How prices do go up!

Post your general and technical information, questions or responses in this forum. Viewing messages is open to all with no registration or log-in required. Prior to posting a new message or a response to an existing message, registration or login is required. Please do not post FOR SALE or WANTED ads in this section!

Moderator: bfadmin

Dallas Baillio

How prices do go up!

Post by Dallas Baillio »

I recently bought a 2008 Honda Accord EX, 4 cylinder. It is a replacement vehicle for a 1994 Honda Accord EX, 4 cylinder I purchased new in 1994. The Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price for the 2008 is $23,860. The 1994 MSRP was $19,750. In 14 years the MSRP increased by $4,110 or 20.8 percent.

I have researched the base model price of a 26 foot rear side bed (RSB) Born Free Motor Coach for 2001, 2003, 2006 and 2008.

2001 $69,995
2003 $76,995
2006 $90,180
2008 $99,995 (27 ft model)

Prices for 2001, 2003 and 2006 are taken from the base model price list provided by Born Free. Price for the 2008 model is taken from the Born Free web page.

The 7 year, $30,000 differental from 2001 to 2008 represents a 42.8 percent increase.

Make of the figures what you will. I provide them only so that readers of this forum may be informed consumers!
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
bcope01

Post by bcope01 »

At least you got in on the ground floor with your 2001 RSB. :D

Bill
Barb & Bill
2004 Born Free 22' Built for Two (Sold)
no longer towing a 2008 Smart ForTwo

Escondido, CA
mi99amigo

Post by mi99amigo »

The price increase in the Hondas are a bargain. Think of all the technological changes between 1994 and 2008. Airbags, ABS, CD player, etc etc. Many things are now standard features, that was once options, such as AC and power locks and windows.

As for the price increase in the BFs, I would imagine that some of that has to do with the growing demand of RVs in general. In the last 10+ years, the industry has gone thru quite a increase in sales.

As much as I know that the BFs are of high quality and well built, the base Ford chassis can't cost much more than $20k. So, the balance of $70k+ goes to the coach builder, yikes!
Lady Elaine

Post by Lady Elaine »

I just looked at the 32 ft price sheet. 2008 base price is $146,000. 2007 base price was $131,410. Wow! I think we will keep looking.

Elaine in NC
Covfam

Post by Covfam »

mi99amigo wrote:The price increase in the Hondas are a bargain. Think of all the technological changes between 1994 and 2008. Airbags, ABS, CD player, etc etc. Many things are now standard features, that was once options, such as AC and power locks and windows.

As for the price increase in the BFs, I would imagine that some of that has to do with the growing demand of RVs in general. In the last 10+ years, the industry has gone thru quite a increase in sales.

As much as I know that the BFs are of high quality and well built, the base Ford chassis can't cost much more than $20k. So, the balance of $70k+ goes to the coach builder, yikes!
yeah but this years increase for 08's is because ford did some work with thier chassies you look at the 08 it looks like ford f-series instead of a van plus the chassies is a different length, that increases the cost for BF plus born free started using a new insulation wrap that is expensive but doubles the RV value of your RV as well and with the chassies change they had to do some coach changes and in doing so the 08's also have more storage room plus a lot of other little things like new and improved tailights for the coach... these all are probably where the big price increase came from... its not like when the 04,05,06,07 were identical with different otpions its this is an upgrade ... plus Ed said that ford will only alow manufactuerers to use a model van for 3-4 years before getting a newer one (i checked with our local ford dealer when i was lookin and he said that yes in fact for does that for two reasons ... one it makes it easier to keep track of for recall and warranty work. and the other is it means better longevity for a line for ford instead of somoene buying 15 years worth of the van and then giving ford no more income for over a decade)

now i dont know how much of that is fact or just the ford dealer giving me a line of bull but it does make sense <shrugs>:)

Like ed said the 08 is the only one he would recomend to buy over an 07 for nearly the same price. in fact when i told him i was also interested in used Ed was suggesting the 05's as a better value than the 06&07's for us if we were looking used. so i didnt get the impression that he was trying to sell us brand new like most sleazy car dealers. he just wanted us to know the whole story and advantages and disadvantages of both. :)
Dallas Baillio

How prices do go up!

Post by Dallas Baillio »

Indeed, the Honda Accord 4 cylinder is a very good value. The 2008 includes electronic stability control, electronic brake distribution, front, front side, and side curtain air bags, a tire pressure monitoring system, and 45 more horsepower (compared to 1994) with minimal impact on MPG.

The 20.8 percent price increase for the Accord compares to a Bureau of Labor Statistics Consumer Price Index increase of 39.6 percent from September 1994 until September, 2007.

The 42.8 percent increase in the price of a Born Free RSB since 2001 compares to a 16.9 percent increase in the Consumer Price Index for the period from September 2001 until September, 2007.
Dallas Baillio
2001 26RSB
Born Free Leap'n Lions RV Club Member
jobrien

Post by jobrien »

I might be looking at this in the wrong way, but.....

Since the BF is made up of components from many different manufacturers, and they all raise their prices a little each year, those added costs are then calculated into the cost of the finished product.

I don't know how much the cost of a refrigerator, stove, a/c, furnace, tv, antenna, and on and on, has gone up individually in the same time frame.

Like I said, I don't know if I'm looking at it in the right way or not, but it makes sense to my feeble mind :shock:

John

Return to “General and Technical Information, Questions, and Responses”