrees fahrenheit per the interstate battery website. A discharged battery can freeze at 32 degrees fahrenheit. I've never removed ours but have made sure the batteries are ok by driving it or plugging it into shore power for short periods of time. Unless you have a "smart" converter (e.g. progressive dynamics with charge wizard) you really don't want to leave it plugged in all the time, as it can boil your batteries. If you want to leave it plugged in and don't use any big-current accessories, an inexpensive solution is to use a standard light timer for, say, an hour a day.

2. Covers that touch the motorhome can cause more damage (rubbing and trapping moisture) than they prevent. Some kind of structure (building or even fabric-over-a-frame) is better if you can arrange it. I've always left ours out in the winter and periodically clean off the snow. Whenever I've mentioned a barn, my wife talks about clapboard and windows and dormers and cupolas, and I refuse to spend more on a barn than we spent on the used motorhome.

3. I'm not aware of any 12-volt compressor that does a good job with truck tires. I don't have any good recommendations for a portable 120-volt compressor, as I've always used the single-tank one at the house.
Mel Wilbur

air compressor

Post by Mel Wilbur »

I use a 110v portable purchased from Grainger that works very well. It comes with all necessary accessories and uses a standard quick disconnect system and truck type air chuck to get at the rear duals same as you will find at a tire dealer. It is the WESTWARD Mdl. 3JR69 and can be found at www.grainger.com. It is compact enough to be carried without a problem.
Mel & Connie
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Regarding #1: As long as the batteries are kept fully charged, they are good to about 40-45 below zero. The freezing point rises as they discharge. If you are using the coach periodically throughout the winter or it is stored near your house where you can check the batts, I'd leave them in the coach. If you put the coach in a remote facility for long term storage, it might be better to take the batteries home, don't set them on concrete and keep a trickle charger on them.

Batteries require meticulous care. As soon as you return from a trip, use the battery disconnect switch or lift the ground cable from the batt. If the battery is left connected, make sure there are no major drains left on (ie., refridgerator, compartment light, furnace, etc.) and use a trickle charger or solar panels. Unless you disconnect the battery fully, there are still parasitic drains from devices like the gas detector, clocks, radios, tvs, etc.) Check the batteries a day or 2 after storage and then weekly or bi-weekly.

A 3-stage charger can make this a all a little easier because it can be left plugged in and it can save your batteries if you leave something turned on. This strategy also has its own set of risks. If you leave power on the coach for long unattended periods there are many potential points of failure.

Mike
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
BornFree_n_Now

air compressors

Post by BornFree_n_Now »

Air Lift heavy duty onboard 12 volt compressor (under couch), with 2 gallon air tank mounted under floor, on driver’s side, behind fill stems for airbags, dual needle gauge and controls in cab under passenger seat ~~ additional air line plumbed to driver’s side, by fill stems, so you can attach 25’ hose to service tires on coach and Toad ~~ great investment, and you can adjust ride of your airbags while driving for comfort, load balance, and additional rear clearance when going through deeper driveways, etc.
Larry & Sharon
2002 26' RSB
Suzuki X90 4x4 Toad
Bill Ruh

Post by Bill Ruh »

FWIW, modern-day batteries may be stored on concrete:

http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/ab ... chtalk.htm
http://www.powerstream.com/Storage.htm

And if the battery and electronics manufacturers aren't convincing, there's always Tom and Ray:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/ ... er/06.html
Mike Jean Bandfield

Post by Mike Jean Bandfield »

Back in the seventies I worked for a company that mfr'd central office switches. Telcos use very large banks of batteries capable of powering the entire town's telephone systems for up to 8 hours. In one case, the batteries we sent were placed directly on the concrete floor in the telco's warehouse where they sat for several weeks before the installation crew arrived. There were 16 brand new batteries, each the size of a small refrigerator ($$$$), and they were ruined. The delays, the expense and the hazmat issues made a lasting impression on me. Well, times change and you learn something everyday. Today has been better than most. Thanks for sharing the websites Bill.

PS. I particularly liked the Grandfather clause on Techtalk. ;)

[quote] Grandfather Clause

You may now be thinking that you know more than your grandfather, who tells you that batteries stored on concrete will be damaged. Next time your grandfather says that, I recommend that you just say “Okayâ€
Mike & Jean
2005 26' RSS Diesel
MB & Tony

Re: air compressor

Post by MB & Tony »

Mel Wilbur wrote:I use a 110v portable purchased from Grainger that works very well. It comes with all necessary accessories and uses a standard quick disconnect system and truck type air chuck to get at the rear duals same as you will find at a tire dealer. It is the WESTWARD Mdl. 3JR69 and can be found at www.grainger.com. It is compact enough to be carried without a problem.

Mel, and everyone else who was so helpful with ideas/thoughts/shared experiences, here's an update .

Mel, we did go with your suggested air compressor, and find it to work quite well. Thank you....

As to batteries, after talking w/ Kim Olson, I now better understand, and can begin to appreciate what we have in our Inverter. We requested, and had installed, a "Xantex Freedom 458 inverter/charger". This is a smart charger that should keep our batteries charged while plugged into AC without worry about boiling over/drying out... Our coach will be parked in our driveway so we can continue to check the batteries every few weeks until we have more confidence and knowledge.

As to the cover, Bill, you are absolutely right. My husband and I have also had that conversation about building a structure for our coach on our property, but we're not willing to take it to that level, yet. In the meantime I think we'll improvise a small cover for the window in our cab over. As I watch the snow settle onto and around that area, I think that a plastic cover, affixed w/ duct tape on 3 sides (bottom open for air), may be what we should consider. Any thoughts on this idea?

With thanks to all....
w5vthdonb

Post by w5vthdonb »

Hi
Well after seven RV's we still don't take the batteries out for the winter. With our BF we have to keep checked on them in the winter as I didn't install a three way charger like all the diesels I had did.
I have always covered the A/C in the winter and when we were not travelling in the summer do the the harse winters and summers here on the plains of Texas.
We also did this while living in OK, AR, and FL. This keeps the weater of the A/C shrouds. You can get these made for your unit at Camping World or any RV dealer. Money well spent. I don't cover nor have covered an RV as most of the ones I have seen had more damage from the canvas. I just make sure I wash and wax the unit at least every two to three months.
While working for the FAA all our facilites had back up generators and battery packs. We never sat the batteries on the concrete. They were alway elevated and sat on wood.
Good luck

Don USN ret.
2002 26'RSB
1987 toad
Bill Ruh

window cover

Post by Bill Ruh »

Hi MB & Tony,

I wouldn't cover the cabover window (we don't cover our house skylights), but then I'm not familiar with the flat glass type that you have, so perhaps I'm missing something.

FWIW, the little I know about Heart/Xantrex inverters is all good.

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”